Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fastener Kits & Books
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:25 pm 

Are the Glen-L fastener kits the best way to buy the needed fasteners for building a boat? I am refering to the fastener kit for the monaco Item 68-716 for $491.32. Would it be more expensive to buy the required quantities of nails and screws individually and not in the kit? I also am going to get a few books when I order the fasteners, what do you guys think of these: ("Boatbuilder's Notebook", "Boatbuilding with Plywood", "Inboard Motor Installation", "How to Fiberglass a boat Book & DVD", and "How to wire Your Boat & Install a Hydraulic Steering System Teleseminar")? I would like to have as much information as possible while build my dream boat.

Thanks,

Mike Nash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:03 pm 

Mike
I will leave the answer about the fasteners to those with experience.
BWP and IMI would be considered the "texts" for sure, and BN, HTFABB are very good as well.
I may be biased, but I would like to think that the "teleseminar" is a good source as well. :) :shock:
As much info as possible is always a good thing.
The only dumb question is the one not asked...

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/index.html Number26

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 pm 

Hey you are the "man behind the teleseminar". What is the teleseminar? Is it just an audio cd or is there video of your boat and its systems included? I am seriously considering hydraulic steering when the time comes, and also have concerns about wireing so I'm sure your video will be in the order!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:27 pm 
n.mike,

These are all good books and stuff....highly recommended.

I sent you a PM,look for it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:41 am 

Mike
Just audio no video. After you hear it , you will have lots more to read and research :D

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/index.html Number26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 am 

Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.
n.mike wrote:
Are the Glen-L fastener kits the best way to buy the needed fasteners for building a boat? I am refering to the fastener kit for the monaco Item 68-716 for $491.32. Would it be more expensive to buy the required quantities of nails and screws individually and not in the kit?

I guess if you know timber and hardware, and have the time to get around to find the prices, then you might buy them elsewhere and save a few dollars. For most new-comers though, getting the guranteed right item, decent known quality for the job, at a reasonable price, in the right quantities, ready to go is much more important.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:56 pm 

You got me there! I will go with the kit.

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:08 pm 

I think it comes down to putting out the Big bucks and having the stuff you need, there when you need it.
The other way is a piece at a time, as you need it.
When you compare the cost of all those trips in gas and time shopping, against the package arriving by some shipper, its make the choice much easier. Buy the kit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm 

Well guys after thinking about the matter for a while, I think I will build the squirt before I build the Monaco. Something about a boat that is 1/2 the length, a fraction of the cost, and uses almost the same construction methods (I know there are differences) that makes sense, thus allowing me to to "dip my toe" into the boat building pool before I jump in headfirst. I figure I will gain experince with faring, finishing the hull with mahogany, and fiberglassing. I would like to get the finished hull as polished and "pretty" as possible, and make it look as much like its future bigger sister as possible. The cool part is that we have an old Johnson 25 hp outboard, that was replaced on another boat, sitting around. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm 

You have lots of still water around Billings. How about starting with the Mr. John!
Quick, good learner and useful forever, easily stored, and no motor needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:52 am 
n.mike wrote:
Well guys after thinking about the matter for a while, I think I will build the squirt before I build the Monaco. Something about a boat that is 1/2 the length, a fraction of the cost, and uses almost the same construction methods (I know there are differences) that makes sense, thus allowing me to to "dip my toe" into the boat building pool before I jump in headfirst. I figure I will gain experince with faring, finishing the hull with mahogany, and fiberglassing. I would like to get the finished hull as polished and "pretty" as possible, and make it look as much like its future bigger sister as possible. The cool part is that we have an old Johnson 25 hp outboard, that was replaced on another boat, sitting around. What do you guys think?

Mike,
I think that's a great idea.

One thought though,stretch it to the 10% (approx 11') you'll have a much more usable boat for not much more in materials.

It'll probably balance better with the 25 Johnson,and give you more room for the cockpit,storage etc(and maybe better ride)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:38 am 

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a book I would highly recommend you grab "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction" - I think the 5th edition is about the newest and read it a few times BEFORE starting a build.

They are the inventor's of modern marine epoxy and have been building wooden boats for years. The book goes into details about the various construction methods (strip, plywood, veneer over mold, stringer frame etc) plus composite core construction, hardware bonding etc etc - really the bible for epoxy/wood boat building (it's a fat book that sells in the 40-50 buck range)

The WEST System has been developed so that you can build with little to no fasteners (nails/screws).

Since I don't completely trust my woodworking and glueing skills, although I have been doing it for years, I took a blended approach and still used fasteners "just incase".

I did buy the fastener kit from Glen-L for my build because their prices were as good as or often better than any other supplier. By also incorporating WEST techniques I have found that I have more than enough fasteners, in fact will probably easily have enough for a second build.

I also keep copies of Boatbuilding With Plywood, the Notebook (which is just extracts from the Plywood book) and How to Fiberglass Boats on hand, all excellent reference material....

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm 

galamb wrote:
If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a book I would highly recommend you grab "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction" - I think the 5th edition is about the newest and read it a few times BEFORE starting a build.

They are the inventor's of modern marine epoxy and have been building wooden boats for years. The book goes into details about the various construction methods (strip, plywood, veneer over mold, stringer frame etc) plus composite core construction, hardware bonding etc etc - really the bible for epoxy/wood boat building (it's a fat book that sells in the 40-50 buck range)

The WEST System has been developed so that you can build with little to no fasteners (nails/screws).

Since I don't completely trust my woodworking and glueing skills, although I have been doing it for years, I took a blended approach and still used fasteners "just incase".

I did buy the fastener kit from Glen-L for my build because their prices were as good as or often better than any other supplier. By also incorporating WEST techniques I have found that I have more than enough fasteners, in fact will probably easily have enough for a second build.

I also keep copies of Boatbuilding With Plywood, the Notebook (which is just extracts from the Plywood book) and How to Fiberglass Boats on hand, all excellent reference material....

Agreeed. The Gougeon Bros. book is probably the single best book I own. Super helpful, doing like Galamb said, reading through it first. After all, they invented what I believe to be the best and most popular epoxy, West System. I too used fasteners even when I had 30 clamps on a part, for the extra security. Also fasteners are helpful where you can't get a clamp in.

I am not sure if I disadvantaged myself by doing so, but I am using all Stainless Steel fasteners for my XP8, rather than SIlicon Bronze. So far I am into it for far less than the fastener kit, and it seems I will have enough to finish with leftovers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:11 am 

Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.
Out of interest, in Ausralia I just priced the fastenings for Gentry. One place in excess of AU$4000, another a little over AU$1100 (and don't stock 3/4" nails), and our fantastic hosts, AU$450 posted express, all the way from the US to my door in 3-5 days.

Needless to say the order went in tonight.