Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Roberta

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Roberta »

Looking great! I like those gages.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Such a beautiful boat Tom. You really have an eye for design.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Tom,
You've done such an amazing job of individualising the Tahoe. Truely an awesome job.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Roberta, I like the gauges on the Torpedo too. :wink:

Thanks Carl and Tony.

More shinny stuff is getting mounted.
IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0636.jpeg
Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

TomB

Post by TomB »

I've started pulling wire and doing terminations, boring. I find my mind drifting to the next boat with a '30s vibe: a Barrelback?, a Crackerbox?, a Gentry maybe?, how about a Zephyr (Classic Wooden Boat Plans)?, or a PB like Neil is building? Is this a sign of addictive behavior? I haven't even got the first one in the water.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

Many weeks since my last post. I received a PM about four weeks ago asking about the build, probably the forum equivalent of a welfare check. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been working right along and then hit a snag three weeks ago, or should I say it hit me. (Andrew Flynn:Lincoln and 24th in Holland, your neighborhood if I recall)
IMG_0648.jpeg
Some cuts, bruises and a couple of broken ribs stopped all progress. I got an hour on the boat this morning, finally.

Tom

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Tom, that doesn't look good. Glad you are alright.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

And a progress photo.
IMG_0658.jpeg
About 1200# of floatation foam is in. I'll tuck in a little more just before the ceiling panels are set for the last time.

The rough wiring is done, LEDs run behind the carling for "mood lighting".

I decided to rap the edge of the cowling with foam backed fabric, done.

Both carlings are wrapped too. There is a little more padding, almost crash pads but not quite. There is a bit of trim on the bottom edge, one side done, one side not. I'll need to install the trim on the other side before I can set the dash.

A temporary mounting of the dash exposed some wire location conflicts. Gotta mount the dash to bleed the steering. Gotta bleed the steering before putting the fuel tank and so on.

All the ceiling panels have been wrapped. I used finish washed to hold the panels. Some of the washers cut the fabric so I'll give upholstery buttons a try.

I decided to carpet, almost done, two pieces are waiting for final placement of ceiling panels.

Two pieces to go and the rub rails will be done.

I order the trailer in late June with a promised three or four week build schedule. Still waiting (not that it is keeping me out of the water) :oops: .

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm
Tom, that doesn't look good. Glad you are alright.
Me too, modern safety stuff gets all the credit.

I had planned to go to the gathering, then the virus, then slower build than I imagined, then no trailer, then no tow vehicle. Better time ahead for sure.

The insurance company says the damage can't be buffed out so I now have a new, one week old, tow vehicle just waiting for a boat.

Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Glad you're okay! Better days ahead we just have to be patient. Sounds like your boat is really coming together now.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

OMG!!
I hope you are OK.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Wow, Tom! Glad you are on the road to recovery, and that the damage to you wasn't worse. I know that broken ribs feel like a kick in the guts with every breath. That's less than a mile from my parent's house, where I plan to do some summer boating when done.
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

So sorry about the accident but thankful you're okay--ouch! Now you can continue building a beautiful boat...

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Glad you okay, are doing better and are back to the build!
I really like the look of your floatation foam. I'm at the same stage of my build and ordered the two part liquid for foam. I won't be ordering any more.
I tried a pour into a void, walled off with some plastic covered plywood, in the bow area. Worked okay...messy and some of the foam went where I didn't want it. I also tried to pour into a plastic container with aluminum battens so I could make "pillows" to attach between the frames. Again...they came out okay, but not the quality I want for the cost of the product. I've been looking for another foam source. Appreciate any help you can give.

Mick

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I bought my floatation foam from an upholstery supply house. As I remember, it was in 2'x7' blocks.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”