Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: RowMe

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Leland

Nice chair I think I have one of those! :D

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Sacramento River salmon season starts July 16, we are having 97 degree days, I wanted to see where I was heading so I put together this RowMe construction completion schedule. I have not heard from Calif DMV about the registration application I mailed them with a $100 check for registration fees on June 21 via certified USPS mail so I know they received it that is definitely critical path but not much I can do about it DMV field offices are still not accepting appointments due to Covid19. Once they do mail me the CF# and registration stickers I need to order vinyl lettering from BoatUS that takes about 4 days to turn around then I can splash it in California waters. I enjoy the build so I don't want to rush it but I know I will enjoy vessel Astera on the water and a nice Chinook salmon Apple wood smoked in my belly. So here is the best case schedule with the burnt orange highlight showing when doggies and I will ice down epoxy resin and work the graveyard shift so we have a cool environment and the epoxy doesn't kick fast on me. The schedule reminded me I need to stock up on short nap rollers and plastic paint trays, I think I am good on disposable bristle brushes. I may need another gallon of EZ Poxy Hatteress White from Jamestown Distributors but I don't want to order that until I see how it is going. Happy I made the schedule not to drive me but to plan ahead. Leland
Attachments
RowMeConstrCompletionScheduleJuly2020.jpg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Vessel Astera is a nice looking boat, I learned a lot building Homer and Pegasus :D Leland
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Breasthook, knees and inner shear drove 100 screws before cooking timer dinged at 40 minutes signaling end of epoxy pot life :D Blowing cool dawn air over epoxy jars. Replacing weather station 5in1 sensor it stopped transmitting temperature when I need accurate readings most. Ladder work is deadly dangerous for old farts, hope lithium batteries last 5 years :roll:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

8 foot oars and retro bronze oar locks and sockets fit nice and look good. Resin putty filleting in progress :roll:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Cool. On the trailer and everything. You look like you're having fun.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

glad to see you on the board again. Hope senior moments are rare and past experience fuels this high octane build :) I am, especially in these times enjoying my boat, maintenance is easy except in instances when I forget what exactly I had wired and its purpose( senior moments)
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Thank you Matt.

Thank you Denzil.

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Filleted seams with resin putty; oar lock, fire extinguisher, GoPro and bow eye backing blocks fitted and ready for epoxy. backing blocks for drains epoxied into seat uprights but may not drill them until later. I tidied up mahogany end cuts and scraps for neighbor kids to come pick up in their wagon, needed a break from epoxy fumes before I start laying down cloth tape. I am happy with my 10 degree 1:7 chop saw scarf joint prototype for when I get to outer sheers. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0636.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

She made it out of the boat shop yesterday for some epoxy putty sanding. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0643.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

60 degrees this morning perfect for pushing catalyzed epoxy resin into biaxial fiberglass tape, should get a 40 minute pot life for each batch :D Leland
Attachments
IMG_0644.JPG

billy c

Post by billy c »

Sounds like the perfect temp to do some epoxy work. Hope you can find enough PPE for your proposed work. Around NH it is more scarce than toilet paper was.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Biaxial cloth on interior seams, stitches coming out tomorrow :D
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

billy c wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:38 am
Sounds like the perfect temp to do some epoxy work. Hope you can find enough PPE for your proposed work. Around NH it is more scarce than toilet paper was.
Yes Billy PPE is scarce here in California too, I had 2 boxes of gloves and 2 packages of face masks for sanding on the shelf in the garage that might get me through this build. 12+ foot lengths of Mahogany are scarce and nothing but culls at Home Depot, I paid high tariffs on British Columbia Douglas Fir plywood and this morning Harbor Freight can't get me a pneumatic piercing and flange tool ship date from their factory in China. Even Glen-L had a delay and back order on my 1/2 my stitch and glue kit epoxy shipment, the new resin when it arrived was clear not amber like the earlier shipment, I was worried after all my work yesterday it would catalyze and kick properly. I read Roberta will delete political posts and I don't care I will leave the forum, it is just a fact that I did not have these tool and material supply and supply quality problems building my Glen-L Wee Hunk 20 years ago when Bill Clinton was President.

The current President has made planing and executing this project difficult. I don't know if I am going to take on steel or aluminum boat fortunately I can model in FreeShip and noodle around with the Glen-L plans I have of CS20, RowMe and Console Skiff. I was amazed last night to find FreeShip calculated the surface area, I multiplied by weight/sq ft for 16 gauge Aluminum and Steel and an Aluminum RowMe is 50 pounds but the steel one is 150 pounds. I don't want to weld indoors with Argon shield gas on aluminum and now I can not get a 3/16" pneumatic piercing tool from Harobor Freight's China factory so why start a sheet metal steel or aluminum boat and pay Glen-L an extra plan royalty fee if I use the RowMe plans for a 2nd boat? Leland
DelayedPierceFlangeTool.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

One more quality issue Billy I bumped up against the Glen-L RowMe plans and full size patterns were 8+ foot long folded black line prints not rolled around a tube. I rolled them on a tube when they arrived but still the longest 8 foot long bottom aft pattern was off by 1/2". Being an old engineer I know a the light sensitive print paper and the mylar master drawing are put through the blue line machine on top of each other and the light, ammonia process render a print one can scale from almost as accurately as the original. A black line is a photographic process through lenses and electronics, not simple and prone to image distortion. I do not know why Glen-L went from blue lines to black lines but my Wee Hunk blue line drawings I bought 20 years ago to this day are accurate the black line RowMe drawings were off 1/2". I could make up the gap with resin putty in plywood but if I were to use the full size patterns for sheet metal I guess I would have leaky chine with a big gap or make a FreeShip model and unfold the flat patterns from the model using "Develop Plates". Ken Borges says in the old VHS Glen-L Stitch and Glue tape "resin putty is not an excuse for shoddy workmanship".
Roberta you can delete this one too, we had blue lines when Bill Clinton was President and the blue lines made from the mylar original were accurate and that is a fact. Leland

Return to “Human Power”