Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB »

I have long admired the Aussie Belle including its very handsome interior.

Eddie, I like the rear sunbed featured in both the Riva and Boesch boats too. And I agree with Gayle, the Tahoe can be a close match. Go with the Tahoe 23.

Tom

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Good afternoon, My name is Eddie, I am brand new to the Glen L forum. First, all of your boats are absolutely beautiful. I have been a real admirer of the mahogany runabouts for some time. I am an avid woodworker hobbyist. And wanted to begin the process of building a Mahagony runabout. I love the Boesch style boats with the sunbed and was wondering if anyone could help me find the closest plans to these style European boats. Is the Tahoe the closest? Looks very similar to me with the exception of the third row vs. sunbed . Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated,
Eddie (NY)

Thank you for your reply, wow, Edgar’s boat is gorgeous. Yes, I like the sunbed addition. Looking closely at the profile view of the Boesch boats. They appear to have more of an accentuated arc on the deck starting low from the stern rising higher mid section and rounded over at the bow. do you think the Tahoe could be modified to reflect this?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Yes. The stern on the Tahoe is relatively low. The forward end of the sunbed would be over the engine and raising the sheer a few inches in that would help with clearances. Tom

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Tom, thank you, if I were to raise the sheer a few inches (through the mid section) so as to give the boat a similar sheer to the Boesch 710, do you see that causing any problems or issues with other things? (Is displacement, etc). Am I to assume that increasing the sheer is just increasing the heights of each frame? Also, Assuming that if I go up another few inches, the beam witch will go out a few inches too?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Lengthening the side frame members would raise the sheer. The frames lean out a bit so the beam will go out a fraction, probably less than an inch. Adjusting the sheer is aesthetic and shouldn't cause other issues. Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Eddie,

Tom is correct that you can raise the sheer but it may not be as simple as you might think. I suggest you read our article on changing boat plans under the section, "Changing Freeboard": https://www.glen-l.com/changing-plans/

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Thank you Gayle, will definitely review the article

Return to “Hankinson designs”