Meeting USCG Requirements

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Meeting USCG Requirements

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I got a PM from X23 about my generator installation. Great Guy. Jack is a USCG Aux. certified inspector, alone with his other job. He said he did not post out on the forum, he didn't want to appear pushy. I assured him that that is not a problem. We all want to meet regulations and above all have Safe Boats. Please, know that the intent is to help us.

I welcome it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Re: Meeting USCG Requirements

Post by gdcarpenter »

Bring on the info, the more we know the better we can build. That being said, as a "home built" I'm personally not certain if we need to meet all USCG standards, though I tried my best to do so, even the floatation part!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

We are not required to meet all of the requirements. It is good practice to try.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Post by gap998 »

I don't know about USCG regs but the UK & EU regs are not that tough to meet with a bit of research & planning and are ultimately for our benefit. I'm planning to shift my boat after building and move on to the next one so I have to comply if I want to sell it within 5 years, but even if I wasn't I would stick as close as possible. The added benefit is I can use (or sell) the boat practically anywhere in the EU.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

X23

Post by X23 »

Thank you very much Bill for the kind words. Activities at work have kept me away from the forum for a few days, so this reply is quite overdue.

Gary is right, the regs are not that hard to meet. The Coast Guard had an official publication, COMDTPUB P16761.3B, now up on the web in several places. It does a good job of explaining the why behind some small boat regs:
http://www.boatinghowto.com/downloads/i ... ilders.pdf

The current info is available on the USCG Compliance Guidelines page:
http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/ ... nloads.php
There are details you can download for fuel, ventilation, flotation & electrical systems.

Then after you are finished building, you have to meet requirements for safety equipment, and that is where a voluntary Vessel Safety Check comes in the picture. I am one of many qualified USCG Aux Vessel Examiners, who give completely free inspections upon request. When you pass you get to display the current year VSC sticker. This lets law enforcement know that you were in full compliance at the time of the inspection, often times saving another enforced inspection, but there is no guarantee of that. Some fishing tournaments require all participants to pass a VSC.

Locally here in Central Florida, boaters on the St. Johns River could be stopped by one county for an inspection, pass that one, wave & say goodbye. Then travel around a bend in the river only to be stopped by FWC, or another county. Displaying the current year sticker can prevent that, since the LE officer knows your boat is likely already in compliance. All bets are off if you wave your beer as you pass the next LE vessel!

If any of you would like to have a VSC, I can use a locator to find someone local to your area, and would be happy to meet you & do it myself if you are nearby. The needed items are covered quite well by this Virtual VSC page:
http://vdept.cgaux.org/vve/launch.htm

Jack

tcough

Post by tcough »

Great information Jack. And I can attest to the FWC stops on St Johns. In one summer I got visited 3 times, and the third time I was given a safety check sticker, not sure about the voluntary part, and as a former LE officer I always welcome a visit from someone wanting to make sure I'm safe. After I started displaying the sticker, I haven't been stopped since.

I will take you up on the inspection if your close enough when I get this thing on a trailer and some more work done on it.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

kens

Post by kens »

What happens if you get the six-pack license and use your homebuilt boat for fishing charters?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

X23

Post by X23 »

If you use your homebuilt boat for fishing charters, you are likely an Uninspected Passenger Vessel, unless you built a much larger craft than the ones in the Glen-L catalog. The Un part means that the law says you don’t have to be inspected by the USCG. You can request a UPV inspection, which covers more items than the recreational vessel examination. The exam is free, just like the VSC. There is no fail, if you are missing anything you can address the issue & be inspected again to pass & receive your UPV Safety Sticker.

The UPV Safety Sticker looks like this:

The VSC sticker is awarded when a recreational vessel passes an exam, and looks like this:

You will need to request a UPV Safety Check, which could be done by an auxiliary member who has the special UPV training. I never had a Six Pack request, so have not done the training myself. I would be happy to help you find someone to do it for you.

The requirements are found in this booklet:
http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV_GUIDEB ... ev2016.pdf

And when you feel the need for an even larger craft:
http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV_Over10 ... e_2015.pdf

Jack

Return to “Miscellaneous”