Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Jimbob

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Post by Jimbob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am

Brian,
My coverboards are a variable width. Here are the widths: Stern 4", Back sear area 6 3/4", Helm 7 1/2", Bow 4 1/4"
The inside of the coverboards should follow the carlin and extend out to the hull whatever that width might be. The most important thing is to align the inside curve to the centerline of your boat and rest fully on the carlin. Make a pattern so that the inside curve of the opposing coverboards are mirror image symmetrical. Trim the outside of the coverboards even to the hull.

On the planks, mine are copies of original boats. The king plank is 4" wide, and the individual planks are 1 3/4" wide with a 1/8" grout line between them.

Here's a link to my build that shows where the coverboards go.

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 9&start=90

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 pm

The weekend progress:
This weekend was spent putting things back into the boat. The Items were previously finished and were waiting to be re-installed.
You might have seen these items before, but now they are back in the boat for final installation. If you look closely, on the second picture on the bow, is my bose blue tooth speaker that works with pandora on my phone. I was listening to it while I was working. My cell phone and the speaker both fit into my cubbies in the ceilings, so I won't have to be figuring out a radio and how to hide it. Next weekend will be the reinstall of the ceilings on the port side. Pics below:
JIm
Attachments
20190331_165451.jpg
Shot of the back seat area.
20190331_165432.jpg
The front area with kick panel, steering, column and ceilings installed. The bose speaker is sitting over the dash.
Jim Neeley

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:22 am

Looking very nice Jim. Your build has always been an example of what good workmanship can accomplish.

Good idea on the blue tooth speaker. I use a smaller one in my garage with Pandora and it never occurred to me that I could do the same the same thing in my boat! Saves on wiring, saves on the expense of a stereo, at least in the short run. Some of the places I plan on taking my boat won't have cell or wifi access so I would either have to have a built in system or a USB system I could attach to my phone.

Good news is that cell and wfi access is getting better all the time, so who knows. Now if only I could find an affordable and practical electric outboard system for my boat!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks, Jim. I forgot you are in Sacto, and could have easily stopped by when we drove up to Tahoe today. But Wednesday we are out via Reno, so maybe next time.

My design is a bit different, and I'm not really trying to replicate an original boat. Call it a "GarHackerCraft". But it was very helpful to know that the cover boards are variable, which is what I have observed at Sierra Boat. I will follow the carlins, but it's almost 10" at the helm, so I've asked my supplier for some 12" Sapele, which will have to be band saw ripped to 1/4". Cover boards and planks are 1/4" on 3/8" ply.

Subject change to seams. I'd really like to make Poplar or some other light wood inserts instead of caulked seams. Seems deceptively easy with 1/4" seams. Any experience with this?

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks Carl!
Forgot to mention on the speaker that it has an input jack, so I can plug my ipod into it.
Jim
Jim Neeley

monitor

Post by monitor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:15 pm

Beautiful Jim.
Question...was the throttle in the center of the steering wheel on originals? If so, what are your thoughts on this?
Jim Kinsella

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks Jim!
You are correct, the throttle was on the steering wheel in the original boats. My replica steering wheel has the throttle, but it's just for looks. It isn't connected to anything. The way I made my steering column was to put a bearing at each end of the tube, with a 3/4" rod in the tube that connects the steering wheel to the helm behind the kick panel. There just isn't room for anything else in that column. I put my throttle on the side panel, not historically correct but it works for me. Here's a link to California Classic Boats. If you scroll down, you will see the throttle and the related linkage, so from that you can see how it worked on the original boats.
http://www.californiaclassicboats.com/chris8.htm
Below is a pic of my throttle setup, and below that is a pic of my steering column setup before being trimmed to length.

Jim
Attachments
20190331_165432.jpg
If you look closely, you can see the throttle on the side panel.
20150621_110244.jpg
The setup on the helm end. The bearing is pulled out of the tube for the picture.
Last edited by Jimbob on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Neeley

monitor

Post by monitor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for the link Jim.
I have not seen any replica boats with the throttle in the wheel. I was curious as to weather there was something dangerous about it or not.
I always enjoyed the left hand throttle, right hand shift, on my old Indian. Some don't like it.
Jim Kinsella

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:41 pm

The weekend progress:
This weekend was spent finishing up installing the ceilings on the port side. Next was the installation of the kick panel in front of the back seat and the related trim pieces. Very soon I will have the crash pads installed.
Pics below:
Jim
Attachments
20190407_162700.jpg
Here's the kick panel with the upholstered section inserted. The trim pieces on the sides and top hold the panel in place.
20190407_162805.jpg
Closeup shot of the trim panels. The side trim pieces also pull the ceiling pieces into alignment with each other where there is not a frame.
20190407_163209.jpg
This is a shot of the back side of the kick panel. Stops on the floor and top are used for alignment.
Jim Neeley

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Todays Progress:
The seats are back into the boat after making slight adjustments so that the backs line up to where the crashpads will be. The seat backs are screwed into the seat framework. The bottom cushions are removeable to gain access to storage below. The battery is under the center section of the back seat.

Now the boat is ready to go to the upholstery shop for the crash pad installation. I ordered more vinyl than I needed so they could use the same vinyl for the crashpads, and inside of the cubbies.
Pics Below:

Jim
Attachments
20190413_144252.jpg
20190413_144218.jpg
Jim Neeley

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:42 am

As usual Jim, looking very nice. I think the crash pads will set that interior off very nice. The white vinyl makes a great contrast to the wood. Are you getting anxious to take her out?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Looks great,
Are you going to have it ready for any of the ACBS events this year ?

Rich

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks guys!
Rich - I'm planning on the Delta Cruise. Perhaps some earlier others like Clearlake, Shasta, and Stockton, If it's ready by then.
Jim
Jim Neeley

monitor

Post by monitor » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 am

Jim, is your engine installed yet? I don't see any pictures of it.
Boat looks great!
Jim Kinsella

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks Jim!
Motor is not in yet. It's sitting on a pallet waiting to be put in. Plumbing, exhaust, fuel, and electrical are in and ready. All I will have to do is drop the motor in and get a propshaft. Thinking the launch will be in June. (of this year :lol: )
Jim
Jim Neeley

Return to “Hankinson designs”