Downeast Monaco Utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Captnick

Downeast Monaco Utility build

Postby Captnick » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Well, here we go- time to get this party started. Commenced making noisy chips and dust today, running some QS white oak through the planer for frames. My thanks to all you folks who share your efforts, you've inspired me to take the plunge, and I'll likewise try to share as I progress. When I reach a Kodak moment, I'll figure out how to post some pics. Meanwhile, have a good weekend-
Nick

sscobra

Re: Downeast Monaco Utility build

Postby sscobra » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Nick! Looking forward to watching your progress on the Monaco. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:46 am

Thank you Skip- when the inevitable time comes to call for help, you are at the top of my list!
N

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Wed May 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Greetings to all- I spent the fall and winter marking up and cutting out frame components, gussets and such, then, when it got too cold to work in the garage, I assembled the frames, stem, transom, etc. in the cellar where it stayed a relatively mild 48 degrees most of the time. Using quarter-sawn white oak for the frames and keel, and Oukume marine ply where ply is called for. I'm trying to build the vessel as close as possible to the standard specs. Once the weather improved a mite, I set up the building form in the garage with 2 pieces of Douglas Fir trued up and leveled. Transom, frames, stem are all bolted in place using oak clips, SB bolts and screws, and epoxy. Using MAS Low-Vis epoxy with thickener as needed. All components get treated with Smith's CPES before they go together. Later on, everything will get encapsulated with a coat of resin, and I plan on covering that with a coat of light gray paint. I'm constantly re-reading and admiring the work of those builders who've gone before and shared their projects- Bruce, Alan, Tim, Skip, Roberta, and all of you other folks- my hat's off to you, you have set the bar very high indeed!
IMG_0317.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0333.JPG

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm

A couple more pics- the keel/ stem connection, also I used scrap 3/4 ply to fill in the gaps between the frame gussets. I think it serves to stiffen the joint a little, and also eliminates places for debris (and therefore moisture) to hide.
Attachments
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed May 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Looking really good Nick. Good to see the progress photos. Skip

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu May 19, 2016 10:31 am

Very nice, Nick. Thank you for posting photos...

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Sun May 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Making more dust- Started fairing the keel, using a router and jig to maintain the angle of the bottom frames. Thank you Skip for this idea, it works quite well. Working forward, I even got up to frame 7 using some clamps and wedges to put some twist in the jig, although at that point I didn't rout up to the centerline as I did further aft. I'll save the remaining material for a high speed grinder, and then a rasp to finish it up with the proper contours.
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Sun May 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Oops- The next picture shows what can happen when a router bit comes loose and you're not paying attention. Good thing I've got plenty of filler! The bit survived, and continues to do a nice job in this hard white oak-
IMG_0340.JPG

brianp

Postby brianp » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:13 pm

looking good nick, will be following your posts as my Monaco utility progresses. still making frames here and loving working with mahogany. Brian

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Thanks Brian- I've got my chine notches cut, quite a mind-stretching exercise. Starting to scarf together the pieces I'll need for the chine laminations; first one is clamped and curing right now. Then 3 more. I'll be stepping away for about a week; gotta create some positive cash flow. More scarfing and pics when I get back- must be cooling off in your neighborhood, hope you have a comfortable shop to work in-
Nick

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:05 pm

It is great to see your progress pics Nick! Looking really good. I found the chines and sheers one of the most challenging and rewarding parts of the build. Keep up the great work. Skip

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Greetings to all- today marks one year since I started this build, and although I often wish I were further ahead than I am, I also know that if I rush things, that's not ideal either. I've spent the summer scarfing oak bottom battens, cutting the notches, and now have them dry fitted, but not yet fastened. That should happen soon, then I can get the bottom faired, and then start on the sheer and then the side battens.
Attachments
IMG_0369.JPG

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Back in July, I was lucky enough to get a visit from Alan (ozzieboat) and the lovely Robyn, who popped over from South Queensland for a quick bite and some boatbuilding stories. We had a mess of steamers, and I was (I hope) able to absorb a bit of wisdom to help me along on this journey. I've done a bit of freelancing here; at frame nr. 8 I fashioned and installed a collision bulkhead made from spare 3/4 plywood. It has a hole in the center that will accept a 6 inch Armstrong quick release deck hatch. My plan is to fill that forward void with flotation foam, and I judged that now would be the best time to build, seal, and encapsulate before all those battens converge in that location.
Attachments
IMG_0368.JPG

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Great progress Nick. That is great that you got to meet Alan. His Monaco has been the inspiration for mine. He told me once that his inspiration was Rich Coey's Monaco. It is really great that we can help each other on this forum. We have been emailing back and forth for several years and my boat wouldn't be near what it is without his help. He is a very skilled craftsman. Ask him about his cars and motorcycle restorations! Keep up the good work on your Monaco. Skip

Return to “Power Boats”