Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by mickfly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks Tony. On the Key Largo, the plans show a frame cut-out to accommodate the shaft and specifies reinforcing on both sides with plywood, both of which which I've done. From your post, it sounds like I just need the angle bracket to provide some extra reinforcement on that frame. That's easy...initially I was thinking I needed it on every frame.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Yes. I am building a Tahoe which is a Hankinson design and it shows the angle iron on that frame but I also had to take some off the next frame for the sump and did the same there.
Attachments
P1010924.JPG
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am

Making slow and steady progress. Have the port side cover board shaped and the starboard side cover board roughed out. I built the front seat and hooked up the hydraulic steering. Will test the steering this weekend, as it's a two person job. Dashboard installed and am planning on adding the plywood on the inside of the dash board ends that I saw in the 20 ft Texas Barrel site (thanks Matt). I've also "bunged" everything, except for the rear deck, which I can't install until I have the steering tested. I may float the stern to see if there are major leaks as I've never done packing material before.
Attachments
deck bungs.jpg
dashboard installed .jpg

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Looks great. Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”