New builder from Down Under

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Lachlan1

New builder from Down Under

Postby Lachlan1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 am

Not sure how i'm supposed to start this so here goes...

My name is Lachlan, i'm from Australia and i'm excited as i've just received my Glen L Zip plans.
I have been interested in building my own boat for the last 7-8yrs. After a lot of research over the last couple of those years I have decided to build a Zip. From my research I found that Huon pine is one of the best boatbuilding timbers available in Australia, but due to it being illegal to cut down living trees it isn't particularly cheap. So for the frames/battens/chines/etc, I managed to get a hold of a log of Tasmanian Blackwood which I have found a couple sites mention it is good for general boatbuilding.

A couple questions from a newbie;
- Regarding the use of Blackwood. My Zip will mostly be used in fresh water and probably never for more than a day at a time. Then always stored trailered under cover. As long as I epoxy encapsulate all bare timber, is there any need to get the timber treated to prevent marine borer?

- I have found a couple sites selling marine plywood but as I'm new to this, is there any other aussies that could recommend a good local supplier/brand of marine plywood that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Well that's it for now,
Regards,
Lachlan ;)
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-09-24 20.34.25.png
Screenshot 2017-09-24 20.34.45.png
Screenshot 2017-09-24 20.34.35.png
All Dry and ready to dress :)

Bill Edmundson

Re: New builder from Down Under

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:03 am

Lachlan

Welcome! I'm not from Down Under. So, I can't answer the supplier questions. Somebody will come in from there.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Lachlan and welcome . I live in Qld and have built the Renegade . I used recycled hoop pine for my frames and Tassie Oak for the Keel . My marine ply and epoxy I bought from " Boatcraft Pacific" , they have agencies in Vic other than that Bunnings sell Marine ply. Another member down your way is Jencko who lives at Pine Mountain out from Wodonga . Remember to measure twice and cut once, and post plenty of photos .
Ian

jenko

Postby jenko » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi Lachlan I also got my plywood from Boatcraft Pacific as well as my epoxy ,Their epoxy has bug repellant in it and does not get amine blush I used their thicker fast hardening for gluing and the crystal for fiberglassing and bright sides.
I found meranti/Phillipine mahogany a nice wood to work with

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”