Rub rail alternatives?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: Rub rail alternatives?

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I used aluminum solid bar (3/16x1) 6061 on the Bartender. It's fairly easy to work with. I drilled and countersank on 6" centers. I believe it was Metal Depot. They will sell you any length. The shipping goes way up after 8 feet.

I haven't heard from Tom in a long time. He was having health issues and was going to sell his boat. The surveyor found termites and some other problems. That sale fell through. Tom was very discouraged and said he was just stuck with the boat. :cry:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Thanks ,Bill.I had heard that he sold "Knot-so Fast" but not the big boat(I thought that one was metal)I had also heard somewhere,that there was a fire at a marina near there.Was hoping his boat wasn't there.Also knew he had health issues before this covid crap.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I used 3/4" hollow back Stainless steel rub rails on the Zip and Torpedo. I stayed with 6 foot lengths that were predrilled and countersunk at 6" intervals. You have to look for the joints and it is very easy to apply along the shears. Way cheaper than those long, unwieldy ones and UPS can economically ship them.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

If you go SS this are who you need to go with http://www.marineind.net/index.htm . They make it for everyone else. You get it with no middleman markup. They can also make those hard bends.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”