New from southern Indiana

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jphil62

New from southern Indiana

Post by jphil62 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm

I have an old gal that I am restoring. As many already know, including myself, its far quicker and more cost effective to just buy a new boat. O I realize this, but it is the only method of soothing the hard headed side of me. I have a 250xl regal, yup. She is 24.5 feet and around 4k in weight.
I am ripping from her bowels all of the water logged and rotted stringers made from non treated plywood. It is amazing to see a boat completely gutted from its original contents. As painful as it accumulates, I have decided to go with coosa board throughout the boat. For those of you whom think I will one day try to capitalize on my efforts and sell her, well, you are wrong. My son and I are doing this as sort of a father and son kind of deal. You see, I am a roadway machinist for a class one railroad. I know a thing or two about modifying things. I have purchased a 6bt cummins for the install. I will move my fuel tank forward 18" to be exact, and then nestle the 1200 lb engine right behind her. If I left her original I would be ass heavy and lets just say we're not prepared for any of that. I done a cg analysis of my boat and determined a motor with a short jackshaft would work best with the bravo one I already have. I hope to improve the blue water handling charectaristics of my boat significantly with the cg change, we will see. Once all the wood was removed I weighed my hull, amazed at how much all that wood weighed!!! The engineers tell me that the coosa board will be a 30% savings in weight alone..........we will see, I have picked up a 4x8 piece of the stuff and I am not impressed? All I know is that I will understand and know my boat from inside to out when I am done, and since she is actually a "pocket cruiser"/ built for a load of 11 people/ it is not my intention to create any such of a rocket on the water. I am looking for 20-30 ktas, lol, and a cooler full, ya know :)

JoeM

Re: New from southern Indiana

Post by JoeM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome! I don't know that platform well at all but sounds like a nice boat. Would love to see some pictures.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

jphil62

Post by jphil62 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm

JoeM wrote:Welcome! I don't know that platform well at all but sounds like a nice boat. Would love to see some pictures.
Yes, I will send some pics in the near future. I am currently challenged by the rough sanding necessary to achieve an excellent bond with the new glass/Kevlar/carbon.......depending on what material where and when. To stiffen areas I will use a good carbon cloth, and in places I need good
armor I will lay in some Kevlar. Ive chosen aviation s glass for the glasswork, its a lot thinner and more courses will be necessary but the payoff will be in the bond strength. Coosa board is some neat stuff, incredibly expensive but...........factor in waterproof and voila, nuff said. The first stringers that go in the boat are centerline, this makes the center support for the walkway through the cabin. I am making changes which will allow any water which accumulates in the bottom of the boat to flow freely all the way to stern and be handled by the bilge. (feature not included in the original build of the boat) Once I am completely gutted and prepped I will naturally make the engineering changes to accommodate a decent sized fridge, an electric head/masserator system. I really want a small galley to be honest, range...etc. I will have supplemental a/c generation set up at the stern of the boat where the motor once sat. I don't need a lot, maybe a 6k generator or what? I will run a stock dodge a/c compressor right off of the front of the motor for climate control, hey it gets aweful hot in southern Indiana too. Origionally, with a 454 I had 37" of draft. I am going from a 800 lb motor
to a 1200 lb motor. I anticipate that with the move of 18" towards port that my draft might possibly increase to 40"? I have an aweful amount of work to do, once finished in the spring she will take on a coat of paint. This is my first boat restore, so far it has been a joy.

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 am

Sounds like you've done your share of research on weight distribution. I just got through doing that for my upcoming build (the True Grit with many changes) so I know how much is involved in that.

You working with materials (carbon fiber and kevlar) that are completely foreign to me so I can't give any advice on that. But should it be necessary, there are those on this forum that have experience and can help.

My two cents as far as a generator goes, make yourself an energy list. If you've already done so you can disregard the rest.

Put in every single thing that draw electricity(this includes every single light, gauge, fan, etc), how much it draws, and how much you will use it over your standard trip or a 24 hour period. Then put in every thing that adds electricity(alternator, solar, wind, etc) except for generator at this point. Find out how much electricity is added and how much it will be used. Then figure out how much AC power is needed and if you're using an invertor or straight generator for AC power. Take all those together and this gives you your Energy Needs.

