Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB »

I have long admired the Aussie Belle including its very handsome interior.

Eddie, I like the rear sunbed featured in both the Riva and Boesch boats too. And I agree with Gayle, the Tahoe can be a close match. Go with the Tahoe 23.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Good afternoon, My name is Eddie, I am brand new to the Glen L forum. First, all of your boats are absolutely beautiful. I have been a real admirer of the mahogany runabouts for some time. I am an avid woodworker hobbyist. And wanted to begin the process of building a Mahagony runabout. I love the Boesch style boats with the sunbed and was wondering if anyone could help me find the closest plans to these style European boats. Is the Tahoe the closest? Looks very similar to me with the exception of the third row vs. sunbed . Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated,
Eddie (NY)

Thank you for your reply, wow, Edgar’s boat is gorgeous. Yes, I like the sunbed addition. Looking closely at the profile view of the Boesch boats. They appear to have more of an accentuated arc on the deck starting low from the stern rising higher mid section and rounded over at the bow. do you think the Tahoe could be modified to reflect this?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Yes. The stern on the Tahoe is relatively low. The forward end of the sunbed would be over the engine and raising the sheer a few inches in that would help with clearances. Tom

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Tom, thank you, if I were to raise the sheer a few inches (through the mid section) so as to give the boat a similar sheer to the Boesch 710, do you see that causing any problems or issues with other things? (Is displacement, etc). Am I to assume that increasing the sheer is just increasing the heights of each frame? Also, Assuming that if I go up another few inches, the beam witch will go out a few inches too?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Lengthening the side frame members would raise the sheer. The frames lean out a bit so the beam will go out a fraction, probably less than an inch. Adjusting the sheer is aesthetic and shouldn't cause other issues. Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Eddie,

Tom is correct that you can raise the sheer but it may not be as simple as you might think. I suggest you read our article on changing boat plans under the section, "Changing Freeboard": https://www.glen-l.com/changing-plans/

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Thank you Gayle, will definitely review the article

TomB

Post by TomB »

Lots going on the last six weeks.

The interior has been fabricated, encapsulated and removed for varnish or upholstery.

I decided to use 1.2 lb density polyethylene foam for 1,500 lbs of flotation. I remember Roberta's post about threading/weaving the foam into place, good description, exhaust, throttle and shift cables, hydraulic lines, and speaker wire all in the way. 1,500 lbs might be optimistic.
IMG_0596.jpeg
Three weeks ago, I went to place an order for the Italian cowl vents and deck steps I had been planning to use, out of stock, mostly. Deck steps in Vancouver. Steps and vents outside Sidney, nothing closer, so Sidney got the order. I assumed my little package would catch a plane and parachute to my front porch. I wanted to have the vents to finalize the deck arrangement, then cut holes and varnish. Then it looked like nobody was flying and my package was probably waiting for a sea-tainer and a slow boat. So I decided to varnish.
IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0595.jpeg
I'm happy with the first coat. :D :D :D

Now I get an email, the vents and deck steps have cleared customs and will be here on Monday. :roll:

Tom

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Lookin' good, Tom! It's really coming along. Do you have the foam all the way up to the stem in the bow, or did you stop earlier? And will you be putting some against the transom, even though it's concave (maybe just on the transom sides)? Great to see your update. Let's shoot for getting together Summer of 2022 on Lake Macatawa!

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

She's looking beautiful Tom.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Nice work Tom!

What deck vents and step pads have you ordered?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Andrew,

Bring your boat. We'll take the GlenL flotilla around the lake!

I have an 18" x 24" x 108" stack of 1" foam and the COB is under the engine. Starting there, I'm working forward and back to fill the void between the stringers and sheer. Coincidentally, that's the easiest to fill but used less than half the stack. I'll have to crawl under the deck to fill both ends.

Thanks Bryan.

Thanks Jamie,

The cowl vents and deck steps are from Foresti and Suardi, manufactured in Italy, shipped to Classic Boat Supplies in Australia, shipped to me in Michigan. Those parts are well travelled. :D :D

Tom

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

beautiful Tom
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Tom, your build really has raised the bar. She's definitely in the class of well built boats. Beautiful work.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Tony and Carl,

Another coat of finish today.

I managed to dump the varnish tray all over myself and a 4' step ladder, what a mess. That made it interesting, quick mix the next batch to save the wet edge or get it off myself, with what??? I opted for paper towels to get most of it off, then mixed a batch and set it aside for the 10 min. induction, then tried washing it off with soap which just made it gummy. The thinner eats rubber gloves so it wasn't considered. I used alcohol and that was enough to get most of it and then back to soap for the last of it, what a mess. :oops: :oops:

Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”