Boat ballast

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

chugalug

Boat ballast

Post by chugalug »

Just thinking about putting in form of ballast in "Chug-A-Lug" to prevent roll over in heavy waves.I've been researching water tanks built from ply and epoxy in"Duckworks".Water tanks or containers of potable water? Also might put 2 deep-cycle batteries as house set-up there .That would add 150 lbs or so under the sole.Can't seem to find any articles about ballast on Glen-L site.Thoughts anyone? :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Re: Boat ballast

Post by chugalug »

:D Last summer,I went out to large open area on Lake of the Woods ,With 4 and 5 ft rollers.Tried to heel "Chug" over by steering in all directions.Had full load of 20 gals of water and 20gals of fuel.Like riding in a bobber.Don't need ballast-maybe in rougher water.Need spray rails tho.Plus ,going with the wind was interesting as alot of wandering. :D

kens

Post by kens »

going with the weather is the most dangerous. a following sea can push on the transom and basically shove the bow into the wave in front of you.
about that time, the boat slows because the bow just hit a big one, but, the wave coming over the transom just keeps coming on and pushing. No joy.
The following sea is a smoother ride, yes, but a broach can sneak up on you. you definitely busier at the helm on following weather. high freeboard is a plus in this stuff. next time you out in a big seas, go with the weather and just watch how high up waves climb the transom !!! But be ready for it !
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Yeah! When the waves are going faster than you,tends to broach a little -alot of steering correcting.I was just out to see if I would have problems.It took me 2 hours of chugging to get to that spot.There is a few islands with cabins nearby.I never venture out to the Big Traverse as there are no islands to hide behind down there being only 30 ft deep,storms can form really fast.The 30 ft passenger boats had to tend to 9 and 10 ft side winds last summer.Some of our(Moms resort) guests got beat-up a little.

kens

Post by kens »

I got on top of one of the bigger waves on following sea, I held on right on top, looked at my GPS and the wave and me both was moving 15mph.
Pushed it on over the top and surfed like a surfboard.
For some reason the shallower waters tend to get rougher than the deep, somehow the wind doesn't whip up the deep water like the shallows.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I've done that years ago, when I had my 24ft Fibreform boat.Chug is my slow Bo-jest boat.She just can't keep up to the waves so trials sometimes were pretty rough.Canada waters are closed this last year to recreational non-residents so weren't able to venture up there so limited to Minnesota side only.Hope this year will be better.

Return to “Miscellaneous”