Bob Brown’s Belle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

JimmY

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by JimmY »

Is CPES non-blushing? It looks like may need to clean and/or sand before applying more epoxy over it. I had a similar issue when I epoxies over an area that I had taped off with blue painter's tape. The tape left some residue that caused the epoxy to "bead up."
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

neel thompson wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 am
This is just a suggestion Bob..... I use West System and have found if you put on very thin coats later in the day as the temperature starts to drop, the results are much better. Not sure but, from your picture, it appears you are putting on very thick coats. Even though it doesn't look like you want, it certainly appears to be encapsulated.
Neel,

I'm having trouble getting the coats thin. It's not like the hull where the excess could be scraped off with a plastic spreader. Brush application is the only method that'l work in this space. Plus, the viscosity seems high due to the cool weather. I may try warming the epoxy more (as I saw in a video of a kayak builder, who was clearly an expert) though that will certainly reduce the pot life.

Thanks,

Bob
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

JimmY wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 am
Is CPES non-blushing? It looks like may need to clean and/or sand before applying more epoxy over it. I had a similar issue when I epoxies over an area that I had taped off with blue painter's tape. The tape left some residue that caused the epoxy to "bead up."
Jim,

The CPES does not appear to have any amine blush. I can't see it or feel it and I didn't see anything about it in the product documentation. Plus, I sanded a couple of sections, and that would have taken it off, but I had the same problem in those sections.

Thanks,

Bob

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

It won't hurt to wash it down with warm soapy water and rinse.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:17 am
I have never used cpes before, but does it get an amine blush? That is what it looks like. The surface needs to be cleaned with warm soapy water.
Hi Bryan,

As noted in an earlier comment, there's no evidence of amine blush. Still, you're right that it does look that way. I will try cleaning it with warm soapy water and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Bob

billy c

Post by billy c »

Bob, that is no fun to deal with, but I think you are on the right track by cleaning it up with water and trying to recoat a small section and see where you are at.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Thanks for the feedback. I washed and rinsed about 1/2 the interior today and applied West Systems epoxy to 2 sections, one that had a prior coat on it and one that had ‘only’ been sealed with CPES. The epoxy hasn’t fully cured yet, but it looks like it’ll be ok! By this point with the prior problem, I could already tell there was an issue. So, feeling much better about this.

I sure appreciate everyone’s input!

Bob

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

I'm planning the electrical system for my Belle. After much reading and review of the plans I bought from Glen-L, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. However, I'm struggling with the harness for the motor (which is a Mercruiser Scorpion 350 I bought back in 2014), though I think I found a good source at www.mercruiserparts.com, and with one question. I was planning on two batteries, one a starter and one a supply for 'house' power. However, the manual for the Mercruiser says its harness will deliver 15 amps with the basic harness, and up to 40 amps with an accessory relay kit. 15 amps will be way more than I expect to need, even if I play the sound system at full volume. So, the question is, should I rely on the motor's electrical system for power, or use a 'house' battery?

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

15 amps at 12 volts ain’t much.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

If nothing else, having that second battery is insurance in case the first battery is too low to start the motor.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

mrintense wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 am
If nothing else, having that second battery is insurance in case the first battery is too low to start the motor.
Carl, I agree. Definitely plan to have a second battery. Just trying to understand how it will interact with the power available from the motor, if at all.

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:51 pm
15 amps at 12 volts ain’t much.
Matt, good point. I need to finish my electrical plan so I know how much amperage is needed. There is an option with the motor for an accessory that’ll provide an additional 40 amps. Still, need to figure out how that’ll interact with a ‘house’ battery.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Bob, I got this battery switch
7650.png
7650.png (46.15 KiB) Viewed 5179 times
There is also a 65A version. It connects the two batteries to the engine, but keeps them separate. It will connect them if needed to start the engine
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Bob, I got this battery switch7650.png There is also a 65A version. It connects the two batteries to the engine, but keeps them separate. It will connect them if needed to start the engine
Hi Bryan A switch like that is in my plan, too.

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 »

Completed a dry, test run of the rudder and steering cable installation. I’d appreciate any comments on whether this configuration will work ok, specifically with the tiller at the top of the rudder shaft, and the safety collar just above the stuffing box.

By the way, it was a blast to get this set up and see the tiller move when I turned the wheel! I’m easily entertained. :D

img_4148.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”