Space Coast Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Feex

Space Coast Barrelback

Post by Feex »

OK, I'm going to finally start by build thread after getting all of the frames assembled and the motor stringers cut and notched, the stem and breasthook put together and the transom parts cut out. I'll post pics soon, but nothing you haven't seen before.

Observation about frame nails. I ran out of 1 1/4" nails by the time I got to #7. The way I read the instructions was 5 nails per frame member/gusset. That means 5 in the bottom frame member and five in the side frame member on EACH side. Nice and strong. However, as I reviewed builder's photos, I see a lot of builds with just five nails per gusset per side. That would explain why I ran out of nails, but am I the only one that reads the instructions this way? 5 min per frame member/gusset. Not 5 min. per gusset.

On the transom camber board attachment to the plywood, I see the use of pocket screws threading into the plywood. Wouldn't it be better to screw through the plywood into the hardwood of the camber board? The only risk I see with that approach is if you had to remove a camber board after the front frame pieces were installed, the screws would be covered. Maybe the camber boards are not a strength issue? That's my plan for now.

Also noticed some gussets that were assembled with screws had them plugged. I don't think it's a good idea to CSINK into plywood that deep, enough to plug them. Loosing significant ply strength. Just my $0.02. Not an issue with the ring nails.

When you beveled the transom frame boards the 12 degrees, did you also bevel the plywood (to the rear of the transom), or does the bevel start at the plywood interface of the frame board?

More to come!

specialk

Re: Space Coast Barrelback

Post by specialk »

I used a lot of stainless steel screws...
Keep in mind ..you will probably encapsulate all the frames with epoxy I did on my flats flyer...
BTW...i live in Port St. John....
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Feex

Post by Feex »

No SS screws!!
I'm in Indialantic.

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I used ~ 5 per frame member, so 9 or 10 per gusset and I didn't run out.

Transom - I think I biscuit joined the frames, then epoxy & ring nailed the plywood to the frame, it's not going anywhere.

The camber board is where the deck beam and deck battens notch into the transom and that gives you the curvature of the deck, side to side.

Bevel the whole edge, follow the drawings for the direction of angle. Note that much of this will get faired back later.
Attachments
20190713_161134.jpg
20190714_110823.jpg
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

specialk

Post by specialk »

Looks nice...
Keep up the good work...will have to get together one day..and check out your progress...
My build is...Flats Flyer Build S.C.
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Feex

Post by Feex »

Bluesman, thanks for the reply! I only received one box of 1 1/4" nails. I added a few screws for good measure on #6 (not 7) since I only had 1" nails available. It wasn't clear to cut the transom plywood a little larger. I think I can bevel the frame and account for the flat portion of the plywood with filler, as needed, later.

Feex

Post by Feex »

specialk, that's Bluesman's boat! :D

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I have quite a few nails left over from a previous build. I'd be happy to send you what you need as I'm finished with that part of the build. Send me a PM if you like and we can exchange addresses...I'm in Charleston SC.

I believe I used 5 or more per gusset...and I did not run out. If you ordered the fastener kit from Glen-L I would ask if you got the right amount. I had an entire box left over from the current build...and a box left over from my previous build.

Feex

Post by Feex »

mickfly, thanks for the offer. I'm good for now. I've re-supplied myself. Appreciate the offer!

Feex

Post by Feex »

I'd really like to get a read from Glen-L as to the intent of the note.

riplash

Post by riplash »

Hey neighbor. I am building a Calypso in Melbourne. Between 192 and Eau Gallie. So you are less than 10 miles away. I am at work now but hope to start calypso build thread tonight.

Ryan RIP lash.

kens

Post by kens »

I think I am going down to Jupiter, Fl to get some boat parts.
Maybe we could have lunch? I'd be on I-95.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Feex

Post by Feex »

kens, sorry I missed ya!

Feex

Post by Feex »

I think I am going down to Jupiter, Fl to get some boat parts.
Maybe we could have lunch? I'd be on I-95./quote]

Or did you even go yet?

kens

Post by kens »

haven't left yet, its a future planning thing, maybe a month out
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “Hankinson designs”