Christmas present……….some assembly required ! !

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Christmas present……….some assembly required ! !

Post by chugalug »

:D Very nice video on woodyboater today;explaines alot of things .makes me want to go out to shop and get busy today.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine
billy c

Post by billy c »

chugalug wrote::D Very nice video on woodyboater today;explaines alot of things .makes me want to go out to shop and get busy today.
thanks for that. thought i had seen all of Nick's videos. he is a master of putting a rolling bevel on his strip built vessels. :D
kens

Post by kens »

My plans call for hot glue to hold the strips onto the forms, then the forms can be knocked out of the canoe after the flip.
this guy uses a dot of hot glue as a clamp.
chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Few nice videos on web of strip built canoes as well as boats.Taping strips on after gluing and small piece of ply with slot for strip and gets clamped on with c-clamps(no staples or nails )also doing scarf joints using shorter strips. :D Might even try to build one myself this winter for top of Chug.(got an upstairs room in my house that's 8 ft wide x26 ft long.enough room to build -just launch boat out of upstairs window :lol:

kens

Post by kens »

Has anyone some experience working with the white lumber from your local Big box store? This lumber is stamped SPF. SPF is a generic for spruce-pine-fir. I been reading on internet about stripper canoe builders using white pine, Basswood, and just about anything else.
This boards in particular I am asking about are very white in color, no different color to heartwood. White thru and thru. These are 2x6x12' and are from the heart of the tree showing vertical grain.
My experience is that fir is a somewhat yellow color, pine has different color to heartwood (pink), and I have seen in the past some lumber stamped as 'fir', although not Douglas fir.
My research has told me that spruce pine fir trees can cross pollinate and if so, then is there any difference in any of it?
My thoughts are that this is a form of spruce, since it doesn't smell of pine, isn't yellow like fir, nor has sapwood color, it is white as a dinner napkin.
I am tempted to use it , it is cheap, available, and vertical grain, relatively light too.
The color really gets me though, just plain white, no wood 'warmth' color.
If I stripped a canoe with this it would be an Albino Canoe.
Anyone used this kind of wood?
chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Was reading about some "strippers "that use the pine .sometimes added in with cedar for patterns on sides or for waterline stripe.interesting.Said most times when going to buy pine, the same store also sells red cedar for not much more and can get in longer lengths.don't know the site I was reading -I just googled "strip built canoes" or "strip -built boats.I would think you could use just about any wood as its glassed and epoxied on inside and out.I'm not sure tho about this "worm- chewed Butternut"
IMG_0739[1].JPG

kens

Post by kens »

Dave Grason wrote:You definitely want to start at the sheer and work towards the keel. By doing it this way, you will insure that your strips are level with the waterline and the overall look of the finished canoe is pleasing to the eye. This will give you an opening as you get near the keel that resembles a "football" and that's what pro canoe builders call it. In order to fill it up and close the football, you will need to custom fit each strip but that's ok because the football will be right on the top of the building form and has very easy access. Also, these strips will be on the bottom of the canoe when it's in use and so, they won't show.

Before you go too fast too soon, consider coming up with some way to bead and cove (tongue and groove?) your strips. If all your strips are cut square, gaps will open up as they strips are shaped around the curvatures of the building form. This will require a LOT of filling and sanding that can be avoided with bead and cove shaping.
I finally found a link to a picture describing the bottom(s) that I was referring to:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken

Mine is straight line. They all look good to me.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Rockler carries a few bead and cove router bits .one is a combo unit.will take a good size router and table as the shaft on bit is 1/2 "

kens

Post by kens »

Im not using bead/cove. I will use a simple beveled edge on all. This designer states that if you rip a 3degree bevel on all strips, then that takes care of 80% of all the beveling. then you hand bevel the rest of them. I need to upload some pics of progress thus far, I'm about ready to start laying the strips.
kens

Post by kens »

here some updated pic,
Attachments
IMG_20160515_185314_hdr.jpg
IMG_20160515_185338_hdr.jpg
IMG_20160515_185157.jpg
kens

Post by kens »

another pic
Attachments
IMG_20160515_164810.jpg
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken

Looks great. Except! There is not enough Glue on the floor!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's looking great!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139
psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

She's nice and wide! Sweet!

Return to “Human Power”