Steve B.'s ZZZIP Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Hercdrvr

Re: Steve B.'s ZZZIP Build

Post by Hercdrvr »

Always great to see a beautiful boat on the water for the first time. How did she perform?
Matt B

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

We had the clan here for the weekend, and the registration came in on Saturday so... SPLASH!. Terrible weather (rain and 40s..) this whole weekend, but on Sat PM we had a break! The Mrs did a sweet christening and naming ceremony and off I went!

Performance wise, I need to adjust the throttle cable (no big deal). But the big issue is porposing. I can trim it on plane to about 24 MPH, (4500RPM) but over that it starts to bounce...badly! It was dead calm flat on Saturday and no other boats on the lake. I seem to have a very narrow tight trim window. I'm going to pull it out tomorrow and check the ACav plate alignment with the bottom of the hull. Since it is pretty back heavy with the 40HP 4S Merc, I added some weight (steel railroad rail) of about 60# to the bow. It's a little better but still bounces above 25 MPH. I've got a fin coming and will try that too... IF THE WEATHER WOULD ONLY COOPERATE!!!! (it's raining again! Ugh)
--Steve
Building a ZZZIP!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

You definitely need to keep the bow down. Any nose down trim or additional weight up front will help. Some builders have experimented with wedge blocks added to the bottom by the transom. You could temporarily attach them with double sided tape. They might stay on long enough to see if they are going to help.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Thanks Roberta! Ill try those wedge blocks. Like trim tabs I suppose?
Building a ZZZIP!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

That's pretty much what they do. Non adjustable. People generally make them from scrap. They get attached to the aft edge of bottom. not sure about how big you need. I would try about a foot long, 2" wide and tapered from about 1/4" at the back to a point in front. Place them about a foot from the keel centerline so they span out about a foot to either side. You can epoxy coat them and stick them on with double sided tape. This will give you a cheap way to start and see if you have too much or not enough.

My Zip was pretty stable in calm water even at speeds above 30. You probably have too much weight in back and ran out of bow down trim. Very common with a Zip to get too much weight aft. I rarely put passengers in the aft seat and had my fuel tank mounted in the bulkhead between the seats.

If you have changing conditions regarding weight distribution and can't correct trim with the motor, you might want to consider adjustable trim tabs. I put Lenco trim tabs on the Torpedo. They made the boat rock solid in just about any water. My large 40 gallon tank in the aft of the boat made it bow light when full. It was nice to adjust the tabs for changing conditions.

Good luck.

Roberta

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

The motor is about 1” too low. I don’t want to raise it up if I have other options since the steering arm would conflict with the finished deck! I’d have to cut into the deck... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I made some wedges from leftover HDPE scraps. They’re about 3” wide and 9” long, tapered from 3/8” to zero. Also mounted the whale tail. I’ll report back later after the sea trial.
Last edited by Steve B. on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building a ZZZIP!

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

SUCCESS!! It handles like a dream now! I had it up to 36 MPH before the ride got too scary... But the porposing is GONE!!!

Thanks SO much for your help Roberta!
Building a ZZZIP!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Congratulations and you are very welcome. Enjoy.

Roberta :D

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

The temporary trim shims fell off right after the sea trials. But now I’ve installed Bennet SLT6 trim tabs. These should do the trick!
C019D5C5-571B-4B29-825C-AD9ED9DE2B28.jpeg
Building a ZZZIP!

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Oh and this… 8) 8) 8)
AA8D17C9-4798-4960-A843-810BD2C6AE0F.jpeg
Building a ZZZIP!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

What's nice about adjustable trim tabs is you can trim differently for changing conditions and loading. I really like them on the Torpedo. I'm sure they will be a great asset on the Zip.

Roberta :D

xoo000oox

Post by xoo000oox »

Do you know how much that motor weighs?

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

It's 204 lbs. A tad heavy for the Zip!
Building a ZZZIP!

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

The trim tabs are a lifesaver! Perfect ride and control all the way up to WOT. Planes nicely around 18 MPH and 4000 RPM. All the porpoising is gone!
Building a ZZZIP!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

:D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Small outboards”