Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Aussie

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Aussie »

Hi Tom,

They will be the same as the ones I have.
Classic Boat supplies in Sydney sources then upon my request and then started supplying those type.

You will be very happy with them.
Did you go large vents or the smaller?

I have 4 large (two forward facing and two facing backwards) then I have the two smaller ones at the back which are connected to the bilge blowers to blow air out over the transom.

Jamie

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Jamie,

The vents completed their round-the-world journey. You're right, I like them. Two large vents on the stern. Now to figure out exactly where.
IMG_0598.jpeg
Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

TomB

Post by TomB »

Topside finishing continues. I am applying Interlux Perfection Plus using the roll and tip method. I sanded to get rid of the brush marks and dust nibs after three coats. I now have five coats and the finish looks good from five feet away. Up close, it has some minor brush strokes and more dust. :( :( Without the discussions on this forum I probably would grumble, be disappointed, and contacted one of the guys that sprays varnish for a living.
IMG_0604.jpeg
Instead, I sanded the front half with 400 grit to get rid of the bumps and ridges.
IMG_0599.jpeg
Tom

monitor

Post by monitor »

Beautiful Tom!
Jim Kinsella

TomB

Post by TomB »

Do I enjoy sanding or what! Wet sanding with 600, 800, 1000 with cleanup after each pass and it looks like this.
IMG_0600.jpeg
Wet sanding with 1200, 1500, 1800, and 2000 and it looks like this.
IMG_0601.jpeg
Then a pass with 3M rubbing compound.
IMG_0606.jpeg
The brush marks and lint are long gone. The shine is almost where I want it but is still a little hazy in spots. I will go over it with 3M machine polish next week. With luck, that will be "good enough".

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Getting there Tom! I went through the same process. You can get a good shine with a bit of work.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Jim, I'm just following along after you and BayouBengal. Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Good grief Tom, that's beautiful!! :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

That's fantastic work, Tom!!! :D

And yes, I still have transom envy :(

billy c

Post by billy c »

Tom-
Nice work on the construction and finish!
Yes that is the process with the Perfection if you want that elusive glass like finish. Definitely want at least 3 coats of finish on there when all done buffing. Surely is beautiful!
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Guys,

I hate sanding...so now I'm using buffing and polishing paper! Much better. :lol:

The glass like finish still eludes me so I am saying "good enough". The fore deck is done and the front third of the hull is almost there. The nav light and lifting eye are ready to mount.
IMG_0614.jpeg
I ran out of polishing paper and patience so shifted to mounting the cutwater and first section of rub rail. The cutwater looks better than it photographs. The splotches are floor reflections. Following in Neel Thompson's footsteps, the rub rail is welded at the stem.
IMG_0612.jpeg
The dash is done too and the gauges and switches are mounted. Not sure, maybe this means I've finally started the electrical.
IMG_0615.jpeg
Tom

billy c

Post by billy c »

...Don't think it eluded you! Looks beautiful and your cutwater and rub rail blend together nicely at the bow.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Biss

Post by Biss »

Looks really beautiful. I used "3m perfect it" system for my final buffing/polishing. Don't know if it would be compatible with your finish, but worked well on my automotive finish! Again really nice work on your boat.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Billy, the finish is done for now. The light in the shop is bright and florescent so not especially flattering. When I get the boat out in the daylight, I'll decide on whether varnish will be a winter project.

Biss, I'm using Perfect It rubbing and polishing compound, works fine with Interlux Perfection Plus.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

Back in May, Eddie (NY) asked some questions about his comparison of the Tahoe and a Boesch. Jon from Macatawa Bay Boat Works came by to look at my build. He volunteered that it looks like a Boesch.

Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”