Carolina Angler Build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

rblevens

Carolina Angler Build

Post by rblevens »

Hello, has anyone built the Carolina Angler? I've bought the study plans. I would like to see any pictures of it!?
hoodman

Re: Carolina Angler Build

Post by hoodman »

You might be the first one, should you choose to build one. I don't see any pictures or anyone in the project registry on Glen-L site.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
rblevens

Post by rblevens »

I think I will... Gotta wonder why no one else has!?
kens

Post by kens »

the vast majority of folks on this forum build smaller, trailerable boats.
Carolina Angler is too large for most people, hence not much action on this forum.
rblevens

Post by rblevens »

True... Good point!
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Yeah many of us are landlocked so trailerable is a necessity. Plus that's a big boat with a pretty specific use case.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
rblevens

Post by rblevens »

I am on the Mississippi River which I can eventually get to anywhere... especially Key West!
I like the idea of the little cabin in it. One could sleep overnight without the need for a room.

If anyone wants to offer their thoughts on the reduction gear size I will need for a 300 HP 7.4 L velvet drive- please chime in!?
specialk

Post by specialk »

This was on a short list ...for my second build...
As the wife and I packed up...to sell the house we called home for many years...found 3 plans I have bought from Glen-L...one dates back to 1984...
I still like the lines of the Carolina Angler...would be a blast off shore and a great coastal boat...would consider it again. ..just don't have a place to build at the moment...

rblenens...I am outside a small town in Mississippi. .
Hurley. ...camping out in my nieces back yard...love this area. ..fishing has been fun in shore near the ship building docks...I can't get as close as I would like...a couple of navy ships in port for repairs so we have to stay a few hundred yards out...wish this wind would die down. ..would like to go ..check out the islands ofshore..
Good luck with your build...will be checking out your progress. ..kelly
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?
rblevens

Post by rblevens »

Geez, I'm glad I am not the only one who has some un-built boat plans laying about...

I don't have much room either- I built the "Monte Carlo" in my garage diagonally....

So, do you feel the Carolina Angler is a capable "offshore boat?"
:D
specialk

Post by specialk »

I truly believe that is exactly what it was designed to do..
Do the math...put as much flotation foam as possible under the deck...I would take it out in 6footers..and not have a care in the world. ...
Heck I took the Flats Flyer out of Sebastian Inlet in 8ft swells......just wanted to know what she could handle. ..
2nd Boat.....?
rblevens

Post by rblevens »

Just section off some voids and fill with foam? Don't know that much about it- haven't googled it yet...
specialk

Post by specialk »

That is basically it...on the flyer...the center was left open for drains...and conduits...the rest of the compartments I filled with expanding foam. ...
I only have a smart phone. ...and for some reason can not access old pictures. ..or would include one...
You can look at Flats Flyer Build in SC...on page 5...there a few pictures. ..to give you a idea. ..
2nd Boat.....?
kens

Post by kens »

rblevens wrote:I am on the Mississippi River which I can eventually get to anywhere... especially Key West!
I like the idea of the little cabin in it. One could sleep overnight without the need for a room.

If anyone wants to offer their thoughts on the reduction gear size I will need for a 300 HP 7.4 L velvet drive- please chime in!?
Are you on the Mississippi up in Illinois?
If so, it may be cheaper on fuel to go diesel, to get to Key West.
rblevens

Post by rblevens »

I have a donor boat, a limited budget, and I am retired (no income)- my wife has about 5 years left before she retires. I thought I could put together this boat (with 454) and mess around with it here in the river. If I ever made it to salt water I would contemplate a re-power at that point.

I am in Illinois, near the Illinois and Mississippi river confluence, Alton, IL... btw.

I have never done anything the easy way... :|
rblevens

Carolina Angler fuel burn

Post by rblevens »

Does 28.5 gallons an hour for one 7.4 engine sound about right in normal seas?

(MerCruiser 7.4 MPI - 454 cid 310 hp 28.5 GPH)

Thanks
:D

Return to “Hankinson designs”