FL Tahoe 23

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

djwalsh1960

FL Tahoe 23

Post by djwalsh1960 »

My Name is David Walsh.

I have been following reading this forum for a looooong time and finally purchased the plans for a Tahoe 23.

I have completed the building form and I am busy transferring the plans to plywood to make templates. As I gather materials to continue, I am having difficulty locating stock (Khaya, Sapele etc.) long and wide enough for the motor stringers (16' + ft.). I am wondering if anyone has some thoughts or experience with starting with 4/4 stock, scarfing and laminating to get to roughly 17' long and 8/8 thick. I can cut to length and plane to the width called out in the plans and I will offset the scarfs on the lenghts of stock to be laminated.

Once complete, will I have stringers that are strong enough?

Tony Hain

Re: FL Tahoe 23

Post by Tony Hain »

David,
That is what most people end up doing and has advantages of generally speaking a stronger stringer less prone to warping.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Thank you, Tony!

I had another question (of many, I am sure). The plans call for 3" wide stock on the frames unless otherwise noted. I assume that means that the width where floor members join side members is 3".

However in following your build and reviewing as many photos as members post, it appears that the widths at those junctions are far more than 3". Am I seeing things or are the frame members really 3" at those joints?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Welcome to the forum David,

The frames are 3" minimum. The bottom members of frame 1-8 are all 3". Also have a look at the Frames Drawing, Sheet 2. For example, frame 1 would be 3" at the chine and sheer and wider in the middle.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Hi Tom,

You have made it perfectly clear. I re-reviewed the plans and it's starting to sink in. I appreciate your welcoming the newcomer. I have been gobbling up information from everyone's posts and pictures for months...well...years. I feel like I know you all and I look forward to a great adventure.

Thank you, Tom.

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Well, I have scarfed some Sapele stock together to get the correct lengths for the stringers and laminated the finished boards together to get the width needed. This weekend I will shape and notch them per the plan. The scarfs look really even and tight. I offset the scarfs when laminating so that they do not lay on top of one another. I fabricated a jig for my table saw and with a little trial and more than one error, I was able to cut duplicate scarfs on each length and they came together like pieces in a jig-saw puzzle.

I would like to add a really boring photo of a very long board with a bunch of clamps, but I am struggling with figuring out how to upload. I have a way with computers you know... However, I am making progress.

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I was fortunate (lucky really) to find 20' Douglas Fir beams from a local supplier for my 21' build. Scarf and laminate away if it's the best you can get, it'll be plenty strong.
Attachments
20190716_200141.jpg
20190714_200428.jpg
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Hey Bluseman.

Someday, my workshop is going to look as organized and SPACIOUS as yours. The scarfing and laminating will create some pretty sturdy stringers. Now, I just need to figure out how to post photos.

kens

Post by kens »

Hi,
There is several Tahoe builds at the Gatherings.
The Gathering is a fine place to share build processes and build tips, and, boat rides.
Would like to see new builders there, a fun time.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

djwalsh1960

Making Progress

Post by djwalsh1960 »

It's going slowly but making progress. The stringers have been laminated, scarfted, notched and encapsulated. Frame 1 is finished and Frame 2 is nearly ready. The Fastening Schedule for the Tahoe calls for 1.5" screws to secure the frames to the deck beams. However, I have seen a number of photos of builds where carriage bolts were used. Would it be better to add a couple of bolts per frame member?
Attachments
First Frame.jpg
Who was it who said that there is no such thing as owning too many clamps?
Who was it who said that there is no such thing as owning too many clamps?

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Bolts at the deck beams? No, I'd use the 1 1/2" screws. The only place you need bolts are the junction of the stem to the keel and at the blocking for the motor stringers.
Attachments
20190803_152804.jpg

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Hi Roberta and Bluesman. I appreciate it. Looks like screws will work and bolts where the decks and frames join will add some strength. The stringers are laminated and scarfed. If you zoom in on the photo, you will be able to see one of the joints. 1.5" sringer width calls for a 42" scarf....that was fun! All joints have been epoxied along with fasteners. The stringers ( and now, Frame 1) have also been encapsulated in epoxy.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I miss read your post and was thinking frames to clips and stringers. Bolts are appropriate there. Screws and glue are fine with deck beams. I deleted my post to avoid confusion.

Roberta :oops:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I wouldn't use any bolts at the deck beam connection on the frames, you'll need to notch these corners later for the sheer / deck clamps and you'll want the bronze screws as they'll easily be cut if you need to (you will cut into one sooner or later, trust me). Plus the size of a bolt hole here would create a weaker joint, not a stronger one. Epoxy & screw these connections.

I'd stick to the instructions.

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

Thanks again. I will stay the course and even follow instructions when all else fails.

Return to “Hankinson designs”