masthead hardware and rigging for wooden mast on glen-l 14

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

bawduniak

masthead hardware and rigging for wooden mast on glen-l 14

Post by bawduniak » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:06 pm

what are the options for hardware for the masthead on a wooden mast for my glen-l 14? i built a solid douglas fir mast with a groove routed for a boltrope on my mainsail. what do i put at the top of the mast for the main halyard to run over?

I read about mortising out a space for a sheave that the halyard travels over, but i forsee many problems with this....the halyard coming off the sheave when there is slack, etc. how should i secure the main halyard at the base of the mast?

how do i attach the stays to the mast?

there are several threads related to this, but nothing that directly answers the questions i have, any help would be wonderful.

John

Steve Miller

Post by Steve Miller » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm

I'd use either the sheeve at the masthead you described with a simple stainless strip bent over the opening to keep the halyard in place. Secure it with a screw on each side or a block hooked to the mast with a padeye. Another option is to have the sheeve inset into the mast but the top of the mast still solid. Any of the 3 will work. I use the padeye and block on my 12' sailboat with a solid wood mast.

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:33 am

Steve, I have some questions about your SOLID WOOD mast. What wood did you use? Are we talking 18' for a Glenn-L 12? Round, oval, or rectangular? Dimensions? And most important, what the heck does that weigh? Thanks
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

Steve Miller

Post by Steve Miller » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 pm

My mast is 16' solid sitka spuce. The butt is 2.5" and it is is a bit less than 2" at the top. The mast is round. Laminated from 2 pieces using epoxy. Aproximately 2x4's full length.

Not sure what it weighs but I can easily step it myself. The boat is a Swifty 12 not a Glen-L. A bigger issue than weight is simply handling the length. Sort of a balance thing.