Tahoe 23

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tahoe 23

Post by TomB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Tony Hain wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm
Tom
Where did you locate your water intake scoop. I wish I had done that before I flipped. It is not going to be easy to install on the craddle.
My intake is midway between frame 1 & 2, between the keel and first batten, i.e about a foot aft of the shaft hole. I wanted it under the rear seat so I could get at the sea cock.

Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Fresh water pickup
I measured where it was on a neighbor's tournament ski boat to get how far out from the keel. The fore and aft position is between frame 1 & 2 on my boat. Just make sure it will not interfere with a bunk on your trailer. You may also want to be able to hook up a garden hose with one of those plunger things. The inner bunks on trailers are generally located under the motor stringers.
Jim
Attachments
20160918_144409.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks Jimbob for the reminder about bunks. I wasn't thinking of them.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 am

Tony

I also doubled the hull thickness at the penetration.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 am

That’s a good idea I also did that Bill, I glued a 3/4 timber plate for the water scoop.

DavO

Post by DavO » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 am

Tom H and Tom B
Thanks for all of your details and comments. I have been a silent follower of this thread for some time.
I am building a 20' barrel back and am also about to purchase an engine. I have not been successful in finding a 4.3L V6 with fuel injection, so will likely be using the PCM 343. I notice that Tom H is getting one without the closed cooling or converter. I'm not sure if I know the difference between open and closed cooling, and I assume the converter is for EPA admissions. The people I have spoken with are all about EPA admissions - is that a requirement dealing with new builds?

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 pm

DavO,

At the risk of jumping Tony's thread...

Two basic cooling systems are available, "raw water cooling" runs water from outside the boat through the engine, the "fresh/closed cooling" is the nautical equivalent of a car with a radiator running water from outside through a heat exchanger while coolant inside the engine runs through the other side of the exchanger.

The US EPA (Tony's EPA enforcement may be different) began to crack down on marine engine manufacturers/commercial boat builders several years ago. Catalyzed engines (having a catalytic converter like an auto) are now standard. The exception to the rule is re-powering a boat less than 40 years old or already having a catalytic converter. As a result, PCM no longer shows the EX343 on their website. They now show a very similar engine with a single exhaust carrying a catalyst.

Hope that helps...

Tom

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm

DavO,
Basicly what Tom said, but I would also say that with a 20' er you could get away with something in the 300hp range. In Australia they changed the legislation from July 2018.
Tom,
Jump in any time you like. I have really enjoyed following your thread and very impressed with your build.
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm

It breaks down to, How much do you want to spend?, and How fast do you want to go? With a 115 HP engine my Tahoe will do 38 MPH. It would take 250 HP to get to 50 MPH. How often or can you, do you want to run 50?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:20 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm
How often or can you, do you want to run 50?
At least once! :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:27 pm

:lol:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Thank God for silicon bronze screws. Had to cut away part of my frame at the keel to position the shaft log. Also many thanks to the multi-tool. The most useful tool I have bought doing this build. It is just so versatile for those hard to get at jobs. Have also started to mock up the dashboard so I can get an idea of layout. I will then used the ply as a template for the finished dash. it is not trimmed to final shape on the bottom as yet.
Attachments
P1010916.JPG
P1010914.JPG
P1010912.JPG
Tony Hain

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:11 am

Hi Tony,

Can you explain to me about the change in regulations in regards to motors?

Does it mean that new builds need a cat converter?

I haven’t heard of it but need to start the rego process shortly

Jamie

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:04 am

Jamie/Tony
When I registered the Monaco they were not interested in seeing the boat, the trailer was a different matter. All they wanted was the completed registration form and the money.
You can reserve a registration and they will give you a HIN, no charge. I went to an information talk at the Brisbane boat show in 2012 where they were discussing ABP and I spoke with an inspector for the Marine Section of Queensland Transport. He confirmed that the only design requirements I had to meet was the Australian Builders Plate and it's mandated associated requirements. I did my own calculations as I am the builder. When I filled out the registration application, for the engine I just stated Toyota 1UZ, serial # and HP. They will want a receipt of purchase so I took a BIG bag of receipts and the clerk said "what's that?" I said it's owner built. She required a statutory declaration instead. I don't think they are going to be worried about CATS as I think the importation rules cover commercial imports of engines just like 2 stroke outboards. After July 1 dealers are not allowed to sell new two stroke outboards. But what is on/in the boat at time of registration Queensland Transport are not interested. Best make some inquiries though, see if you can talk with someone in the Marine Section of QT.
You can get a ABP printed online. I'll see if I can find the receipt and let you know who did it. It will be in the BIG bag.
Alan

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 am

Hi Jamie
Here is a link to the new regs http://www.environment.gov.au/protectio ... ne-engines

It seems that they have changed the deadline but seeing you already have your motor I don't believe it is an issue. It mainly pertains to the importation and sale of new motors, which mine was. The cut off for sale of items not meeting the new standards was to be 1st July 2019, but now 1st July 2020.
Why I went for a cat motor was that I had difficulty finding a none cat new motor and you can not import them as it is passed the cut off date. And even if I did, I will not be registering it for quit a while and I did not want to have to deal with some jumped up petty official and argue the point about if the motor passes regs or not.
Tony Hain

Return to “Hankinson designs”