Bob Brown’s Belle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BobBrown55

Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 »

I started my Belle Isle build almost 7 years ago (!) and have not made much progress over the past 4 years. Life changes! Now, I’m getting back to it a bit. This forum has been a great help to me so far, and I know I’ll need more help to get to launch. Also, I hope this will help other builders, as other builders’ posts have helped me. So, I started this topic.

One thing that slowed my progress was getting a tool to drill the prop shaft hole. Fortunately, a couple engineers at work helped me and I got that done in June.
2017-06-20 17.20.55.jpg
It came through pretty clean.
2017-06-20 17.39.21 copy.jpg
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.
BobBrown55

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 »

I’ve also made progress recently on getting the Belle ready to stain. The sides and transom have all been sanded with 80, 120, and 220 grit. That may be overkill based on re-viewing a couple of Townsend videos, but It can’t hurt. (Turns out it can hurt; see comments below.). Here’s what she looks like.
75345E75-A4CE-4644-9A63-EDC09A47A033.jpeg
D883BE8D-0CD9-4636-862E-67D589591954.jpeg
E387D7AC-83E8-45E0-8D5F-C1B0CD52827D.jpeg
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Bob: She looks really nice. What type of stain are you using? 220 may be too fine. My stain manufacturer recommends no finer than 150. Says wood won't pick up stain well with finer.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."
BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

I don't know what a Townsend video is, but your planking looks outstanding and from best I can tell your hull looks very well faired. Does it really even need to be stained?
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

BayouBengal wrote:I don't know what a Townsend video is, but your planking looks outstanding and from best I can tell your hull looks very well faired. Does it really even need to be stained?
Bayou, Thanks for your comments. Townsend offers a series of DVD’s on boat building. I’ve found the ones on finishing to be helpful. Here’s his website: http://www.townsendboatworks.com/dvds_f ... _tutorails

I don’t like the wide variety of color in the mahogany I used. I hope the stain will even it out.

Thanks,

Bob
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

DrBryanJ wrote:Bob: She looks really nice. What type of stain are you using? 220 may be too fine. My stain manufacturer recommends no finer than 150. Says wood won't pick up stain well with finer.

Bryan
Bryan, Thanks for your comments, especially on the sandpaper grit. I’m using Interlux Interstain. Sure enough, the product data sheet says, “BARE WOOD Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Sand smooth. Sanding with too fine a sanding paper will not allow Interstain* to penetrate into the wood.”

I was going with what I’d learned in a boat finishing class, but that was for varnish, and I hadn’t realized stain would be different. I’ll run a test on a scrap, but it sounds like I may need to go back and ‘rough it up.’

Thanks!

Bob

Update: I ran a test on scrap wood, one piece sanded to 80 grit and one to 220, and applied stain to both. I couldn't tell any difference. Both seemed to absorb the stain just fine. So, I went ahead and stained the boat as it was, finely sanded. See pics below in another post.
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Bob

I think most epoxy also says 80 grit.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Big milestone: I stained her! I really like the way it turned out! (I wish I'd been able to get wood that was more similar in grain and color, but it is what it is...)

I used Interlux Interstain
#42 Brown Mahogany (1X)
#573 Chris Craft Mahogany (2X) (2 pints #573 / 1 pint #42)

Thinned with #333 Brush Liquid. Townsend’s video says he mixes this 50 / 50 with the stain, but that seemed too thin to me. My mix was more like 30 / 70, and it worked fine.

2017-10-21 17.05.15.jpg

2017-10-22 18.10.55.jpg

2017-10-22 18.19.53.jpg
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looks great.. i love the natural shading. The stain sets it off.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Built SeaRey and RV-7A
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Nest step is sealing with CPES, then fiberglass.

Question on the fiberglass process: I’ve used West Systems epoxy so far, and have liked it and gotten used to it. However, I’ve heard others say there are better epoxies for fiberglass, since it needs to be clear.

Recommendations?

Update: Never mind. I reviewed my notes and found a post from Bob Perkins where he recommended MAS epoxy, so I ordered that. One added benefit, the MAS website had a good video of a guy fiberglassing a kayak. Though I’ve done it before, it was helpful to see that.
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Bob

I've become sensitive to epoxy. I've used MAS with slow hardener with good luck. West is really good. I used it on the Tahoe.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Ok, I retired in August and ‘should’ have a lot more time to spend on the Belle. But, there seem to be a bunch of other deferred projects that need attention. All I’ve managed to do is drill the hole for the rudder and seal her with 2 coats of CPES. Here’s what she looks like.
2018-11-14 17.07.22.jpg
Now, it has been a couple of weeks, and the CPES Is thoroughly dry. The directions on the CPES website seem to indicate I should put on another coat so it’s not totally dry when I proceed. However, they’re talking about the next layer being varnish, while mine will be epoxy / fiberglass.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? Should I do another coat of CPES or proceed to fiberglass?
tysman52

Post by tysman52 »

Looks Great! Keep it up!
JT
billy c

Post by billy c »

I would run an adhesion test on a sample and see whether the fiberglass has great adhesion. Try it with heat too as your finish will be baking under the sun. If less than perfect results. I would skip the glass and just apply varnish above the waterline as per instructions.

Return to “Power Boats”