Tahoe 23 or ?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

kens

Re: Tahoe 23 or ?

Post by kens » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm really looking forward to your thread on Miss Chris. thats a beautiful design.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks Kens, I'm really looking forward to this build, it is a beautiful design and fits my needs and wants in many ways. It also stretched my typical thinking a bit as I lean a bit more modern as a rule. I will document it to the best of my ability.

T

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Tahti wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm
I've been a professional woodworker. I currently have a small, well appointed, 2000 square foot shop after moving to Florida. I also have access to additional space for storage. I still build a good bit of furniture and some cabinetry. I'm developing a line of wooden spearguns and I also build guitars. I look forward to building this boat and I respect the effort it takes because the same sort of effort has been a pretty big part of my life.
This should be a lot of fun to watch. And useful from a learning perspective. It sounds like you have had quite the experiences to hone your wood working skills. Looking forward to seeing the 28 foot "guitar"! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks Carl, somehow you'll always be "mrintense" and that is cool by me. Yes the boat will be much more of a really large, very curvaceous and sculpted furniture piece from a build perspective. Guitars are very micro detail and accuracy intensive with the gigantic learning curve of understanding tuning of the soundboard. All are woodwork yet very different beasts, I guess the allure for me is learning something new.

By the way, do you or anyone know of photos of a Miss Chris build? I've searched but perhaps I have not been correct in wording.

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

T-
Give this link a try. It has a slideshow of Miss Chris
Billy
https://www.boatbuilders.glen-l.com/mis ... /slideshow
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:03 pm

There's one in the Galleries on the Glen-L website although there don't appear to be any construction photos:

https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/miss-ch ... d-new-york

I'm not aware of anyone having documented building one on the forum. But it's a cold-mold ply design and plenty of those have been documented here on the forum. All the basic concepts will translate. I'd recommend the books "Boatbuilding with Plywood" and possibly several other books from this page:

https://www.boatdesigns.com/Books-Manua ... ducts/920/

Have fun! You'll quickly learn that building a boat is not at all like building furniture. There are almost no 90-degree joints. Probably a lot will translate over from guitar building. Just on a much larger scale.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 pm

billy c wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm
T-
Give this link a try. It has a slideshow of Miss Chris
Billy
https://www.boatbuilders.glen-l.com/mis ... /slideshow
Thx Billy, I saw his comments in my search but never could find any info.

Tahti

Post by Tahti » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Matt, I own the book. And the truth is fine furniture building is quite a bit more complex than most guitar building from a woodworking joinery aspect. Most nice acoustics have 1 true woodworking joint for the body to the neck. Those of us building optimized designs have taken structure a bit further. 90 degree joints and furniture? When they exist are still structural and often difficult to execute correctly. They lack the monocoque of the epoxied hull of a boat to hide deficiencies. Typical guitars share with modern cold formed boats that they are both a structure of simple glue joints rather than joinery though the precision is not comparable due to scale. I’m sure I’ll learn quickly how to butt join frames and support them with plywood and cover them with strips of plywood and epoxy a veneer. Damn! Self important much?

Sampot

Post by Sampot » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:58 am

Hi,

I'm also new on this forum and to boat building.

I've been lurking around for a few months, reading the threads and studying boat design and boat building from books.

I initially purchased the Monte Carlo plans, but I'm also thinking of changing to Miss Chris.

I really like the Muskoka region boats from the 1920's and 30's and Miss Chris seems very tempting. I'll probably do some modifications to it, but that's another story for later after I actually get the plans. And know more about what to do...

About the build photos. The earlier link from Billy C to the photos has a reply by the builder below the photos. If you click the builders name (Steve) in the second reply, it'll take you to his web page http://northernlightboatworks.com/ with more pictures of the build and some video as well.

Br,

Sampo
Helsinki
Finland

Return to “Hankinson designs”