masthead hardware and rigging for wooden mast on glen-l 14

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

bawduniak

masthead hardware and rigging for wooden mast on glen-l 14

Postby bawduniak » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:06 pm

what are the options for hardware for the masthead on a wooden mast for my glen-l 14? i built a solid douglas fir mast with a groove routed for a boltrope on my mainsail. what do i put at the top of the mast for the main halyard to run over?

I read about mortising out a space for a sheave that the halyard travels over, but i forsee many problems with this....the halyard coming off the sheave when there is slack, etc. how should i secure the main halyard at the base of the mast?

how do i attach the stays to the mast?

there are several threads related to this, but nothing that directly answers the questions i have, any help would be wonderful.

John

Steve Miller

Postby Steve Miller » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm

I'd use either the sheeve at the masthead you described with a simple stainless strip bent over the opening to keep the halyard in place. Secure it with a screw on each side or a block hooked to the mast with a padeye. Another option is to have the sheeve inset into the mast but the top of the mast still solid. Any of the 3 will work. I use the padeye and block on my 12' sailboat with a solid wood mast.

PapaDon

Postby PapaDon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:33 am

Steve, I have some questions about your SOLID WOOD mast. What wood did you use? Are we talking 18' for a Glenn-L 12? Round, oval, or rectangular? Dimensions? And most important, what the heck does that weigh? Thanks
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

Steve Miller

Postby Steve Miller » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 pm

My mast is 16' solid sitka spuce. The butt is 2.5" and it is is a bit less than 2" at the top. The mast is round. Laminated from 2 pieces using epoxy. Aproximately 2x4's full length.

Not sure what it weighs but I can easily step it myself. The boat is a Swifty 12 not a Glen-L. A bigger issue than weight is simply handling the length. Sort of a balance thing.

Return to “Sailboats”