Minuet - "Sweet Pea"

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

razopp

Minuet - "Sweet Pea"

Postby razopp » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:04 am

This post is particularly pointed at John Bowen. :D

I have finally set up the pics on the yahoo photo page of "some" of the work I have been doing on my Minuet. I have chosen to name her "Sweet Pea" after my wife (her childhood nickname.) I have been keeping a building log in a MS Word document, and plan to post that here in the future at some time. The initial pictures are from a 35mm camera that have been put on CD by the local drugstore and frankly the resolution stinks when I shrink them enough to fit on the yahoo photo site. Sorry. :(

However, I now have a digital camera (Thanks to Mrs. Clause and hopefully pictures will be more forthcoming.) :D

Summary:

I have only gotten to the point of cutting out the frames over the past 4 months. Centerboard has been fabricated. Epoxy and fasteners sitting in garage waiting for it to warm up.
Last edited by razopp on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:48 am

that is excellent, but you organized people really tick me off.

Steve

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:41 am

"Sweet", Robert! :D
Your photo documents is as important as your word documentation. That hand-in-hand thing. That new digital should make it easyier for ya. (Don't have to worry about running out of film :P )

Looking good. Try to put a step-by-step together with the build of the frames. Not much of that here, most show the frames after they've been assembled. (Something about that better picture thing. :wink:) Maybe get the wife to take'um while your working on'um. :wink:
One day.

razopp

Postby razopp » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:18 am

Steve,

I do not know if you are referring to the photos or the condition of the garage. If you are referring to my photo log it did take me almost 6 months to finally get it going. So, I would not exactly call that organized. If you are talking about my garage...ummm...boat shop, then it is actually very messy by my standards in these pictures. :D

John,

I will try to have Amy take some pictures of the frame construction. I agree with the comment about the majority of the photos being of the already completed frames, but that is probably because there is not too much to it. It is also pretty well documented in the Glen-L book.

I hope you guys like the start. I really did expect to already have the frames built and on the building form by now. Oh well.
Robert

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:58 am

Hmmm, not much to it. :wink: First attempt :roll:
(Click on pic to enlarge)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
One day.

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:06 am

Don't we just, LOVE THAT JOHN....... :wink:

Dale :)
Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

razopp

Postby razopp » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:50 am

Alright, the old measure twice, cut once thing. I knew someone would make a wise comment. Suprise it's John. :D Yeah, that frame ended up about 1/2" too short. :( I actually had to buy another board for this frame as it is pretty deep. It is the only 1 piece floor frame. Fairly expensive mistake, but I think I can at least get some cleats or interior pieces from it.

Robert

godwin

Postby godwin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:59 pm

No. It's no good now. It's scrap.
You'd better just send it to me.

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:30 pm

Godwin, how's that model coming along? Need some scraps? :roll: Waiting to see how the cabin and cockpit turned out.
One day.

razopp

Postby razopp » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:41 am

Godwin,
Any updates on the model? I too am interested.

Below is a "proud daddy" speak and I just wanted to share some experiences of the past weekend with my daughter, but I wanted to post this as an idea for other parents who may want to involve their children.
I will post pics to my site shortly of the events below, as my wife took several pictures of the process.

Basically, my oldest is eight years old and has been very interested in the boat construction. She freguently asked when the boat will be finished and how could I really build a boat. She has been on my old Com Pac 16 and my fathers Catalina 25. So, she understands how big and small sail boats can be.

She is only with us every other weekend, and we never really have time to work on the boat because we are always doing something else (especially around the holidays). Our "boat building experience" thus far has been me having her pull some staples from a piece of lumber for the building form. She thoroughly enjoyed it and it has sparked a real interest in the project.

So, we are sitting together on New Year's Eve reading a book she got for Christmas while her younger sister takes a nap. She looks up to me and said can we work on the boat together for a little while. :D I said of course and we went out to the garage together. I showed her the patterns, plans, instructions, and Boatbuilding with Plywood Book. I taught her how the carbon paper worked. I then took the patterns for the breasthook and numbered the patterns corners 1 through 8 as though it was a connect the dots. She then transferred the patterns for the breasthook to the 3/4" plywood. She was so excited and pleased with the process. We then did the same with the second layer of the breasthook. I was able to show her on the plan details where the breasthook was, and how it worked with the rest of the boat. After that she asked me to save the stem for her to do the next time she comes over. So, we have a boatbuilding intensive weekend planned next time she comes back.

I just wanted to say that this was one of the best, quality times I have ever had with my daughter and know it will be something that we will both remember for a long time to come. When I walk out in the garage now I can look at the plywood and see her work and it makes my heart glad.
:D

Robert

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:01 am

1st off: what is your daughters name?
2nd off: have her Post your twos progress report :wink:
3rd off: and not least, KOOL!! 8)

Robert, really, that's so right. I'm glad to hear you are letting her in and not hands off. Glad to also hear she has a high interest in such. Can't wait to see the pic's. :wink:
One day.

razopp

Postby razopp » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:59 pm

John,

My oldest daughter's name is MacKenna. I may have her put something into my Word log when she is over in a couple of weeks. It really is nice to get to see her interest grow in the project and enjoying the time doing so.

Robert

godwin

Postby godwin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Nice story about getting the kids involved, I can't wait to get mine involved. They have done little bits on the model, but they are excited about the full size boat.

Their main concern is that the boat will be bigger that the little dingies we have rented at the local lake. You know the ones... the kinds that have seats, but you cant use them, because you would be hit by the boom, so you end up sitting on the bottom of the boat and still having to duck to avoid getting hit in the head.

I have assured them that they will be much more comfortable on the Minuet. Me too. It will be nice to sail something that doesn't feel like it is trying to drag cinder blocks along the bottom of the lake, and has more sail area than an XXL T-shirt. (I'm not bitter, I just can't wait to get started on my own Minuet.)

Thanks for the interest in the model. I posted an update to the thread, and new pictures will be posted soon.

Fare ye well.

razopp

Postby razopp » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:07 pm

I have added a couple of pics of Mac transferring the patterns to the plywood and us working together on the breasthook to my photo journal. Boring stuff for everyone but me and my family. :)

Robert

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:37 am

Robert, not boring at all. It's good to see the youngers involved in a project like this. Something that will be with them for a life time.

The a word: "Invaluable"

(Besides, for some of us, it do bring back memorable moments :wink: )
One day.

Return to “Sailboats”