Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by mickfly »

Thanks all. Feels good, but I'm moving on!

Got my shift control yesterday. I've got some work to do before I figure out how/where to mount it.

However, I do have a(nother) quick question for the forum about the connections for the shift control cable.

My engine has a mounting clip/bracket for the shift control cable. The clip/bracket is a few inches forward of the transmission shift lever.

I'm thinking the shift cable routing will bring it under the floorboards until it gets behind the front seat, then up, laterally, around the engine, before going up and over, the rear portion of the engine, avoiding tight radius bends on the way to the clip/bracket. Is the cable heat resistant enough to be in close proximity to the engine? Should I rest it against engine hoses, which will be cooler than engine metal parts..or build in restraining clips to keep it away from the engine?

Here again, I'm working with the open, Key Largo, design with a removable engine box.

Mick

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Saw Matt's windshield post, yikes. Glad it turned out okay in the end. The "smoked" glass looks really cool.

I just cut and rough fit my windshields yesterday. In a conversation with BoiseBrit...he mentioned hearing about glass windshields being broken because people grabbed them for balance or to pull themselves up.

I did some research on Lexan. I found a 2'X4'X1/4"piece for $70 and went to work. I had read that a straight router at high speed would cut well without burning or melting. I glued my two plywood templates together to make a 1/2 inch template and refined the edges with rasps and a long board. After rough cutting the Lexan with a band saw, I ran a test on some scrap pieces, using my router table and a double fluted straight bit with a top bearing. It was so easy, I quickly moved to cutting the actual panels, using double-sided tape to attach the template. Easy work, no burning or melting. Next, I put a 1/8 roundover bit into the router table and burnished a nice edge on the front of the Lexan. I finished off the sharp, top edge with sandpaper.

I can humbly assert, it looks great. Time will tell if scratches or clarity issues require a redo, but for now I was pleased to: 1) save some money at an expensive phase of the build, 2) be able to do it myself and not wait for the glass shop, and 3) hopefully avoid a broken windshield down the line. I have the rubber gasket for the brackets and I'll try that tonight.

All that said, I think I'm going to look for a nice, stainless steel handle I can mount on my dash...so riders will have something to pull on.

Mick
Attachments
windsheild bow.jpg
windsheild port.jpg

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Check out Great Lakes Skipper. Do a search on grab handles. They have many nice styles and shapes. I bought mine from them.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Nice job on the windshields! The boat looks great!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Jim. Considering the source, that’s a high compliment!
Brackets from classic boat connection and great sandblast and chrome job from Badger industries {Milwaukee). Roberta gave me that tip and Badger saved me $270 over another quote I received ($230 for three brackets and a lifting ring)...and I only had to rough sand the raw castings before shipping them. Robyn at Badger is great to work with. Turned them around in about three weeks during their peak season.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Glad to hear you are pleased with Badger. They have always done right for me.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Those look good. If you ever decide to go with glass in the future your lexan can be used for the templates.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work on the windshield Mick. And Lexan can be polished when it get's scratched. Additionally a clear coat over it will help (although try this out on scrap first please!)
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Matt and Carl.

Matt...I think I mentioned before, I was at Purdue for about 12 years before moving to Charleston. Would love to see your build if I ever get back to Lafayette. I used to belong to the sailing club on Lake Freeman (built a Glen-L 15).

Carl...didn't know I could polish plastic. Thanks.
What do you mean when you say clear coat? A two-part epoxy like some folks are using on the deck?

For now, I'm just going to go with it and throw anyone overboard if they dare put their hand on my shiny windshield!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

If you're ever in the area let me know. We will be at the Gathering in September as well. We hope to move back to the SE one day. We love Charleston.
Matt

shep

Post by shep »

The builds looking great Mick! Nice to see more Key Largo’s out there.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thinking about attending the gathering, but obviously only if she is seaworthy by then. Possible I will come if it’s running but still have a bit of unfinished business...

Thanks Shep. I managed to squeeze a battery under the rear seat as you suggested. Putting the final coat of varnish on the ceilings today. Once that’s done, prop, shaft and shaft log only major barrier to sea trial. Having trouble getting prop folks to respond at this time of year. What did you use in your key largo and are you running a 6 or an 8?

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

You don't have to have a boat to come. There will be plenty of rides.
Matt

shep

Post by shep »

V8 small block...PCM 5.0. I know the 6 has plenty of power but got a good deal. 8 years since launch and no signs of any issues. I didn’t install motor or running gear as didn’t want to take that on. You are braver than me 😄.

Return to “Hankinson designs”