Ocean/Waterway boats

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

connor17

Ocean/Waterway boats

Post by connor17 »

Hi, I'm new to boatbuilding. I just want to know if this is a good idea or not.
I live on the coast of NC and I wanted to build a small boat to take in the waterways. I don't know what boat would be a good idea if any. I know that the water is much more rough than a lake or river, and I would have to fiberglass the bottom to prevent corrosion. However, I still would like to build something of my own to put in the water.

Does anyone have any ideas?

jprice

Re: Ocean/Waterway boats

Post by jprice »

In general, if it's going to be in rough water, you want a deeper V hull. A flat bottom boat would beat the heck out of you in rough waters.
Not sure what size or style you're looking for, but there's a bunch of deep-vee designs in the glen-l catalog.

connor17

Post by connor17 »

Ok. I was looking at the 16' Console Skiff.
Does that seem like an ok plan? I know it is a vee design.

galamb

Post by galamb »

16 feet isn't very much boat.

I've been out on the Pacific in a 35 footer which was "awful small" when we got into some ground swells - 52' is alot nicer.

As a kid I spent a lot of time on Lake Huron in a 14" plywood runabout. My hair is white today (cause and effect????). Today I wouldn't consider going on the Great Lakes or any "Ocean" in anything that small. I would (personally) consider something in the mid-20' range to be "my" absolute minimum.

But maybe that's just me - at my age I realize now that I won't live forever so don't take chances like I would have 30 or 40 years ago :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Ronb172

Post by Ronb172 »

I spent a lot of time on the Atlantic on a 376' ship and there were times it was too small. Hope you find a boat as building is so much fun...
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Ronb172 wrote:I spent a lot of time on the Atlantic on a 376' ship and there were times it was too small. Hope you find a boat as building is so much fun...
yes myself also the Lst I was on I had see 50 foot wave go over the bow arms and the was about fifty feet above water line. The bow of the ship was usually out of bonds while underway. but yet as a kid I remember going out on Lake Erie in a small row boat to fish with my dad.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

connor17

Post by connor17 »

I never really planned on ocean boating; although it sounds ever so exhilarating, it's just not my thing.
It is purely a waterway boat. I don't know if anyone knows what I mean because all of the replies have been about lakes and open ocean. But, in Wilmington we have the Intracoastal Waterway between the close barrier islands like Masonboro Island, Figure-8 Island, and Wrightsville Beach. So the Islands block most of the rough waters of the Atlantic. It is still much more rough than that of a lake. Anyways, 300' is too big! :)
And so is 30' or 50'. Just looking for a boat to get me a few miles up the waterway and back.

jprice

Post by jprice »

So how rough is "rough" on these waterways? How big do the swells normally get? and how busy does it get with other boats around?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

If you're in the ICW, you need to be ready for 4' wakes off of "Sport Fishermen". They are more of a problem than waves. You can choose not to go out if the waves are bad. But, the "Sport Fishermen" can come up on you anytime!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

The 'size of boat' question has more to do with piloting skills & weather than anything else.
Bottom contours in the waters effect the surface also.

Shallow waters brew up bigger waves with less weather, than does deep water.
Weather blowing against a current blows up rough water too.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Hankinson designs”