Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BillJ

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by BillJ »

[quote="mrintense"]Starting on mounting the hinges to the seat box flip up extensions. The extensions will be mounted to the overhanging board, but the board will not be mounted to the seat box frame just yet. I'll wait until after the frames are installed before doing that.

And in case anyone is wondering, I have aluminum angles to add underneath the overhang for additional strength.

Carl,

I'm in the aluminum window manufacturing business. I don't use a ton of small shapes but at times I do have various angles and channels. Not trying to sell anything, just letting you know if you need a few feet of this or that, I'd be happy to grab and send up whatever I can help with.

BillJ

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

The same goes for anyone else :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim, Jim, and Bill.

Bill, thanks for the offer. I have what I need right now, but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Although today started off as a scorcher, the clouds came in and dumped a load of rain.

I got tired of working in the direct sunlight in the mornings and set up a canopy I had. What a difference. And I was able to work while it was raining, at least for awhile until it really started coming down.

I've temporarily reinstalled the wedges on the cabin sides and then started making a mock up (from thick poster board) of one of the cabin beams. This was mainly to get familiar with the process of striking a large arc as outlined in my plans. It was a bit of a head scratcher at first, but eventually I figured it out. The initial mock up was a bit too short but I will be making a cheap plywood template next and I will adjust it for length.

I'm after a few things here. First I wanted to get to know how to do the striking of the arc as mentioned. Also, I want to see the mechanical relationship between the sides and the beams. Thirdly, I want to make sure the overall height of the boat is going to fit out my garage door opening. And fourthly, I need to make sure that I've allowed enough material on the side templates for the beams and any planking.

One thing I think I may do is make the aft most beam a bit beefier. The original design of the cabin has a bulkhead at the back of the cabin. With that not being present anymore, I want to insure that the remaining roof beam will provide sufficient rigidity to the boat.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Sounds like a good plan, Carl.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

And in case anyone is wondering, I have aluminum angles to add underneath the overhang for additional strength. Those arrive on Thursday and will be installed then.
Hi Carl,
Might be too late, but I had a travel trailer that has a folding support for a table that would lift up and fold out of the way then released. They are called "folding shelf brackets" available at most RV suppliers.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I guess I've been absent longer than I thought.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I have something like those in mind already.

As for the boat, well last week I continued doing some bits on the interior. It was very hot and then it rained and other things in my life came up. But I continue to try and get something done most days. Currently I am working on getting the interior cabinet design worked out. Here is a progress shot. More to come.
IMG_20180708_103404.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Carl

Anything to update us on yet?

Billj

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Carl. Are the cabin sides straight? or will they be slightly curved?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

BillJ wrote:Carl Anything to update us on yet? Billj
Unfortunately, I have been suffering from a very painful kidney stone and have not been able to do anything this week. Hoping to get it taken care of tomorrow.
chugalug wrote::D Carl. Are the cabin sides straight? or will they be slightly curved?
The Cabin sides are straight and as originally designed, at 90 degrees vertical to the boat. I am adding 5 degree wedges on the carlings to cant the sides in for a better appearance.

I've got my freshwater and gray water tanks as well as a pump and pressure accumulator. All of this will be installed in the side cabinet when I can get back to the build.
Carl

Clipper Boating

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

:( Kidney stones are brutal. Sorry to hear you've had to deal with such immense pain.

Billj

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

sorry about the stones too.I've been "stoned" a few times too.even had bladder stones too.When I saw the pics ,thought I was growing another set of teeth in there.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Carl, sorry you're having to endure that, hope you get better soon. Your cabin layout and shape are looking great, keep up the great work (when you can, don't overdo it).
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Bill, Tim, and Peter. This is the first time for me. My on and wife have had this , but I was fortunate. I think it might be because I've been spending too much time outside in the heat and not drinking enough water.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

The first time Lauren had them we were at the Flora-Bama! Thank god! One of our friends there is a nurse and her husband is an EMT. She helped Lauren so much. At least, she had a good ide what it was. That made it less frightening for Lauren.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Got through the kidney stone ordeal. Had to have a lithotripsy procedure, but came through with flying colors. Should be able to get back on my boat by this weekend. Going to pick up my freshwater system parts tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”