Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:52 pm

Great new Bulletin Board--great job, Barry! :P

Raftermike

BB

Post by Raftermike » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:49 am

Great but Mark is right.
Font needs to be a tad darker.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:56 am

It will take a little getting used to (the new board), but for the last couple of years, I have enjoyed the builders forum immensely, and I won't give up my habit of checking it every morning.
Just a comment on the colours; the heading, where it says author and message, on my screen, is black type on a dark brown background. Hard to see the type. Everything else is fine :) .

Eric W.

?

Post by Eric W. » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:06 pm

Hmmm... I must say that at this point, this is very confusing. I have been on BB's like this before and don't like them because everything is so compartmentalized that it's hard to just take a quick look and see if there are any new messages.

Of course it's probably just that I'm used to the old Boatbuilder Connection and in time I suppose I will figure this out. But for now, I'm sorry to see the old format go. I will still check in every day because I love this forum (and this whole website) but man, this is a big change.

It would be a reeeeally good idea to have a nice, detailed explanation somewhere of how this all works and what all the different buttons and options are for. If I'm gonna use it I might as well understand it.

kens

Post by kens » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:33 pm

I agree with Eric W. :o

Gayle Brantuk

New BB

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:05 pm

Ken & Eric,

Yes, anything new is always going to take some time to get used to! In the upper right hand corner of the index page, there are some links and one of them is to view new messages since your last visit--if you click on that, you will see all of the new messages, then click on the message subject to read. There is also a search option there so after we get a few messages, we can search to find subjects we are interested in. Also, it's neat because if you post a message, you will get an email when someone responds to it (check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option at the bottom of your post)! Real handy, particularly if you are chomping at the bit to get an answer to a particular question!

Thanks so much for your input! We will continue to tweak this as we get suggestions (and, if Barry can figure out how to do it). We are all new to this! I guess we will be learning together...

Gayle

Graham

Post by Graham » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:46 am

Looks very nice, and I think I understand the reason for doing it, but it now takes me 10 times longer to see if there are any new posts of interest!

Graham

Post by Graham » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:52 am

Gayle said "In the upper right hand corner of the index page, there are some links and one of them is to view new messages since your last visit"

Not on my screen there isn't! Where do I find it?

Muckymu

Post by Muckymu » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:55 am

Hello Glen-L

this is great !
I´m member in a german boatforum like this and for me it´s like entering my living room here :D

It´s a very comfortable way to comunicate.

(Just a question: Is the avatarfunction planned or don´t you want to use it?)

If you want to check the german forum:
www.boote-forum.de
The collors there are a little more gentle to the eyes

Muckymu

Post by Muckymu » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:57 am

Graham wrote:Looks very nice, and I think I understand the reason for doing it, but it now takes me 10 times longer to see if there are any new posts of interest!
On the entry screen you can see on the top-right side: View post´s since last visit.

One click and you see all of them.

Oh, of course you have to be a member and locked in.
How else could the system know, when you have been here last time.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:31 am

OK I get it now, I didn't have to be a member of the previous list! Odd that I can read and post mail here without being a member though? I assumed part of the reason for the new look list was to prevent the spam that has been a regular feature of the old one lately, this new one apparently does nothing to address that though.

Not Graham Knight

Post by Not Graham Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:06 pm

I'm confused! I've registered, and I've logged in, and when I try to post a message I'm told "This user name has already been taken". Well yes it has...BY ME!!!
So now I can only post if I don't log in, and if I identify myself as someone else, which is why this post will show me as a guest and Not Me! But if I don't log in it seems that I can't use half the features?

Don't you just LOVE technology!!!

guest1

Post by guest1 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:34 pm

the same thing happened to me. I logged in, and I was already taken. I am trying as guest1 this time.

kens

kens

Post by kens » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:42 pm

OK, lets try this again, I got kicked off the BB after logging in, then I posted as the name guest1 and guest2.
The first time I logged in I could see myself at the bottom as being logged in, then I surfed the BB and it kicked me off. Thats when I did post as a guest.

brw

Post by brw » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:05 pm

Graham,

"This user name has already been taken".
If you leave the board and come back you may still be logged in. In other words "Well yes it has...BY YOU!!!"
If you are still logged on, you will be able to change your Profile.
I am not positive about this, but I believe you will remain logged on as long as you don't "Log out". or turn off your computer. I've got a manual for this thing, but at this point don't know much more about it than anyone else.

Barry

Return to “Miscellaneous”