Roberta's Super Spartan

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bill CNC

Re: Roberta's Super Spartan

Post by Bill CNC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Roberta,

I have been talking with a bunch of people that race the small hydros, C class and such. The biggest thing I'm getting when asking about steering, ... is if your going to get a motor that really pushes the Spartan, ... you need to dump the springs. They'll just make the motor wag left/right at high speed, which could be decremental to the transom.

Also, ... Tie the motor down with a strap/rope from the transom, around the lower unit and back to the transom. This will keep the motor from kicking up. Which could be a VERY bad thing. Damage to the transom or kick the motor with a spinning prop INTO the boat, with the business end coming right at you. :shock:

I attached a picture of one of the guys boats who told me about it. Look at the tie down on the lower unit. It is tight enough to allow steering, but not loose.

Bill

Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Hey, Bob!! My garage is actually an attached hangar. The cars never have to be left outside. It's 1800 sq ft. I no longer have an airplane in it, so I have plenty of room for the boats.

Thanks, Bill. I was wondering about those springs. I may use them for convenience on the Merc 110, but anything larger (motor) will be set up properly. I never used them when I was running a D class hydro in high school. The 110 is so benign, it's hardly worth worrying about.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

D-Perez

Post by D-Perez » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Roberta Hegy wrote:The rotary unit itself would not be a problem on the Super Spartan, but the bend in the cable could be as it leaves the helm. It might be necessary to penetrate the coaming (or go under it) and route it along the outside of the coaming under the deck, then exit the deck back near the transom. Then a bend to the tilt tube. Certainly do-able. I was going to do that, but wanting to use vintage race motors later on, I chose to install the proper gear for that and temporarily rig the Merc 110 for this year. This motor won't push the boat fast enough to be a problem.

Roberta :D
Thank you, would you use the standard measurement to determine the length of the cable or use a longer cable and make a sweeping bend/loop under the front of the boat?

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 am

No idea since I did not go that route. I would try to make the loop as large as practical to reduce friction.

D-Perez

Post by D-Perez » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:40 am

I really like the way you raised the dash. How much taller did you make the dash?

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:57 am

Thank you!! I raised it about 2" from the original design.

D-Perez

Post by D-Perez » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 am

Roberta Hegy wrote:Thank you!! I raised it about 2" from the original design.

Is that enough to be comfortable sitting down or do you wish you went higher?

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 pm

You actually don't sit in this type of boat, you kneel down in it. It is often necessary to lean out over the bow to get it to plane out. Sitting with your legs out front is not practical in this boat and would inhibit weight shifting.

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Not to mention pretty dangerous. The bow is only inches from the water and it is extremely easy to stuff the nose in a wake. Nothing like your legs being down those little holes when you stuff the bow!

Bill
Bill

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Hey, Bill!! I just picked up a nice patio chair cushion at Walmart to set in the cabin floor. 20 bucks. Much cheaper than having one made and just about perfect in size. It's about 20 X 42 inches and nicely padded. Also the 3 gal. Moeller tank fits nicely below the knee.

D-Perez

Post by D-Perez » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:11 pm

I understand about weight shifting to get on plane and that kneeling is how you're supposed to be positioned. I have bad knees so I won't be kneeling for long. I want to make a back rest so once it's on plane I can sit back and enjoy the ride. I plan to use the boat on early mornings when the river isn't very busy.

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:50 pm

D-Perez wrote:I understand about weight shifting to get on plane and that kneeling is how you're supposed to be positioned. I have bad knees so I won't be kneeling for long. I want to make a back rest so once it's on plane I can sit back and enjoy the ride. I plan to use the boat on early mornings when the river isn't very busy.
There is not much room inside width ways and your body has to be in the same position as if you were kneeling so you stay within the same over all CG of the boat.

Where are you going to put your knees and feet?

Bill
Bill

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Like Bill mentioned earlier, it would not be a good idea to have your legs and feet crammed under the dash board, in the vent of a mishap. Maybe you could open up the area so your legs would be out in the open. Kinda like in a Go-Cart.

Roberta

D-Perez

Post by D-Perez » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37 am

Roberta Hegy wrote:Like Bill mentioned earlier, it would not be a good idea to have your legs and feet crammed under the dash board, in the vent of a mishap. Maybe you could open up the area so your legs would be out in the open. Kinda like in a Go-Cart.

Roberta
Like sitting in a go-cart is more like I had envisioned.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 am

If you really need to sit in the boat, I would consider opening up the area in front of the dash. I do not know what boat you have or how it is made so I could not suggest how to do it. The area between the coamings, in front of the dash, on the Super Spartan could be modified to allow the legs to be out in the open and a narrow dash made to support the steering. You'd be on your own to design that. In reality, a small three point hydro is not a good boat to sit in and cruise around. You need to be on your knees to throw your weight around to maintain balance and control for steering and stability. You're almost a jockey on a race horse in these things.

Return to “Small outboards”