Mahogany Opinions

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

ToddM

Mahogany Opinions

Post by ToddM » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

What are the differences between a nice wooden boat and a drop-dead gorgeous, jaw-dropping, wooden boat? What is it that you like more about one boat than another? What makes you stop in your tracks and say, "Oh my gosh, that is beautiful"?

vupilot

Re: Mahogany Opinions

Post by vupilot » Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Sanding, the difference is sanding. Sanding till your electric sander no longer works, then sanding till your knuckles bleed and you are certain arthritis is in your future. And just a tiny bit of skill.

Perfection is the enemy of completion and most of us want to eventually use the boat so there is a compromise at some point.

Building a boat is only a 2 part process. First you build the boat, then you have to do the finish, in other words, paint and/or varnish the boat. They are two separate skills. A really perfectly built boat can turn out ugly if the paint and varnish is just gooped on. And a really poorly built boat can turn out magnificent with thoughtful and well executed paint and varnish.

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 am

For me the finish is only part of it. The basic lines of the boat play a large part - some designs are just more beautiful than others. That's largely down to the designer but the builder can add his or her influence, particularly in fitting out. The rest is the details - they really make a difference. The way edges are trimmed, corners are curved, brackets and cleats are shaped, the upholstery, the dash, how all the component parts go together to make a whole. And the deck design/caulking is a very obvious design choice that can affect the whole character of the boat and, if executed well, can play a big part in the perceived quality of the boat and workmanship. Much of that is in the eye of the builder, not to mention his/her skill.

And what remains is personal taste - one person's drop-dead-gorgeous boat is another person's OK boat. Preferences about painted/bright finish, stain colour, caulk colour etc are very subjective. Some boats just look right to me that might look less than perfect to you.

kens

Post by kens » Fri May 12, 2017 4:50 am

The boats with 5 boards width on the topsides generally gather a lot of attention.
Also, on the planked boards, I don't think you want highly pattern grain there, it looks too 'busy'
The narrower the boards on the topsides or deck, the plainer the grain you want.
You have to work with wide boards to let the grain pattern come thru.
And block sanding, or, leveling as some call it, gives brightness to the finish
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

The lines of the boat #1. Attention to detail#2. Not that I've pulled off #2 to the best. Quality of finish #3. Not that I pulled that one off, either. For me, I seem to key in on side planks. Planks that parallel the waterline look good to me, but that is subjective. And now that I am banging my head about upholstery colors, I think that makes a huge difference. I was going to go out on a limb and do white with turqoise accents, but I decided on a tan, based on opinions of friends. I know it's my boat, but my wife and financial support has to ride with me, and I want others to like it as much as I do. :shock: my deck boards are a fairly standard width, and I love wood grain. I took the extra effort to bookmatch the deck boards. There may be grain, but that bookmatch makes it symetrical (the attention to detail thing). JohnQ public may like it and not know why he does, but Bob the builder will notice.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon May 15, 2017 12:41 pm

You can't always get caught up in the way your boat looks. A lot of times, people don't even notice the boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2a3c5565c54420bc0f2e14ba51682a8e.jpg
Ok moderators, delete it if you want. Sorry, it's a slow day at work and I couldn't resist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Mon May 15, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't know man..... I noticed the boat first, then realized there was a girl in the way of the upholstery view. :shock: :roll: :x

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Mon May 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Hey.....that boat has a nice steering wheel, and no windshield, after closer examination.....

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 pm

She (The Boat) might be coming to the Gathering.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Does she have something stuck in her hair? Probably got some epoxy in her hair during the build. Happenings to me all the time too.
Matt B

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon May 15, 2017 6:16 pm

ha-ha-ha-hah :lol:

It's so easy to hijack a perfectly good and serious boatbuilding thread. Good to know I'm not the only prevert (yes I meant to spell it that way) around here.

Where you at, Roberta. Get on here and give us all a good scolding.
:lol:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 am

You guys just go ahead and have your wet dreams. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :roll: :wink:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Interesting question--and one I thought a great deal about when I built mine.
Fit and finish is always the difference between good and great if all other things are equal, but they seldom are.

At a boat show, I see many stunning boats, which alone at a marina draw endless attention for their classic looks. Yet, among 30 others of similar design and finish quality, each gets lost in the crowd until you get up close and examine in fine detail.

But that's not how I look at a boat. For me, my eye takes in the whole craft--noticing the design first. Lines are everything! If the finish draws the eye away from the lines, then it does the designer a disservice. Whatever finish a builder chooses must suit his/her purpose and should highlight the shape of the vessel.

For me, the tried and true classic look of bright finished cover boards and narrow strips just didn't capture my attention. They can be quite stunning but they lack the unique quality that the word 'custom' imparts to me. I wanted something no one else had. I wanted to acknowledge the era that the Zip was designed in. I wanted it to stand out among other wooden boats because I knew then as I know now that mine is FAR from the 'master's' standard. It was always going to be a boat that got used. Never will it compete for a trophy of any kind. It only had to please me and appeal to what I found aesthetically pleasing.

What others have said (especially what Chris said about sanding), is all true. There are no bad answers. But for my build, I threw out the idea that there was a certain convention I had to stick to just because my boat was made of mahogany.

So my answer to your question is: Only you can decide. Some men prefer blondes--others, brunettes. Some like their ladies all fixed up--others prefer the 'just rolled out of bed' look. Some guys like show cars--others like rat-rods. What makes me stop it my tracks? Something bold and unique.

My boat isn't drop dead gorgeous to anyone but me, but I wouldn't trade it for any other.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 pm

What Andy said.

A while back we took the Bartender out with friends. When we came back we stopped by Lulu's at Southport. The bartender, Don, said he saw the boat and just locked onto it. He didn't even realize it was us. He just loves wooden boats! That is the look I want. Nothing looks just like our boats. It doesn't look like store bought glass.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Bill, Andy...y'all don't look at my Flyer to hard...it's a fishing boat...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”