Barrelback-20 Louisville Kentucky

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

kens

Re: Barrelback-20 Louisville Kentucky

Post by kens » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 pm

monitor wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm
Looks like that 1to1 tranny is coming out of the Supra! It has a nice prop shaft, strut and flange on it also. Shaft may not be the correct length of course. Glad I purchased the Supra now!
Let me get it out and I will get back to you guys...thanks again.
There you go !!! I been waiting for that.......!
Make the same mockup as you did for the reduction gear, except; use the 1:1 tranny, it's shaft, it's strut, it's prop, et al, and then graft the Ford in lieu of the 454.
Also, notice on the mockup, where is the CG or CB from the plans layout, on the mockup.
The plans CG is a important number to hit. (you can cheat it and move aft but never forward)
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

monitor

Post by monitor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Bolted the 1:1 Velvet Drive onto the Ford, hardest part was getting it out of the doner boat because of the weight.
Reworked the engine/tranny mockup and no changes in the drive train need to be made. Engine sits as drawn in the plans and at the proper angle, 14 to 15 degrees to the setup level.
Plans only dictate that the engine sit as far forward in the engine compartment as possible, no CG info given.
I'm happy! Thanks for the help everyone!
Jim Kinsella

kens

Post by kens » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Out of curiosity, what shaft diameter,
and what prop goes with that 1:1 Ford setup now?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

monitor

Post by monitor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:07 pm

I used the MC 1-1/8" shaft, strut, and Federal 14x18 LH cup prop for the layout.
I may pull the Supra 1" shaft, strut, and DJohnson 14x13 LH cup prop tomorrow to check the shaft length, and strut dimensions. Then decide which to use.
Props can be sold or possibly cut down to 12"?
Suggestions?
Jim Kinsella

kens

Post by kens » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 pm

The Supra 1" shaft, strut & prop is the better idea from the start

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 pm

To determine gearing and propeller size to attain a desired speed, we will require more input before we can run the Shaft HP VS Speed Calculator :
  • Max BHP
    Max RPM
    Gear Ratio
    Weight
    Required maximum speed (MPH)
We''ll post the results as soon as you provide us with your data.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base

kens

Post by kens » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:57 am

Mr Hot Rod wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 pm
To determine gearing and propeller size to attain a desired speed, we will require more input before we can run the Shaft HP VS Speed Calculator :
  • Max BHP
    Max RPM
    Gear Ratio
    Weight
    Required maximum speed (MPH)
We''ll post the results as soon as you provide us with your data.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base
Paul,
I see you finally arrived to the point you need weight and HP into the formula, as I mentioned back on Aug 1.
All this charts and data is getting off topic of the OP. This extra charts and math is too much for the OP intent.
The OP has 2 donor boats and he wants to use the parts on hand, the 1:1 driveline is his best choice, we do not need all the charts and math to come to that conclusion.
Empirical data is conclusive enough:
1. Dave Lott had a 1.2 gear in Riviera, and he ran out of prop size, he was forced into custom prop size to hold engine RPM
2. Butch has a 1.2 gear, but he has a 25' boat, another foot of beam, and 1,000lbs weight over the OP.
3. All the other V8 guys at Gathering are 1:1 and use a 13x13 or 14x14 prop just fine and dandy
4. The chart you posted about hang the largest prop diameter possible, is not totally true. True for trawlers yes, but not planing hulls.
5. Read Gerr's book again, you're missing a lot
6. Planing hulls accept smaller diameter props, but trawlers accept largest diameter
7. 1.5:1 gear and 14x18 prop on a little hull like OP would have a tremendous prop walk in reverse, his rudder will be totally useless in reverse
8. 1.5:1 gear in a small hull like OP and he will likely run out of prop as Dave did in item #1 above (ie expensive custom)
9. I have personally run prop sizes from 14x17, 15x15, 16x16, 16x18, 17x14 4blade, the large diameter is not needed in calm water on plane.
10. The OP is not taking his BB offshore in 6' following seas, he doesnt need that kind of torque from a reduction gear
11. The OP has a 1:1 with 1" shaft, 13 or 14" prop already on hand, empirical data will show that to work fine and dandy
12. The 15x18 1 1/8" prop is not as easily exchanged for sizing, as a 14x13 1" will be. he can find these on Ebay.

monitor

Post by monitor » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Supra 1:1 tranny and all worked out fine so that is the plan now. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Jim Kinsella

HurricaneDR

Post by HurricaneDR » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Hey, I’m over in Evansville and planning a Torpedo build starting this fall. Would love to stop over sometime and see your build

monitor

Post by monitor » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Awsome! Can't wait to see that build. Give me a call or text any time, and come over. 681-3415
Jim Kinsella

Return to “Hankinson designs”