Zipology

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

cusoak

Re: Zipology

Post by cusoak »

Travis. Thanks for adding the pictures of how it looks while doing the install.
Again great looking boat.
Jeff
BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

billy c wrote: i think your idea of a upholstery section added to our index will help get all the information on this into one area, rather than trying to search for the answers.
-Billy
I think this is a GREAT idea!
Completed Builds:
Glen-L Utility, "Perseverance"
(2) MBW Hiwassee Wanderer canoes

Abandoned Builds: Glen-L Squirt, Glen-L Zip

Currently Building: Jim Michalak AF-4
travis24

Post by travis24 »

Yet another ride in the driveway. Couple updated pics. Motor will be about another 3 wks away. Made the cockpit covers. Travis
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Ahh, the dry run. I've been doing more of those lately as I try to keep myself from going crazy with the waiting. :D

Great work on the covers Travis.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise - "Can Do!"
Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Looks awesome! I had a lot of great garage and driveway cruises. There's no shame in that! :wink:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...
cusoak

Post by cusoak »

When we flipped our zip and put it on a frame with castors I had my sons push me down the street as I sat on a lawn chair in it.
Looks great.
Would you have any up close pictures of the way you snapped the covers down. Did you make your own covers and what are they made out of.
I am going to be putting ours on a boat lift for the summer and putting a full cover on is very hard.
Jeff
gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

Beautiful job, just a sprint to the finish line!

One, possibly dumb, question. Do you remove your steering wheel to snap on your boat covers? I could not see a steering wheel in the photo with the covers on, or is there a 'bump out' that I can't see in the photo.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com
travis24

Post by travis24 »

Jeff,

Yes I made both covers out of sumbrella marine grade uv protected and marine grade thread 4oz. I get all my upholstery supplies at trimjobber canvas vinyl and fabrid on ebay . My Uncle has a small sewing machine that worked fine. Each cockpit cover I cut large then taped down to the deck and scribed the hidem strip plus 3". Then cut to the line with my sizzors after that took a piece of white chalk on the inside of the cover scribed a line 2" in folded the material and either taped or spring clamp to hold material together and then proceeded to stitch it up with the sewing machine. Corners are way to fun but we accomplished it. After complete took it out to make sure it fit properly then started at the center and screwed the cap thru the cover into the deck used a spacer and kept same margin around hidem strip. I went 6" O.C. once it was all screwed down and tight I took all screws out then punched cover and installed the snaps then took the studs and re installed into the deck and snapped the new cover on. Snaps you can get complete 100 pcs for around $60 then get a hole punch and press an snap tool and your on your way. Both tops were as basic as you can get.

GD,

Yes just unbolt the Wheel and good to go didn't want anymore drag than already have pulling down the E-way.

Andy,

I didn't think I was the only one riding around the neighborhoods! Thanks I did see your post from over the weekend and I still think I'll go without a windshield. These are small boats you can't make em perfect just Fun!! If people want Dry boats get a Crusier.

Travis

Travis

An
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Measure Twice, cut Once.

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Is there anything under the covers to keep the water from pooling in the center? Been my exp. with sumbrella fabric that it will leak if water pools
Jeff
travis24

Post by travis24 »

Test Float! Almost there.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Wooohooo!

How did you get it on the water and not fire it up for a cruise?! :shock:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hi Travis,

Beautiful boat. You have generated a lot of excitement with your interesting ideas. I'm wondering about the no floor idea. I think I might like that for my Flying Saucer?

Since my boat is named the Yellow Submarine 2, I love your trailer. May I ask the cost and level of difficulty for a trailer build like that?

Thanks,
Flash
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip
travis24

Post by travis24 »

Yes Andy that was very hard to do yesterday but needed to see how it set in the water. Did get some nice compliments from people at the launch.

Flash,

There is a story behind that trailer build. First of all it's a 1958 Tee Nee. So you understand I'm always on the hunt for vintage and antique outboards I will do my part to " Keep Em Alive ". I was at our Great Lakes Chapter Meet 2 winters ago and half way thru the meet I received a phone call to go view a Mark 78a. I drove an hour to go check it out. The motor was in a field on the back of a early 60's Glasspar with the trailer all weathered and snow leaf covered. All I was interested in was the motor at the time. Took some pictures talked it over with the owner and told him I would get back with him. Couple days later we agreed to a price I wasn't sure about the price so I asked " Ken do you need any work done on your house?" He replied yes, OK we agreed on 10 hrs and that was that. I picked up the boat in spring when all dried out then went back to his house 3 weeks after and fulfilled the agreement. Meanwhile the pics I took sent to a mentor of mine Gil told me good find strip the boat due to all rot throw the motor in your starter collection at the time and sell me the trailer for $$$. I was like what the heck I'm good with 1 and 2 but what's so important about 3 ? Did my research and found out what I had told Gil I would have to pass on his offer he replied with a laugh " Now your learning"

Here was my process for the total restore

1. 100 % tear down took a weekend
2. Took 2 Master Blaster for sand blasting. $125
3. Took to Great Lakes Powder Coating $850
4. All new SS fasteners,seals,races $600
5. NOS Baby Moons $150
6. Coker White Walls $300 only WW made to fit orig wheel
7. Winch $25
8. Wiring/lights $100
9. Bunks $35
10. Assembly around 2 wks off & on due to my day job getting in the way

Yes I have never taken on a project like this before until now and I'm Hooked.

The major hurdle in doing a trailer like this is finding one, after that thru due dillegence you can get it done. I'm a firm believer in knowing as many people as you can to get all needed knowledge new friendships onall aspects of vintage & antique boats,motors and trailers. Keep in mind if you don't ask a question you'll never get an answer. Hopefully that answers you question. If you ever need anything send me a PM. And I'll do what I can. On more thing I did my part for the Great Lakes Chapter of the AOMCI in Michigan check out the website I put together over the winter with some help.

Travis

http://Www.liquidassetsonline.org
Attachments
Tee Nee Trailer 067.JPG
tee nee home 035.JPG
Last edited by travis24 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Travis. What a great story on you motor and trailer find.
I bought my doner boat off Craigs list. Paid $400. for a 1961 Merc 45 hp 400E got Tee Nee trailer also buy a little newer that yours I think. Mine has on the finders a round step pad on the top of both fenders. It needs to be sand blasted and repainted. I plan on doing that after I get the trailer fixed so that I can drive the boat on it. These darn flat bottom boats are hard to load I think if you are not next to a ramp with a walk way.
You did a great job on the web site. I am a member.
Jeff
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hi Travis,

That is a great story. ( I had a Glaspar G3 in 1969. )

Your work sure paid off on that beautiful trailer.

Thank again for your help and thanks to Jeff for his motor story. I will look into your boat club.

Take care,
Steve
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Return to “Small outboards”