Now, Size your battery bank based on your Energy Needs. Size your charger for your battery bank needs. Finally, size your generator based on your charger and/or your AC needs.

I personally sized my battery banks(I have planned two house banks and two engine banks for redundancy) so I won't go below 50% discharge on my usual trips. I am planning on a 60amp charger which should be sufficient for me. I have little AC needs in my current plan so I will most likely be able to get away with bringing one of those Honda 2kw units if I find I need one.
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

jphil62

Post by jphil62 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 pm

JoeM wrote:Sounds like you've done your share of research on weight distribution. I just got through doing that for my upcoming build (the True Grit with many changes) so I know how much is involved in that.

You working with materials (carbon fiber and kevlar) that are completely foreign to me so I can't give any advice on that. But should it be necessary, there are those on this forum that have experience and can help.

My two cents as far as a generator goes, make yourself an energy list. If you've already done so you can disregard the rest.

Put in every single thing that draw electricity(this includes every single light, gauge, fan, etc), how much it draws, and how much you will use it over your standard trip or a 24 hour period. Then put in every thing that adds electricity(alternator, solar, wind, etc) except for generator at this point. Find out how much electricity is added and how much it will be used. Then figure out how much AC power is needed and if you're using an invertor or straight generator for AC power. Take all those together and this gives you your Energy Needs.

Now, Size your battery bank based on your Energy Needs. Size your charger for your battery bank needs. Finally, size your generator based on your charger and/or your AC needs.

I personally sized my battery banks(I have planned two house banks and two engine banks for redundancy) so I won't go below 50% discharge on my usual trips. I am planning on a 60amp charger which should be sufficient for me. I have little AC needs in my current plan so I will most likely be able to get away with bringing one of those Honda 2kw units if I find I need one.
True that! You are 100% spot on with the power analysis. (your are aware that they make tiny super, super quiet gen pacs and are just whispser quiet) My consumers will be a 700 watt microwave on the AC side of things. I am going with an electric head, pressurized water supply, a flatscreen TV to keep the kids quiet at night while I am fishing. I will not routinely enter blue water so, ex out the radar bridge, etc. I will have a modest sound system and public address system. (for communicating with the locks and dams on the ohio river when I cant raise them on the ship to shore, lol)
I am applying a 100% led lighting system, that includes the marker lights and the front spot light. So I plan to use a propane powered European style refridgerator, you know, the type you find in almost all RV's.
My weight distribution was centered around two needs. One, of course, was my preference for the reliability of a diesel engine. Drawback was weight concentration. I also like the idea of having a rough water stable platform, good weight distribution will make that a reality. Lets face it, an ass heavy boat.......aside from the stupid look ............is simply dangerous in heavy seas. I want the behavior of my boat to mimic the cruiser rather than the jetboat. I am aware that my bravo one will not hold up more than two or three heavy seasons, maybe I will save up my greenstamps and get a diesel outdrive once complete? Konrad makes one that would hang nicely off my stern but, well, I think they remain very proud of their work, even moreso than Volvo, lol.
One thing I didn't mention. I built my very own three axis cnc router a couple years ago, it has 10 feet on the x, five feet on the y, and 12 inches on the z. I will draw my bulkheads up exact, they will follow each and every contour of the boat for the very first time. No more throwing in flox to fill a void, my stringers and bulkheads will be exact as well as the fit of my deck. I also plan on creating some limited furniture for the inside to store the odd coat or what not. My control station gauges and fixtures will fit into exact cavities created for them. I could do a lot of really cool work with teak but no.............I'm coosa boarding the deck, spraying it with gelcoat, and I'm gonna put a luster finish on it so she can be washed with a deck hose (which will be mounted in a compartment at the stern) I'm going function over form, if you will. I do plan on nice, very nice equipment grade seats which rotate 360 degrees with lumbar supports and power controls. (a water proof cover for each) As you can tell, my hull will always be a product of regal boats but the finished product this time will be me, llc! lol

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”