Importer Standard

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

themansfield

Importer Standard

Post by themansfield »

New builder here, making preparations for a standard Importer. I have some questions regarding the specs that I'm hoping aren't unique to the Importer and can be answered by other camper builders.

1. I'm having trouble sourcing 3/16" plywood for the sidewalls, back wall, front wall, and roof (almost the entire camper...). The bill of materials describes these 3/16" pieces as "Int. Panel to Suit," as opposed to other plywood pieces that are described as Douglas Fir AC or AB. Would it be safe to assume that the 3/16" pieces don't have to be structurally-rated pieces of material? I can get nice poplar panels in 5.0mm that are close enough in size to 3/16", but I don't think they're intended for structure. Perhaps the frames glued to these poplar panels is strong enough? The other option would be to use a 1/4" structurally-rated panel, but the plans advise against using heavier material than is spec'd.

2. The plans state that the interior roofing is preferably 1/8" plywood with pre-finish to suit, but the bill of materials shows 3/16" plywood for the roof panels. Is it intended that the interior roof be structurally built with 3/16" plywood and then a 1/8" finished panel is placed on top of the 3/16" boards?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by themansfield on Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoodman

Re: Importer Standard

Post by hoodman »

Is it the interior wall paneling? If so I would think that it's non-structural.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

themansfield

Re: Importer Standard

Post by themansfield »

Yes, all plywood is installed on the interior of the frames. The exterior is aluminum siding only. I framed the side walls yesterday and I can see that the plywood will be needed to add strength. I bailed on the corrugated fasteners because the joints weren’t coming out good and tight, so I used pocket screws. Much more work but the frame is very sturdy and true. I´m leaning toward 1/4” ACX for the walls because I don’t think the pretty poplar will be happy with the forces.

Return to “Glen-L RV's”