Barrel back 19 as rear cockpit race boat

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

boatman14544

Barrel back 19 as rear cockpit race boat

Post by boatman14544 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Just looking for thoughts on converting a Barrelback 19 and stretching to build it into a rear cockpit long deck replica, basically a softer riding crackerbox on steroids with more of a 40"s look. Shallower shaft angle and move v-8 motor slightly forward.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Ahhh... the "Gentleman's Racer"...

I love that look.

I would get the study plans and do a little math.... You want to keep the centre of gravity about where the designer planned it.

Moving the motor forward a bit, but the driver aft could balance out.

I would also take a very careful look at the width of the deck towards the stern. I imagine you would want two seats there. That design is VERY narrow aft. Think about how wide or narrow you could make your cockpit.

Let us know how your thinkning proceeds.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Look at the Belle Isle. It is just a little longer than the BB19 and already has the rear cockpit designed in. And it is also a barrel stern boat. I think the conversion you propose would be very feasible with that design. It could easily handle the V8 as well.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Or... have a look at the Key Largo line drawings:

https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=745

Based on the Barrelback, but the utility version seems to have a more forward engine location, and the picture shows where the rear seats could be in relation to transom and engine.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:01 pm

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

I'd LOVE to see a Gentleman's Racer like that show up at our Gathering this coming October.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

rasorinc

Post by rasorinc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:38 pm

How about the Gentry streached out a bit?? Great Lines
Wood lasts generations.

PeterG

Re: Barrel back 19 as rear cockpit race boat

Post by PeterG » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 am

I would think the barrelback hulls have a bit less width to play with for a rear cockpit... the Key Largo has a good engine placement and lines for a gentlemens racer, but I think the Biscayne with it's more "standard" tumblehome in the stern would be a great choice to start with. Look up GarWood's 16' Gentlemen's racer, or look at the version that Macatawa Bay Boat Works is advertising... the lines, engine placement, etc. This could be a fun project...
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Look up Andrew H Smith he's from the Atlanta area (sorry guys not a Glen L) he built a real nice Gentelmans Racer .Beat me out at a show in central Fl.He did a real nice job. Fast and stable he's running a 350 C.I. sounds great too

Signor72

Post by Signor72 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:17 am

Did these plans bear fruit?

It's something I'm considering in the barrelback / key largo.

Was wondering about the possibility of putting single passenger seats alongside the engine bay and moving the drivers seat back to where the back row is on the barrelback.

Was thinking I'd need a narrow inline 6 to reduce the width of the engine bay.

Might also move the fuel tank forward depending on balance point.

I currently have no idea how to calculate the balance point.

Return to “Design Modifications”