Fuel vent

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Hercdrvr

Fuel vent

Post by Hercdrvr »

I need to reroute the fuel vent on Barrelback, it has a low section collecting fuel. What If I run the vent line straight up to a deck vent will it splash gas out the vent ? I basically want to run the vent line parallel to the fill hose and mount the vent next to the fill cap. Seems like a simple solution to me, what am I missing here?
Matt B

Roberta

Re: Fuel vent

Post by Roberta »

I've seen recommendations to put a loop in the vent hose or run it straight out the side. Not a full circle loop. Just a bump up before the vent. I think the loop keeps fuel from running straight out and allows it to be drawn back in. I chose the loop. What ever you do, be mindful of where the fuel discharge will go to prevent it from winding up in the bilge or in your face. The vent should be higher than the fill neck.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

DavO

Post by DavO »

I saw this on the internet, hope it helps:

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page ... cat160.htm

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

You will want the vent to spill any fuel overboard and not on the boat. You also want to prevent any water from getting into the vent line, hence the loop over the screened vent fitting. Most boats vent on the side of the boat. I added a charcoal filter in the vent line to remove fumes.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

I also added a charcoal filter also with a loop from the tank up as high as I could and then down to the vent
Attachments
2F67A686-0157-46DF-AAC4-885CB2260EB2.jpeg
E324E02C-3806-40C9-B7CA-1B45B1FD56C2.jpeg

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Jimbob always has the most elegant solutions to a problem.

I put a large eye bolt into the cover board. The vent hose comes up from the tank, goes through the eye-bolt and down about six inches to the vent, which emerges on the hull, slightly aft of frame 1. I'll have a rear seat, slightly forward of frame 1 and while I don't anticipate ever filling the fuel tank with people sitting there, it made sense, in case there is fuel residue after a fill up.

Right now, I have the hose long enough that it drops a few inches below the vent nipple, but I'm planning to shorten the hose. That way, I'm assuming, I'll keep water out, but fuel won't collect in the hose.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

This is the vent line cannister I got. After looking at some classic boats that were inside at Sierra Boat Company and smelling the gas fumes there, I decided that I needed one. See link below:
Jim

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/perko ... mYQAvD_BwE
Attachments
efb5b8f02054e095544f533839779ca6_1.jpg
Jim Neeley

DavO

Post by DavO »

Not meaning to hijack Matt's thread here, but I am in the process of installing my vent line on my barrelback, and need to decide where to place the through-hull vent. Any comments, suggestions, or even photos would be greatly appreciated. Also, I like the idea of the charcoal cannister because I will be keeping my boat in the garage.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

After researching chris craft barrelbacks, I placed mine in the same place. It's about 5ft forward of the transom. (my boat was stretched to 20'.) I was able to find an original chris craft vent.
Jim
Attachments
20210519_092327.jpg
Jim Neeley

DavO

Post by DavO »

Thank you, this is a big help. This is exactly where I will place mine.

Return to “Hankinson designs”