Another Aussie Zip!

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

laubenthal

Re: Another Aussie Zip!

Post by laubenthal »

Look at my 1/4 gussets on frame 4 "Jim's Michigan Zip"
They are almost identical to the gussets used in the pre-cut Zip kit.
Jim
Lachlan1

Post by Lachlan1 »

laubenthal wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 am Look at my 1/4 gussets on frame 4 "Jim's Michigan Zip"
They are almost identical to the gussets used in the pre-cut Zip kit.
Thanks Jim, I think that might be my answer.
Lachlan1

Post by Lachlan1 »

Merry Christmas everyone, hope everyone had a great day. Not much has been happening around here among work commitments and then the countless post-lockdown catch-ups/end of year parties. Lately I’ve been fairing the frames and cutting and fitting the plywood, slowly getting ready to start “planking”.

So far I have had a couple hurdles to get over through the fairing process but I’m sure they won’t be my last.
One mistake I won’t be making again is using a belt sander with a 40grit belt to fair the frames. Very quickly took about 3mm too much from frame 4 so I’ve had to glue a piece on a re-fair the frame. Using a No.4 hand plane may seem slow at first but it is much quicker than having to fix something and start fairing again.

Then next problem I had was with the way the chines met at the stem. I did the whole ‘let them lay naturally and don’t force them’ method but it seems I still didn’t get them right. Nothing seemed to be sitting right whilst I was fairing the stem so I decided to glue another piece on the outside of the chines to see if that helped and it certainly did.

A question I had for anyone reading along is what is the consensus on joining plywood sheets with but joints and plywood backers? Should I glue them together first before gluing them to the frames or glue on one sheet and then the other? I was going to do one at a time but the forward sheet has a bit of an outward curve at frame 4 and the rear sheet currently doesn’t have any curve the way it is sitting now and I’m worried if I glue the rear first that they won’t meet smoothly.

Hoping to pick up the pace in the new year so I’ll hopefully be posting my progress a bit more often.
Hope everyone has a safe New Years celebration
Thanks for reading, Lachlan.
9AE03654-12C9-484F-B3DD-679C9173DF21.jpeg
7CE202D9-2729-4F88-9C7A-27A1872C8689.jpeg
Lachlan1

Post by Lachlan1 »

So I have another question. I noticed today whilst fitting the plywood that there is a noticeable bump in the plywood at frame 5-1/5. What is the best way to fix this? I’m worried that if I fair much more off the outside of frame 5-1/2 that it will affect the shape of the hull.
Thanks
Attachments
B7BC3D75-2A05-4905-9426-C78DFF1FE183.jpeg
vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Looks like you need to fair a bit more of the frame especially as it gets closer to the sheer.
Lachlan1

Post by Lachlan1 »

vupilot wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:15 pm Looks like you need to fair a bit more of the frame especially as it gets closer to the sheer.
Thanks for the feedback, that seems to have done the trick

Return to “Small outboards”