Norwegian Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

denbrlr

Re: Norwegian Barrelback 20'

Post by denbrlr »

Your boat is looking great. I heard that they grow after the flip. Must be magic :)

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Lee. Yes, there must be some kind of magic in play here :)

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

The progress is a bit slow here these days, but have shaped the top of the transom, cut notches for the deck battens and fabricated a rudder support bracket.
Attachments
6F124F7E-DF08-4D02-98DD-6DB2B61CA6B5.jpeg
8552CB97-BD96-4EA3-8A60-EBA215500F9C.jpeg

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Epoxy-encapsulation and dry-fitting of the mechanical bits and pieces. Going slow, but I really enjoy this part!
Attachments
A7ACB3DD-E52E-4C47-A724-326EB5078A5C.jpeg
FF5DE04B-6538-4017-9438-46054C33AAF1.jpeg
9D02F2B0-6A1A-4C2E-BA81-561B256AC148.jpeg

benpetre

Post by benpetre »

Gorgeous. Those steps look fun. Can’t wait to get mine there.

What engine/transmission?

Are you going to bilge paint or go wood interior?
http://drpetre.com

Building the barrel back 19 ever so slowly.

benpetre

Post by benpetre »

Also- where are you taking the exhaust? Don’t see cut outs in transom. I was thinking about the side port exhaust
http://drpetre.com

Building the barrel back 19 ever so slowly.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Beautiful boat, very clean !
Matt B

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks guys!

Ben, the engine/transmission is a setup from Toyota/Lexus. So basically it is an all-aluminum 4.0L (244cu-in) 1UZ-FE V8, a ZF Hurth transmission with an 8-deg down angle and a set of stainless manifolds and head gaskets. Toyota used these in a ski boat they made in the early 00’s called Epic. I was then lucky enough to get hold of a NOS complete engine setup early in my build (my original plan was to marinize the same car engine). So it’s a light and fairly powerful engine for its size (300hp), and the fuel consumption is supposedly quite good (whatever that might mean in a V8 boat 😉).

When it comes to the bilge, I have been going a lot back and forth between painting and not. I think I have landed on painting though, or at least I have bought a dark gray / anthracite bilge paint.

The exhaust will come out the transom, just hadn’t dared to cut the holes yet in my last pictures. Now I have though!
Attachments
0156A38A-05D2-4851-B75E-99782E8FC41E.jpeg

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

A bit more done with the mechanical stuff. Exhaust tubes are spot welded in place. Think I’ll have to place the fuel tank alongships for it to sit low enough for the filling to be okay. Don’t think this should be an issue?
Attachments
E1E1C488-B7F8-4469-8E77-8F662E983853.jpeg
DA861FAC-5717-4127-ADF5-936050ADFAF4.jpeg

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Looks beautiful. I'm envious of the space you have to put things in the barrelback. My exhaust install is a semi-painful memory of notching, twisting and praying it will work. I think it will.

I'm now planning for the location of the raw water intake...have you room for yours somewhere near the keel line?
A forum member recommended a low profile version that will work well on Key Largo...another space issue as it has to go under the flooring or rear seat. I have room adjacent to the prop shaft hole, but wonder if that's far enough back?

Mick

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Mick! I'm sure your exhaust will work just fine.

I was actually planning to put the water intake just in front of the prop shaft hole, a bit out from the keel. I would think that is far enough back, but haven't really put that much thought into it yet (I would think anywhere aft of the engine should ok?).

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Thomas. Surprisingly, the engine is one frame forward on the Key Largo, but I think the shaft hole is in a similar location (different prop shaft lengths). My shaft hole is just aft of frame 2, which I believe is similar for barrelback.

Hard for me to believe that the same hull will balance with the engine between frame 2 and 3 or frame 3 and 4, but Key Largo has potential to carry passenger weight behind the engine and Barrelback forward. I trust Mr. Hankinson, but it just seems strange.

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Mick, I wasn’t aware of the very different engine placement in the KL vs the BB - and I agree with you that it does sound a bit strange, balance wise. But then again the actual CG might not be that much different in the end, since I’ll likely have the fuel tank further forward (and of course no passengers in the back).

I guess the shaft must be at a lesser angle on the KL then? As you say, the shaft holes are roughly in the same place- mine is about 1/3 of the way between frame 1 & 2.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

In the rough plan drawing, it looks like the shaft angle is steeper; however, there is a shaft cut-out hole in the bottom of frame 2 on the Key Largo, which allows the shaft hole to be in a similar position, albeit with a longer shaft. In addition, frame 2 in Key Largo is reinforced with two layers of 1/2 inch plywood and metal angle brackets on both sides of the frame, between frame 2 and the motor stringers. I'm thinking I'll put my sea water intake just forward of frame 2. That's where I put my depth gauge transducer so I'm assuming a steady water flow at that spot.

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Ok, I see. I’m sure your water pickup will be just fine there 👍🏼

Return to “Hankinson designs”