Small boat, outboard steering system advice

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Randolph P

Small boat, outboard steering system advice

Post by Randolph P » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:03 am

I'm switching from tiller outboard steering to another system, perhaps cable and pulley. I'm going to be installing an antique, brass steering wheel, 14", in the center console. The face of the console will be vertical. I'm building it myself. I own a plywood, 14',flat-bottom skiff in very good condition. Can someone recommend a steering system? Is cable and pulley OK? I have a Yamaha 24 hp 2-stroke, bought around 1990. Also, can I buy a new steering system from Glen-L? I'm trying to keep things simple and economical.

Randy

Ibrew2be

Re: Small boat, outboard steering system advice

Post by Ibrew2be » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Welcome to the forum, Randy.

Yes, Glen-L does sell steering systems:

https://www.boatdesigns.com/Steering/products/29/

The more common steering system these days is a system such as the Teleflex rotary system. With that said, a lifetime ago on the family boat, we had a cable and pulley system on a 14 ft runabout with a 35 HP outboard. The steering system worked fine. There were larger boats with more power on the back that also used cable and pulley. In the 50s and the 60s, that was about the only thing going.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

galamb

Re: Small boat, outboard steering system advice

Post by galamb » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Having had both steering systems over the years (cable and pully and the "new style" from Uflex, Teleflex etc) my advice would be - unless you are going for a classic or period correct "look" that the cables would give you, I would go with one of the "steering in a box" kits. You could still (fit) whatever steering wheel you want and would benefit from the super low maintenence, longevity of the (modern) system.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “Boat Power”