Norwegian Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Thomas H

Re: Norwegian Barrelback 20'

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Steve. Yes, in this setup it should be fine without any 3D-machining :)

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thomas,

I like your idea. I saw a boat recently that took a C shaped bite out of the cutwater. Then they ran a straight rod through the bite where the leading edge would have been. The C surface was stainless steel. I assume there were some rods anchoring the straight edge back into the stem. It looked simple, elegant, and hard to do.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Tom. I agree- sadly, when things look simple and elegant, they are normally hard to do!

steves

Post by steves »

now I see, really really neat and creative design!

TheBarbarian

Post by TheBarbarian »

What a beautiful boat thomas and i hope i have the same patience as you :) I want to build the same boat or a Monaco 19 but at the moment the barrelback is most in mind because of the 6 seats in front. Looking forward to follow this project. And please keep us updated. You are now almost there after 6 years :)
Last edited by TheBarbarian on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Dry-fitting continues. Plumbing the fuel tank. The steering cylinder is mounted. Exhaust tips in place.
Attachments
74891D6A-14EA-4E95-8ACB-25987E30A06A.jpeg
6F4EB119-56A7-4131-955E-C5105CEB612D.jpeg
1F96F369-92D9-4EE4-9C85-B709DFF2A5F1.jpeg

kens

Post by kens »

Nice transom, what is that finish?
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Ken! I’ve used a water based dye, from W.D. Lockwood on the outer layer of mahogany. It’s one of their “Metal Complex” dyes, which are supposed to have a very good lightfastness. For now it’s only a couple of coats of epoxy on top of that for protection. When the deck is done I will add a few more layers of epoxy all over, and then spray on x-amount of coats of a 2K PU clear.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

The color and grain on the transom is wonderful, well done.
Matt B

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Matt! I think the dye makes the grain show really well, and doesn’t could it up at all.

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Thomas, you have been doing such fine work on your build. Thanks for sharing the progress with us.

I agree with Matt, the transom looks fabulous. Could you tell us please which one of the Lockwood dyes it was that you used?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks for the kind words Barry!

I used the MCW#23 Honduras Brown Mahogany from Lockwood (as mentioned in the other post this is a water (and alcohol) soluble dye powder in their "Metal Complex" range). I mixed it in a ratio of 30g/l (so 0.5oz/pt in imperial measurements). Before applying the dye, I wetted out the hull with water to raise the grain and then lightly sanded it by hand. The dye is very easy to apply - I just used a rag and let the wood soak up the amount it wants, then wipe off the excess afterwards. You have plenty of time since it's water soluble which makes getting an even result fairly easy.

I made a test to find out which mixing ratio I wanted before I started on the hull itself. Below you can see pictures of 30g/l and 60g/l mixes, before and after sealing with epoxy. In the pictures they do look a bit darker than in daylight, but it should give you an indication regardless.
Attachments
Stain_wo epoxy.jpg
Stain_w epoxy.jpg

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Thank you for the detail, Thomas. Very helpful indeed.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Big day today - started the engine for the first time! It’s a NOS engine, so had to un-stick some sticky fuel pumps (nothing happened when I tried to prime them). When they were back in service, it started at once, although it’s 20 years since it left the factory 😎 Sounds good too, I think.

Hopefully this link to a short video works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gr8htv8nyvnl ... 8.MOV?dl=0

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Sounds great! Thomas. :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”