Bob Brown’s Belle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

BobBrown55

Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am

... continuing this from my earlier (short) topic in the Power Boat section. This group seems more appropriate for my Belle Isle.

Finally have moved my Belle Isle build up to the top of my priorities. Finished the fiberglass on the bottom and sides and have been working on sanding it to prep for paint and varnish, the final steps before the flip!

I’ve been surprised at how much sanding the epoxy can and should take! Attached picture shows where I am, with the bottom sanded and the sides waiting their turn. Just going with 80 grit up to the boot stripe, which will be painted. Expect to go to finer grit for the sections to be varnished.

Looking at this and doing a bit of work to clean the epoxy dust off, that seems like a challenge, to get it clean enough for paint and varnish. Anyone have any secrets for that?
Attachments
_MG_4841.jpg
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

JimmY

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by JimmY » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, but it is a secret :lol:

Your craftsmanship look great so far.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BobBrown55

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Managed to clean the epoxy dust off, using all the methods I could think of, vacuum cleaner, cotton rags, wet cotton rags, and finally a tack rag. That stuff seems more difficult to clean up than good old wood dust. Glad to be done with the epoxy!

On Friday the 13th, I used a water level to mark the setup level on the side, used a green laser to mark the edge of the bottom paint, and tested the primer on a small section of the bottom. Anxious to get the rest of the bottom primed this coming week!
Attachments
img_3250.jpg
img_3249.jpg
img_3247.jpg
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

Return to “Hankinson designs”