Pee Wee Build ( Melbourne )

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

hzchevy

Re: Pee Wee Build

Post by hzchevy »

Bill,

To be very honest it hasnt been cheap, but I think Ive said it before that... what hobby is cheap.
Ive actually lost count and will only know the true cost when it comes time to register it. As here in Melbourne, Aus I have to show proof that I built it with receipts.
It comes down to what materials you use. I used Tasmanian oak for the skelton of the boat. This itself is not cheap but spread out over the last couple of years bit by bit I havent noticed it as much.
To put a rough figure on it so far its well over $1000 and I believe by the time I finish including motor, trailer, steering etc it will come in at around $3000~3500.
Im not sure if this is expensive as Ive never done this before but its been a labour of love for me. :)

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

NEW PICS..

Here are the current progress pictures. Just waiting on some stuff to arrive from the states as Ive been unable to find what Im looking for here in Australia. Its coming along slowly.

Excuse the mess in the background :)
Attachments
img_8144i.jpg
IMG_8145i.jpg
IMG_8143i.jpg

chubs

Post by chubs »

Looks fantastic! What's the white paint you're using in the interior? Is that some kind of waterproofing paint?

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

MORE NEW PICS OF LATEST UPDATE....Last 2 weeks Ive been able to finish the transome area, install the steering set up, fill the bow area with foam, put the top deck on and undercoated it. The only things left now are to work on the seating arrangement and work out how to put a Throttle lever on that does both shift/throttle.
Attachments
PEEWEE PROJECT 131i.jpg
PEEWEE PROJECT 132i.jpg
PEEWEE PROJECT 125i.jpg

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

Hey guys just another quick update. Its been a long journey but its nearly finished. A few more things to sort out but hopefully within the next few months it will see the water.
Attachments
IMG_8351i.jpg
IMG_8350i.jpg
IMG_8349i.jpg

chubs

Post by chubs »

Wow, that is looking simply incredible!

I really like the clear timber stripes down the sides of the deck.

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

Thanks chubs. Its been a bit of hard work but its getting there. Those side planks are actually painted orange. Its just poor lighting where it is. Wait till I finally get it outside for some better shots its actually pretty bright haha.

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

And another Pee Wee is born! Congrats. Any ETA on when you might float her the first time?
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

Thanks Iggy. I am hoping sometime early in the new year it will get floated. Hopefully New Years Day with a bottle of champagne. :D That would be nice. Im currently getting shift and throttle cables made up to suit my shifter. Then a few little pieces here and there and off for registration. Ive just finished knocking up a seat.
Here is the latest.
Oh and Ive ordered my Glen-L Boatbuilder Cap to wear on its first outing. Thanks Gayle.
Attachments
IMG_8433i.jpg
IMG_8422i.jpg

chubs

Post by chubs »

Now that is looking very neat!
What size outboard did you go with? I can't make it out in the photos.

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

Gday chubs. I brought a 6hp first but then I found a 9.9 so I brought that aswell. The 9.9 is currently on the back :)

chubs

Post by chubs »

I bet it'll fairly fly with a 9.9 :)

I've a mate who tells me that most 10hp motors share the same block as the 15hp variants, with simply a restrictor on the carby to drop the power. He said he got the restrictor removed on his at the first service. Although that may all be simply hearsay...

hzchevy

Post by hzchevy »

So New Years has come and gone and unfortunately building has stalled again. Extreme heatwaves, bushfires and a break up ( she left me the dog though :D ) have seen me almost stop work. I have managed to hook the throttle and shifts cable up with my own custom design and brackets.
Slowly but surely I will get there.
Attachments
IMG_8801i.jpg
IMG_8798i.jpg
IMG_9009i.jpg

chubs

Post by chubs »

I like the shifter, very neatly mounted.

Lil Jon

Post by Lil Jon »

Your pee wee is looking good. My daughter loves her pee wee, much better for a kid than a jet ski in my opinion. I even get to ride sometimes. We started with a 1956 5.5hp johnson, the girls came back after the first ride and said "more power Dad". We then tried a 2 stroke 1955 10hp johnson, that really did the trick, 25 mph with my 90 lb daughter in it. This year we tried a 1980 2 stroke 15 hp johnson. Now it jumps on plane and will top out at 26 mph with both of us in it (total 250 lbs).
Attachments
507.JPG

Return to “Small outboards”