My (Sort Of) Sea Knight Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

froberts

Re: My (Sort Of) Sea Knight Build

Postby froberts » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Updated shop 360!

Spent some time in the evenings with my favourite sander. I've been really happy with the results so far!

Transom is now cut out! Still needed to be sanded to perfect shape but I thought it was time to celebrate all my progress with a beer!
Here is a dry fit of the transom frames in place

Loved seeing the rough overall size for the first time!
Fraser

froberts

Postby froberts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 am

Finally brought my wife over to see the progress that I've made. She's a little hesitant about this whole "build your own boat" thing but having her see that this isn't just a little canoe helped a ton! Gotta keep her happy if I still want to work on this thing.
Spent the weekend getting as much as I could glued together. Being a Realtor I have to work most weekends so all of this work was done during a combination of early mornings and late evenings, but I got most of them done!

Still lots to do before I secure the frames to the form but I'm very pleased with the progress thus far. The Glen L plans have been very easy to follow thus far and this forum has been amazing for the odd items that I may still have questions about.

One quick question I have is whether to encapsulate as I go or wait until the hull is flipped?
Fraser

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:55 am

Fraser

That shop radio must have been your dad's. I haven't turned dials in a long time! BTW: I have my grandfather's radio and it still works.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Looking Good!!! What a great shop!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:42 pm

:D I would recommend encapsulation as you go.I didn't on mine and was a pain later although I did multiple coats of CPES everywhere inside(even using hand operated spray bottles to get in hard to reach spots.Nice shop
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:45 pm

froberts wrote:Transom is now cut out! Still needed to be sanded to perfect shape but I thought it was time to celebrate all my progress with a beer!

I absolutely 100% concur! I'm heading into the kitchen my vicarious celebratory beer right now. :P

Quick, everyone else join us.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:36 am

Still in love with your shop, If you look at my build you will see I work outdoors in a portable garage on a dirt floor. Funny Bill mentioned the radio I noticed that as well. Very nice. and your Table saw and equipments looks first cabin. Wood work looks excellent. Look forward to seeing the finished boat.

froberts

Postby froberts » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am

Thank you everyone! Yes the shop sure is something special, especially since most everything in it is now getting a second lease on life. I have such a strong appreciation for how great everything still runs! Including the old radio!!! :D With the exception of a few newer items that I own/purchased everything belongs to my grandfather, which he has collected throughout his life.

It's been a very busy week at work and I wasn't able to get much done on the boat :( The last frame was glued which meant it was time to start mounting!
With the help of my laser level I went down the line and fastened them each to the build form with two screws.

:?: QUESTION: what would everyone suggest I use to fasten the tops (currently upside down) of each frame to the form. My second question is, after planking the boat, how do I get under there to unfasten it? Do I pop in before the last of the planking goes on?

Next up is finding some time to build a couple new saw horses for a table saw outfeed.
Fraser

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 pm

None of the tops of my frames are fastened to the building form. I just made sure they were plumb when I was installing the sheers. Nothing wrong with attaching them, however. After planking you'll just have to lay down and shimmy under there to undo them. I've been under my boat a few times since installing the planking. Not fun, even after I swept out under there. If you have a creeper you can probably roll underneath.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

hoodman wrote: After planking you'll just have to lay down and shimmy under there to undo them. I've been under my boat a few times since installing the planking.

Of course, a Zip is a considerably smaller boat, but when I flipped the hull, I picked up everything including the build form. Then, when I had it right side up, I just climbed in and undid the build form piece by piece. It was easy.

I noticed that the title of this thread says "My (SORT OF) Sea Knight Build."

No... I don't see anything SORT OF here. I think that this is turning out to be a completely FIRST CLASS build. :lol: I'm rootin for you all the way.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Froberts, Fantastic work on your frames. When I started my Renegade build I made the set form 6" higher so could get under to unbolt it and left in the boat . When I turned it I had a block and tackle at each end and used the shed rafters to hang them on . Luckily I have 3.3 metre's between floor and rafters , was real easy to turn by myself .Love your shop to build in ,and like you I have an old Scharnberg Strausse valve radio that still works . When I bolted the frames to the stringers I bolted them on the outside of the stringers as the center will be used for storage later. Remember to measure twice and cut once .
Ian
Attachments
IMGP1169.JPG
IMGP1165.JPG

froberts

Postby froberts » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Thank you all for your advice and kind words. I think I may have to employ my 10year old brother come time and arm him with a screwdriver!

Ian, raising the build form would have been genius! I've already added it to my growing list of "things to do differently next time." I love your turning set up too!

One more thing that's been on my mind lately has been the transom thickness and motor cutout dimensions. I am planning to use a Yamaha 4stroke 70hp weighing in at 260lbs. Could anyone provide a recommendation for thickness and cutout size? I have been searching the various threads for as many pictures but if there are any Sea Knight/Geronimo/Vera Cruise/Similar builders that would mind sharing pictures of what they did, it would be greatly appreciated!
Fraser

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:49 am

My Sea Knight transom is 2" thick at the motor mount area. There is a chart with those specific dimensions and recommendations for construction on the Glen-L website. They are based on HP used. I know my 2" would be fine with 70hp.

Craig

froberts

Postby froberts » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:33 am

Thank you Craig! I believe I found that chart and diagram, super helpful.
Fraser

froberts

Postby froberts » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:31 am

I managed to bang out two new saw horses for my table saw out feed. Even though they aren't winning any awards for style or beauty they work great and so I got right down to business!

I spent the better part of an afternoon setting everything up and that entire evening ripping my white oak boards for the keel, battens, sheers, and chine! I'll be honest, I'd been putting off this task for longer than I should. While I've always been comfortable using table saws, I've never ripped such long boards before and it was a little intimidating.

It felt so good to start seeing the bones of the boat coming together that I couldn't help but take another selfie!
After several more hours I'm happy to report that all my long rips are now DONE! :D
Fraser

Return to “Power Boats”