Anybody ever set up solar power on their boat? Any ideas what would be needed?

About powering boats with electricity

Moderator: BruceDow

JvilleJeff

Anybody ever set up solar power on their boat? Any ideas what would be needed?

Post by JvilleJeff » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 am

Hello,

Hope all is well, gents.

I am wondering if anybody has had any experience setting up solar power / panels on their boat?

I am considering powering the following:

-Light, Small fans

-Small water heater, small hub

-Little wonder watermaker - 5 - 6 gph

-Small AC unit - 5,000 - 6,000 BTUs

-Small laptop, WiFi cell booster, router

Looking at possibly purchasing a Go Power solar kit (or more than one) to set it up: https://citimarinestore.com/en/384-go-p ... r-products. How many panels (watts) do you think will be necessary to power these appliances?

Also, if you have experience, how dependable is it running things on solar power? I can imagine during cloudy days the power is greatly reduced. Considering purchasing a small gen set as well, for this purpose.

Thank you.

JimmY

Re: Anybody ever set up solar power on their boat? Any ideas what would be needed?

Post by JimmY » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:25 am

I just have a small panel setup to trickle charge my small 12V starting battery while the boat is on the lift. The panel is approximately 6" x 12" and has a regulator to prevent draining the battery when the sun isn't shinning. This works great and I don't have to worry about charging the battery out of the boat.

I do belong to a R/C airplane club and we have a large solar array (24" x 36"?) that charges 3 deep cycle marine batteries (for recharging airplane Li-Po packs), and also provides Wi-Fi and internet connection for a small weather station. The IT guy working on had us move a windsock because for 3 hours a day the shadow of the sock was enough to greatly reduce (~50%) the power output of the solar array. Also, here in Michigan during the winter it had trouble keeping up with load with the available sun light. Bottom line, make sure you have clear line of sight to the sun to get the rated power out of the array. I would over size the array if possible (~25% or more) if you are going to depend on it, and I wouldn't depend on it too much! :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

rleete

Re: Anybody ever set up solar power on their boat? Any ideas what would be needed?

Post by rleete » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 am

The link you posted has WAY overpriced stuff. Search on the web some more, you'll find the same stuff for about 1/4 the cost.

Heck, even the Harbor Freight kit is better and cheaper than that.

JvilleJeff

Post by JvilleJeff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:36 am

Hi JimmY, thanks for the feedback on your experience with the panels. Seems technology hasn't come far enough to rely too much on it yet. Will keep in mind the direct line of sight to the sun when setting up the panels. Should not be a problem.

rleete, thanks for the suggestion about Harbor Freight. When it comes to saving money, I'm always for it!

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Thinking about solar? What is your daily load in kilo-watt-hours?
Lets say you have 2- 100 watt solar panels. On a clear summers day let us assume you will have 8 hours of good sunlight and you are optimistically able to produce an average of 80 percent of peak power over that period. 200 watts x 80% x 8 hours =1280 watt hours that you put into your batteries. If your 5000 BTU AC draws 650 watts,you will generate enough electricity during the course of the day to run it for 2 hours. This will probably be a little less because your inverter efficiency is likely to be only a little better than 90% On my boat 1.2 KW hours will run my boat at 5 mph for about an hour and 45 minutes. So for me I can charge a completely dead battery bank in 3 days or give myself almost 9 more miles of range.
So calculate your total power need in KWH's and calculate the number of panels you need based on some simple calculations. I wouldn't try for all the comforts of home on a small boat from solar.

200 watts of Solar is what I have purchased to charge the batteries on the Aquatron.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

gpcramins

Post by gpcramins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:57 pm

The (2) items on your list which are going to be the most problematic are the water heater and A/C.

Even a 6 gallon water heater will pull 1500 watts when being used, even at 100% efficiency, it will pull 125 amperes off the battery. Theoretically, you may have a battery which can provide this for the time necessary to heat the water, but you will need to immediately charge the battery afterwards. I suspect two (2) 31 group batteries at 105 ah could handle this, just not sure how long it would take to charge them after one heck of a hit...

The 5,000 btu A/C, I assume you are referring to a window unit, will pull 4 amps for the most efficient models, which comes out at 460 amperes. Don't forget there is an initial startup current draw which will exceed this. I've heard various figures thrown around but don't suspect it would be excessive. This would be 38 amps at 12 volts, very high as well, just not as bad as the water heater.

Solar panels typically deliver 15 watts per square foot AT BEST and usually much less. So let's assume to run both the panels are supplying their rated output on a nice sunny day. One would need 130 square feet of panels to power these loads... To put this in perspective, you would need AT LEAST 6 panels sized a little over 5 x 3 feet. Mind you, contrary to much of what you may have seen, the average panel is less than 20% efficient! Go figure...

The first question is, what kind of boat is this? If it is an inboard, gasoline or diesel, you are in the best position! A second alternator can be added and the existing one upgraded to provide the sort of power you are looking for via an inverter....

If you are like me and configuring these loads for a sailboat, you could still provide for these loads via shore power or generator unless you have an installed diesel in which case you could run them 24/7 provided you have fuel.

Return to “Electric Power”