Highschool Riviera Build Project

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

18shamic

Re: Highschool Riviera Build Project

Postby 18shamic » Thu May 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello All!

I have been working on the engine wiring, and I am almost done. I received the raw water pickup today, and I looked on the plans and i could not find a location for it. I was thinking it would go towards the stern, almost in line with the shaft hole (Horizontally) but on the starboard side. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Fri May 19, 2017 1:25 pm

I am building the Monaco, very similar to the Riviera I think. See the photo attached. I place the pick up just behind the first frame which is about 24" forward of the stern. The idea is to make sure the pick-up stays in the water while on plane so as not to starve the engine of cooling water. More forward might be OK but I didn't want to chance it so it's way rearward on my build.

I placed mine inside of the stringer on other builders good advice. The area outside of the stringer needs to be left for the exhaust hoses that you can see in the photo as well.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_3935.JPG
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am

Hello!

And thank you speed racer, I have since put a hole in the bottom of my boat. I have also flipped the boat over, and have almost completed work on the floor. I am working on getting the last bits and pieces of the engine together as I work towards mounting it in the boat. I still have to seal the entire interior, which I plan to do soon. I have a couple videos of the engine starting on the stand. You can see the extent of the wiring I had to do just to get the engine to run. Those engines are extremely complex.

https://youtu.be/Y3MLvnUC4PE

https://youtu.be/zEYaad0INco

This year I have to have the boat done, since I will be going to college soon. Thank you for the help and support on the forum.

-Michael
Attachments
IMG_6983.JPG
IMG_6979.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:05 am

Great job so far!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:44 am

Coming along great.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Looks great and engine sounds healthy,
Before you seal the floor it might be an idea to put in some limbers for water drainage :D

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:50 am

Hello all,
Thank you - Another quick update: I spent a couple hours, and completed most of the floor, supports and all, and plan to start the seats next. I have not sealed anything quite yet, everything is just cut to fit.

Jenko - strangely enough, with all the talk about drain plugs being worth it, I have no problem drilling holes in the transom. But when it comes to drilling holes in the ribs....that makes me nervous. I know I have to do it for drainage, but it makes me pretty nervous. I am worried about accidentally going through the hull or something. Also, I would have to make three in each rib if water is to easily flow through, and they would have to be a good size; 1-1.5 inches in diameter.

Anyway, I put my fuel tank, which I ordered based off the plans' dimensions and found it doesn't quite fit. The problem is it's a bit too high. I was thinking about cutting a notch in the 2x6 stringers in order to lower the tank to make it fit. But, before I start making notches willy-nilly, I figured I should ask the boatbuilders here for advice.

I have attached a photo of the current state of the boat flooring.

Thank you for your help and support,
Michael
Attachments
IMG_1781.jpeg
IMG_1780.jpeg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:40 am

Michael

I don't see a problem with notching the stringers that far back. But will you still have clearance above the rudder post and tiller?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Bill-

I'm not sure at this point - I plan on using a hydraulic system, for piece of mind, which justifies the high price. Based off of online dimensions, the maximum hight of the system should only be 5 inches. (with a half inch of wiggle room) The top of the 2x6 is 10.5 inches from the bottom of the boat. So, the entire steering system should snugly fit underneath the bottom of the 2x6. But I also don't have these parts yet, and I cant say for sure.

But I do need to get that engine in to make more space in the garage. Between the engine, gas tank, headers, exhaust tubing, alternator, and all the other parts for the engine, I hardly have room to work. Recently, I have been taking the boat up to the school's woodshop, which gives me access to much larger, nicer tools than what I have at home. But that can be a huge hassle: and the trailer isn't licensed yet.

-Michael

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 am

Michael
My tank is 12" high,16" deep and 40" long too. At 3 USgal/ hour in cruise I wish I had made the tank smaller, in particular the height. At 12" high it is a bit tight and is difficult to connect the vent hose, filler hose, both supply and return fuel hoses plus the restraint straps. 10" would have made a big difference. The tank sits on the stringers and a frame that is attached between the stringers. The top of the rudder shaft comes about 1" above the top of the stringers, but it is behind the tank. I'd hate to cut the stringers and you would have to cut them for a fair way forward in order to get the tank under frame #1.
Attachments
Fuel tank (2) (1024x768).jpg

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 am

I am not sure if I can return the tank, as I ordered it 8 months ago. But I agree, notching the stringers should be a last resort. The other thing I was looking at was modifying the tank - cutting the fill hose so it fit beneath the frames and replacing all existing fittings with 90 degree fittings. I might have to eat the cost of returning the tank - I don’t think I will get a full refund. Since I have the Toyota engine, it should be pretty efficient - around the 3GPH mark.

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 am

Michael /
As Allan said cutting stringers is last resort .
My tank size is 250mm(10'')x 400mm (16'')x 1000mm (39.5'')100 Litre (26 us gal)
even at the 10 '' it is tight doing breather and tank fill hoses
and my tank sits on the stringers over the tiller.
The back of the tank sits in a wooden pocket and is secured by two bolts holding welded tabs at the front of the tank
it might be worth speaking to a sheet metal fabrication shop about making a custom tank.
Although I made mine ,if you mocked up a cardboard one and took it to the shop you might be surprised at how little it will cost
I put an intank pump in ,standard gm product high pressure fuel pump with outlet vent and return lines on the unit it also has an inbuilt swirl pot which you should have for an efi unit ,Tank has 4 internal baffles and I fitted a carbon canister to the vent line.
Attachments
20150704_134310.jpg
20140222_132110.jpg
20150704_135741.jpg

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:02 pm

I am currently awaiting a reply about the fuel tank return. I doubt it will go through, but If it does, I will probably just order another plastic/fiberglass tank: a few months ago I was quoted by a friend of mine a price 3x higher for an aluminum tank to be built. While I could make one myself, My welds aren't pretty, and barely functional: even though I managed to weld the trailer together, I'm not sure how I would feel about welding my own fuel tank. It just takes practice, and I'm not really experienced yet. So, after doing lots of research I found that they last about the same length of time if properly installed. I vaguely remember hearing of someone on here (Dave Lott?) had an issue where his tank had severe warping, and he had trouble removing it. That has been the only word I have ever heard against plastic tanks; but I don't see that as a terrible issue since the tank still worked fine, it was just deformed.

Anyway, the tank issue is still a little bit down the road - I still have to do seats later this week! After that, I will rip everything out and seal it. After reading everyones comments on the interior waterproofing forum, I was thinking of doing two coats of system three along with bedliner. My goal is to have the boat sealed, crudely sit-able, and engine running (through side exhaust :D :D ) by Christmas. I think it would be a nice thing to show the family. I would imagine decking will be considerably easier for me, since I do not have the decking in the middle.

I also noticed on the plans, the rudder goes all they way to the top of the stringers, but on most people's build photos, the rudder just barely sticks past the keel. Is there a difference in strength? Is the extra bracket and the extended rudder necessary?

Thank you!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 am

Michael

Check http://www.rdsaluminum.com/marine-stock-below.html. I have one of their standard tanks and two custom tanks. They aren't cheap. But, they do a good job. They will sell direct.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”