Roberta's Super Spartan

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Roberta's Super Spartan

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm

I glued up the bottom plank today. If I had a 4'X10' panel, the butt joined panel would not be necessary, but I didn't so I layed up the parts and glued and screwed it on the table. The blocks will ensure the joint is nice and flat. Earlier I ripped the bottom battens and chines. I had some left over white oak, so I used that for the chines. Menards, a local Wisconsin version of Home Depot, had some decent Philipine mahogany I purchased for the battens. The chines have a 45 deg. bevel on the sides for the side planking and I also rounded over the inside edges on those as well as the edges on the bottom battens for pilot comfort.

I needed one more 6 mm Okoume panel for the rest of the bottom planking and runner planks, so I was able to pick that up at a place called Kettle Moraine hardwoods. They have two locations in SE Wisconsin. One in Caledonia and one near Hartford. They stock a lot of good hardwood and also stock marine plywood like the Okoume and Maranti. I think I will use the Maranti 4 mm for the deck as it is a little darker than the Okoume and will match the mahogany better. I plan to paint the bottom white unless I do a really perfect job on the planking. Ahhh, paint covers a multitude of sins!!!

This boat build uses no building form, but the instructions need to be followed in order to get it all together properly. I will follow them with great intrepidation :!: :D

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Bottom plank on layout table being glued up.

Chines and battens ready for installation.

Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Iggy

Re: Roberta's Super Spartan

Post by Iggy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 pm

I didn't even know you where working on a 2nd boat Roberta. I must have missed that thread ;)

I am, of course, looking forward to seeing another Roberta-Built boat being made!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Looking great as usual Roberta,

What do you do in the area of the butt block as far as the battens and corner longitudinal (....what do they call the longitudinal at the junction of the bottom and the sponsons on a hydro?chines?)

Do you notch the members to fit over the blocks? :?:

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Geez Roberta, can't you give me a chance to get something looking pretty even, before you go and shame us again with your insanely gorgeous work!!!!!!
Gotta love concrete blocks though :wink:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Hey, Track!! The secret is to alternate the blocks so they look prettier. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Ian!! I picked up the frame kit last year at G5. Jimmy 70 was very kind and sold it to me. He is a very Special Guy!!!! :D :D :D :D

Warren. The butt bock plate does not interfere with anything. The aft chines and battens run from the transom to the butt block. The runner chines are glued and screwed to the bottom of the plank up front. The runner chines, runner non-trip chines, and the bow piece form the sponsons and are also planked with 1/4" ply. These all tie into the # 2 & 3 frames. I will make frequent photo updates as this is a very different build than a traditional hull.

Today, I was also doing some cleaning and painting of the Merc 110 that will power this thing. The motor seems to be in great shape and I will set it up for the kids until that get bored and I need to get them something faster. I need to get a more pitchy prop. I have a 9" X 9" and would like to get a 10 or 11" pitch.

pamelalynne1

Post by pamelalynne1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:58 pm

You could have at least painted them pink and blue. :lol: :lol: :lol:

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Great Roberta, I'm really interested in following this build. Keep em coming.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:06 am

Wonderful, Roberta!

I have been reading the thread on your "Oliver IV" build. I'm looking forward to following this one, too! Will this one be "Oliver V"?

-Michael
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks, Mike and Chris! I have a special name for this boat. It will be named after another very special person. TBAL.

Pam, did you mean I should paint the bricks? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Roberta on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nard

Post by Nard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:43 am

Good start Roberta, maybe this will get me up to cleaning shop so I can get back to my Scooter build.
Nard

pamelalynne1

Post by pamelalynne1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 am

Absolurely!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Today I layed out the lines to position screw holes for the chines, battens, and runner chines. The joint I did yesterday turned out great with just a little sanding to remove some glue runoff. I used a scrap piece of plywood when drilling all the holes to minimize tearout and I mildly countersunk all the holes that would need some filling to cover the screw heads. This worked well on the Zip, but you can't overdo it.

I also cut the aft sides as the plans recommend attaching them to the aft chines before installing them. There is a 45 deg bevel on the chines and once the side planks are attached, I will bevel the plank to match the chine. Then these will be installed with the frame members and shears. I will install the battens tomorrow

I clamped the runner chines in position and drilled a locating hole in the aft end. Then I removed the chines for gluing. I put a generous amount of glue on the bottom plank, then reclamped the chines to it one at a time. The locating hole was screwed in first and the assembly was flipped to make it easier to install the screws. I drilled the holes two or three at a time and installed the screws going from aft to the bow. The reason I did this was because the runners have an arc to them and I did not want a bubble in the plywood bottom along the joint. Then I repeated the process for the other runner.

Here are some pics of todays progress.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Here is a pic of the runner chine clamped to the bottom. I set all the screws in this position, but I had the assembly inverted when I glued it up and set the locating screw.

Here is a pic of the runners installed.

This pic shows the side planks and all the holes I drilled for the battens and chines

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Hum, say it ain't so,,,,no glue on the clamps, especially the shafts of them... Whats has this world come to, Just wait till the Chipper checks in too. :wink: :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:29 pm

I need a high res pic to show off all the glue on the tools. I try to wipe them down before the glue cures, but sometimes, OOPS!!!

Roberta :lol: :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 pm

lookin' good Roberta....glad someone's doing a thread on this build as this is a great parents/kids first boat project, and to see it done right will help others.

I think I've sent you this before,but it's relevant now.....some good tips in here as far as bottoms,chines,fins,balance,engine height etc:

http://www.antiqueoutboardmotor.info/Ga ... elt_1.html

Look for the next button near the top! :wink:

Return to “Small outboards”