Moderator: ttownshaw

Amm

Tubby Tug, ready and legal

Postby Amm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am

The tug is legal in the state of Utah.

This thread has better pictures. http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1725

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:41 am

Be very careful...that thing will be a babe magnet...your wife might not appreciate it as much once she figures that out !!!!

Steve

Cec

Postby Cec » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:05 am

That is beyond cute... nice work... what did you have to do to make her legal?
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

Amm

Postby Amm » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:51 am

Be very careful...that thing will be a babe magnet...your wife might not appreciate it as much once she figures that out !!!!

LOL

I had to go to the Utah DMV. I went there 3 weeks ago. The guy there said they only do about 1 boat a year. He went around to all sorts of people. In the end they said they wanted pictures, some ownership form, some title form, and some HIN inspection form. They told me that the HIN inspection would be done by a police officer after I turned in all the forms, got a HIN number, and I had somehow put the number on the hull.

I went to the DMV the day before yesterday. I turned in my pictures and the forms and was ready to get my HIN number. I not only got a HIN number, they gave me my registration form and the tags. They told me the title would come in the mail. No inspection necessary.

Also, one of the forms had on it a place for "fair market value", so that they could tax me based on it. They claimed that was the old way, and the tax is only based on size and age.

Also, they did not make me pay the taxes on the out of state receipts, but they did make copies of all my reciepts. They kept the pictures.

2 things that are probably relevant, is that several employees there including the manager, greatly admired the pictures. I am guessing the manager decided the probability that I had stolen the boat was extremely low. I would have to agree.

Cec

Postby Cec » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:34 am

Good story, I can only hope mine goes as smoothly when the time comes to register her....
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:43 am

Great looking Tug you got there AMM. Glad to hear you made it through the "Legal" end of it. Time to ENJOY it now. Be sure to post some "in water" pic's.

PS> How much did you end-up with head room and did your little inspector give you a passing grade? :roll:
One day.

Amm

Postby Amm » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm

John Bowen wrote:Great looking Tug you got there AMM. Glad to hear you made it through the "Legal" end of it. Time to ENJOY it now. Be sure to post some "in water" pic's.

PS> How much did you end-up with head room and did your little inspector give you a passing grade? :roll:

The kids never seem to hit their heads, So thats good.

When I say the words "boat", the little inspecter immediatley will say "mine". I assume he is pleased.

Amm

Postby Amm » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Ok, we launched it. Wow, what a good feeling.

We got lots of stares from other drivers on the road.

Wow, it floats... Of course it floats.

Why won't it start?... lots of pulling occurs... Oh yeah, got to give it some throttle.

Wow, I am moving, slowly, but moving.

First crew. The boat handles well, the kids love it even better.

Round up the next crew.

We had lots of people in other boat staring, waving, and commenting on how cool the boat was. One guy dropped his keys in the lake when we where launching it. Let me eat my last LOL in this thread. I thought he was joking when leakcheck wrote the following:

leakcheck wrote:Be very careful...that thing will be a babe magnet...your wife might not appreciate it as much once she figures that out !!!!

The tug WAS a huge babe magnet. Although, I think the excited children and tugboat combination was the real attraction.

In the end, we ran the tug for several hours and used 1/2 gallon of gas. Cheapest outing to the lake I have EVAR been a part of.

John Bowen

Postby John Bowen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:45 pm

To KOOL, So GREAT, to see all those smiles. Tis what's it's all about. Here's to many more great outings and keep us posted. Thanks for sharing with us..
One day.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 am

Amm,

Those are excellent pictures...the kids are so darn cute you know they are having a ball !!!

Now you have coaxed me into getting mine registered etc....I have not done it as yet as I only run on the private lake that I live on ...as a matter of fact last night I was out on my two beer cruise chasing a beaver around...don't know what kind of plans he has !!!

I just bought another battery and will have to find out how far I can go on one charge at about 1/3 throttle. I would like to sneak up on some friends of mine at Lake Alatoona since I know where their favorite drinking hole is...they would fall off the boat if they saw me coming around the cove !!

Steve

Amm

Postby Amm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 am

Thanks all. It was a blast. I think I might even get more satisfaction seeing my parents and my wifes parents taking around their grandchildren in it. Can't wait.

ET

Postby ET » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:10 am

The pics are awesome. It's a great feeling registering and geting in the water. As encouragement for the Flrodia residents....registration was pretty easy. I printed out an application from the 'net in PDF format....filled it out and submitted with photo copies of receipts for material, and in ten miniutes (not counting waiting in line) I had an HIN, and decal etc. In a about a week I had a title.

Hammers986

Postby Hammers986 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:43 am

Amm,

How slow was slow? I don't think I saw what HP your motor was at. The pictures have been awsome! Anything you would do different now that you have hit the open seas?

Leakcheck,

Sounds like your running an electric motor on your Tubby. Could you share any more info?

Thanks,
Hammers

P.S. Getting the Tubby plans for my birthday (and my 1 7/8 years olds 2nd B-day) so I'm getting ready to build it this fall/winter.

Amm

Postby Amm » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:08 am

Hammers986 wrote:Amm,

How slow was slow? I don't think I saw what HP your motor was at. The pictures have been awsome! Anything you would do different now that you have hit the open seas?

Not sure on the speed. The motor is a 1.75 horse and hull speed is 3.79 knots. So it can't be faster than that as mine doesn't get up on a plane.

The speed feels about 3 knots, but the kids still love it.

The plans say up to 5 horse. I would guess the boat might plane with a 5hp moter. I have to say the boat is so stiff and strong, I would guess the boat could handle a 10 horse.

To do differently, I would possibly make the motor well a little larger to allow for a larger engine. The plans tell you to keep this in mind. Also, order the marine ply, filling in the exterior voids on ACX was a pain.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:53 am

Yes, mine is powered by a trolling motor. It is not a Glen-L design (although all of the epoxy, glass and working materials came from Glen-l)..I cut the trolling motor (minn kota max 55) in half and mounted the shaft up under the rear bench seat and moved the controls to an access port in the cabin to the right of the right seat. Ships wheel is in the center of the cabin on the forward bulkhead. I am not sure if it is proper to post pictures of it here as it is not a glen-l build...i will be building glen-l something pretty soon i hope !

Steve

Return to “Small outboards”