Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feed Back 2010
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:00 am 

Oyster wrote:
....I wonder if boating in sept., if thats the time that you guys are leaning towards again, brings about its own pattern or weather in that area.

That time of year, it's pretty much the same all over the southern states of southern Kentucky, all of Tennessee, and northern Georgia and Alabama. In fact, this year at Nickajack, it was really quite hot on Friday and that was only because we're having a little bit of a late season this year. We would actually be better off sticking with the September dates because it's the most stable time of year weatherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:06 am 

Thanks Dave. I am out of this one for now as it will also not really affect me one way or the other. Time to get back to the important issues, boats, wood, and fishing for now. I think the die has been casted, and have what they need and plan on addressing this. So up, up, and away,,,, Later. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 pm 

My wife and I were at the Moors twice on different weekends last month. We were just cruising around the lake in our new toy and stopped in to eat at the restaurant. I wasn't thinking about it as a Gathering site or I would have paid more attention to the details that we are looking for. I will say it appeared well kept and clean and the docks were very nice. I remember seeing a playground and miniature golf course both of which were in very nice condition and a swimming pool although we didn't walk up and look at it close. For what its worth the marina store was much nicer than Hales Bar and the restaurant is one of the better ones on the lake. I did not look at the pavilion but their web site has this photo -

Also, in mid to late September things on Kentucky lake are in the slow down mode. Not a whole lot going on so space should be available. The Moors' dock space might be a little more limited but I think it could be worked out. There is a concrete ramp right at the marina and if I remember correctly much more parking space. This was one of my main concerns with Hales Bar. I felt the builders that had trailered unfinished boats to Hales Bar were more of less orphans - lost in the confusion of the parking lot.

The Moors have a nice web site with live web cams and a lot on info - http://www.moorsresort.com/. My one concern is I am not sure if you can see the open water area from the docks. The marina itself is in a protected harbor which somewhat blocks the view.

As to Hales Bar Marina, since we stayed on the boat we didn't have the issues it seems some had with the cabins. I will say we moved our boat twice to get upwind of the honey dipper barge as the smell was very strong when it was pumping out the cabins AND it was always pumping out the cabins as it was an all day process. So it was always right there on the line with all of us.

For me the PLUS side of Hales Bar is the scenery. In my opinion,the river from there to Chattanooga is the best the Midwest has to offer. For that reason alone I would be willing to return - but again, we didn't have to suffer through the other problems. I do know if we had stayed in the cabins and they smelled like sewer I would never get my wife to back - guaranteed!

Besides the Moors I can think of one other marina on KY Lake that "might" work. Prizer Point has cabins, docks, camping and a ramp. It is a very nice facility and probably has the best camping area on the lake. It is also in a protected harbor but there is a non no wake right beside it and fairly visible. Again, was not looking at it with the Gathering in mind so closer scrutiny would be needed. Prizer Point web Site - http://www.prizerpoint.com/

We are about 170 miles from both the Moors and Prizer Point. If Dave can't make it there I would be willing to make a run down and take a better look and report back.

Last edited by raymacke on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:49 pm 
Thanks for the report Ray! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:42 am 

raymacke wrote:
...I felt the builders that had trailered unfinished boats to Hales Bar were more of less orphans - lost in the confusion of the parking lot...

Yes, yes. Truer words have never been spoken. I really felt bad for these guys. But I also have to say that I spent a LOT of time pouring over jamundsen's Monte Carlo. WOW what a beautiful build and I'm so glad he went to the trouble of bringing it, even if I didn't get any photos of it. I had left my camera on the dock when I discovered the Monte Carlo on the parking lot. I wondered if he felt that he'd come up on the short end of the stick after having brought such a big boat all the way from Florida only to have it get lost in a certain amount of obscurity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:29 am 

Dave - Did you ever get a feedback from Hale's Bar on your letter. I have not recieved any comments from my list and suggestions to resolve.

daveL

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:31 am 

Dave
you would not believe how many people I talked to about the Monte Carlo. I knew it wouldnt make the water this year but next year is a different story. My wife liked our cabin and Hales Bar but if the Gathering is held in a different location we will be there.

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:43 pm 

Has any one tryed Pickwick Lodge and maina?It's much like Guntersville except the marina is within walking distance.There is also a working marina and dealership there.The state park is nice with a large lodge and pretty decent food plus cabins.Shiloh Battlefied is also not far.Pickwick is large any pretty and best I remember no weeds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:36 pm 

DaveLott wrote:
Dave - Did you ever get a feedback from Hale's Bar on your letter. I have not recieved any comments from my list and suggestions to resolve.

daveL

As of today, I have received NOTHING from them. I had also sent a Cc to the other guy, whoever that was, in management and I've received nothing from his either. To my way of thinking, everyone gives a lot of lip service to "having us all back," but after the initial excitement of our visit wears off, people tend to forget all about us. Personally, as I've stated before, I really liked the place but my desire to give them another chance is slipping. I get terribly tired of being treated like meat on the table by some of the management staff at these venues we explore and Hale's Bar is starting to look like just more of the same. Ho Hum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:58 pm 

This is exactly why I tried so hard to get folks on the River Run 2010. We should always be vigiliant in exploration of potential future sites. Wherever we go in G5, then we should use that as a base of exploration searching for G6. And G6 explores for G7, and so on.
It would be great to have a steady venue to depend on, but thus far it aint happening, so we should maintain a data base of potential sites.
Harrison Bay State Park, tenn. on Chichamauga has potential.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:18 pm 

Quote:
Has any one tied Pickwick Lodge and marina?

Pickwick is a very nice place. There is a beautiful lodge, cabins, camping and a well maintained marina with a ramp. I can't quite remember about available docking space but probably could be worked out. I do foresee a few drawbacks. For one the marina is at the end of a fairly long no wake area. This could get old when givings rides etc. There is a courtesy dock at the lodge but it is small and out of the way for everything else. I do seem to remember a pavilion but I think it was small - not sure about this. Also, the park is somewhat isolated with the nearest interstate (I-40) about 70 miles away and only two lane roads leading to it. But then again Guntersville was sort of out of the way too.

Below is a map of the layout. In RED I added a few points of reference to help out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 pm 

I haven't heard anything from the Moors Marina either after I sent them a long message. I don't think you will hear from Hales either as they are a really not up to par for most of the work that needs to be done. A couple of these other sites look good that Ray Mache has been to and hopefully we will find some information from them so we can check them out.

That KOA camp ground site looked pretty good also and might need a runner to go there and check things out...

I think the worst part of this is finding parking for all of the boats but they were pulled out of the water at Guntersville so that maybe just part of the system we will have to put up with.

Moors Marina does have a new and large pavillion now days....

Just hope it all comes to a good happening again.
Jimmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 pm 

Hales again and Moors both have my vote. Lets get a date, pick one and go.

GlenL Utility
https://plus.google.com/photos/11285674 ... banner=pwa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:53 pm 

I've been to Pickwick on other occasions. Each time I ran into a small problem that you would never believe unless you had been there.

The entire local economy is based on the running of a giant papermill. And when they are making paper, you can't imagine the incredible stench! And you can't get away from it unless you go MILES and MILES away. It burns your nostrils, it tantes your food, it permeates your clothes..... etc.

Oh God, please let's not take a chance. Anyone that has visited Pickwick and the stench was not there should consider themselves very fortunate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:55 pm 

I've been in paper towns before and yes they do indeed STINK when the mill is runinng(which in most of these places is all the time) :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next