Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB » Fri May 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Hey Matt,

This is the new and improved version.
IMG_0375.jpg
A 1 1/2" street elbow has been added on top of the seacock to get the water headed the right direction. A 3/4" boiler valves comes off the back for a flush hose or "super-suck" on the bilge. And then a reducer to 1 1/4" for the inlet hose (needs clamps).

A word of caution--

Garden hoses or more accurately hose bibs/sill cocks aren't what they used to be. In the old days you could hook a hose to the house and fight a fire. Those days are gone. The new hose bibs/sill cocks don't provide the flow. 7-10 gallons/min is a likely flow rate. My engine specs 30 gpm. Time fill a bucket to confirm you can get the volume your motor needs. When the time comes I will fill a trash can and draw from it shutting down when the water runs out.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat May 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Perfect, I’m going to copy yours,
Matt B

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:20 am

Just passing on my learning about flush systems with a small issue I had with my water flush layout on my Tahoe 20.

I used a Perko Flush which Im pleased with. Anyway, somehow I managed to leave the garden hose coupling sitting in the top of the inlet fitting, not removing it and hence not putting the screw plug back.

Next time out the Indmar 350 went into safe mode after a few minutes (I was able to idle back to the beach)

...turns out that because I left the fitting in,the 1 1/4 " of water flow was creating a venturi effect sucking air into the cooling water flow going to the heat exchanger. The sensors picked up an issue in the exhaust manifolds around I think oxygen levels and put the engine into the get home mode.

Luckily for me no damage and only a small bill to reset the electronics.

Dave

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks for posting Dave. Do I understand correctly, the Perko Flush screw plug makes the watertight seal?

The 1 1/2" raw water system flow rate is adequate for our engines. There isn't, however, a big safety factor and the plumbing needs to follow a smooth route from pick-up to inlet. An obstruction, extra twists and turns in the plumbing, or a little air introduced would reduce the water volume available for cooling. I suspect the engine went into "limp home mode" when it sensed either low water pressure or high temperature ...or maybe not.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 am

I need to sort out the dash gauges and switches and would appreciate some guidance.

First off, I like the idea of GPS speedo with an integral antenna. I think that points me toward Faria gauges, are there others to consider?

Second, tach with an integral hour meter.

And a multi-function gauge with fuel, oil, temp, and volts. Is this going to be a challenge to wire and are there reasons to stick with single function gauges?

Skinny water and an inboard . . . what could go wrong? . . . depth gauge or something more, chart plotter, etc, what do you think? probably a bronze thru-hull transducer.

I am considering switches for the blower, horn, two bilge pumps, nav lights, interior lights, auxiliary (whatever that is), and the radio using lighted push buttons similar to this one https://www.bocatechswitches.com/mini-l ... ble-switch or this one https://www.bocatechswitches.com/copy-o ... act-switch. They would be located on the helm armrest between the engine controls and the dash. Am I missing some? Any experience with this type of switch?

The round/gauge replacement style radios go with the look I'm after. Good or bad? Thoughts on brand, radio reception? Leave the radio out and learn to play the violin? :D :D

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:37 pm

I am using these ones

You can google the name you can see I the edge of the panel.
They will make whatever combination you want.

They are also a higher amp rating than a lot of the ones that I seen like you showed, they also com pre wired on the back of panel.
Attachments
650741CD-5470-4F3B-AD2C-B161DC6EFCF3.jpeg
2CC74756-8C06-49DD-A800-5F332A3A9BF3.jpeg
6E061A38-252F-4EF7-A929-AB2AE1C413C4.jpeg

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks Jamie,

That's what I am looking for. I checked out the switches in their catalog and the switches look good: stainless steel, 10 amps, waterproof to IP 67.

IP 67 is a fun standard - waterproof to a meter deep for an hour. Hope I never have a switch under a meter of water...or half that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am

I got my gauges from classic instruments. My speedo is connected to their gps unit. I got the speedo that has an hour meter rather than odometer.
Link below:
https://www.classicinstruments.com/
On their website click the products tab. Lots of gauge packages.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks Jim,

They have cool gauges. I have also be looking at hot rod sites for gauge inserts, haven't found the right one yet.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:52 pm

This boatbuilding takes COURAGE!

I bought a muffler from a site with an "almost no returns" policy. The angle of the outlet wasn't what I hoped for, probably set up for a V drive and by the time I figured it out...to late and too bulky to return. :oops:
IMG_0367.jpg
So I sucked it up and cut the ends off, re-dressed the ends and glued it back together, just right.
IMG_0388.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg
So far so good.

Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:55 pm

You got me wondering what an insert was.
I found some if this is what you are talking about.

https://www.carid.com/in-dash-gauge-mou ... D%5B1%5D=5

Jim
Jim Neeley

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Then it was time to figure the geometry from muffler to exhaust tip and cut holes in the sides of the hull. Yikes! A month to get it drawn on butcher paper, measured, tested, redrawn...you get the idea.
IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg
Now its in there and no bad words.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm

That's the idea Jim, lots of shapes, finishes, rivets, ribs, you name it. Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Very Cool!
A real clean installation. That's pretty special having the exhaust coming out the sides of the boat.
Nice tips!
Jim
Jim Neeley

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:14 pm

That’s really cool.
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”