Bingo Lake Run

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Mark45

Bingo Lake Run

Post by Mark45 »

Hey Everyone, well It only took 2 years to get this video on utube of the Bingo running around the lake, I guess I was to busy having fun with it. Still working on the build story, I have most pictures in the gallery but have not started the story yet. Anyways, the boat handles better than I expected for a home made boat. Slides a bit on turns but thats fine with me, makes it more fun, I could put a skeg on it if I wanted but I dont think I will. Its powered in the video by a 1985 30HP Johnson, top speed was 32MPH. My son David took the video from an island I dropped him off at. I have already purchased a new motor for it and will be rigging it this spring. I got a Tohatsu 50HP new from the boat show up here in Toronto. Its a fuel injected 2 stroke, only weighing 200lbs so good HP to weight ratio, should be a lot easier on gasoline too. But most of all, should be a lot of fun this summer.

Check out the video on utube!
Take care all......Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGittRRO4M

Bill Edmundson

Re: Bingo Lake Run

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Great footage!

You looked like you were trimmed a little high at first. But, the shots at speed looked just right.

Good work.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark45

Post by Mark45 »

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Motor was trimmed at the lowest pin, the new motor will have power trim and tilt. Battery is located up front as far as I could, about halfway up the bow to help with the weight issues on the stern, but I may put a sand bag way up at the bow peak when the new motor is on, will see what happens and how it sits and runs in the water. That Johnson weighs about 135 to 140lbs, so I will be adding 60lbs to the back end but gaining 20HP. The Evinrude etecs 50HP 2 strokes weigh in at 240lbs. Quite a difference there. There is no room for the gas tank up front, because of peoples legs I would rather have that in back anyways.

Mark

jeffh

Post by jeffh »

How timely you are with this video :) I just bought Bingo plans and will probably build it over next winter. I've built a stitch and glue boat before, so I'm very familiar with them and learned some nice s&g tricks on that build. My goal is to start on it in Oct/Nov and launch it the next spring. If you have a build site or some photos of the build, I'd love to see them.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Great boat and video, thanks for posting. Its gonna fly with 50hp! yikes.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looks Great!! 50 hp!!! Hang on tight!!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mark45

Post by Mark45 »

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Jeffh, I have quite a few pictures of the build but they are still in my gallery so you would not be able to veiw them. I dont know when i will get around to posting the story with some of the pictures. If you give me your email address, it would be easier for me to send you over some pictures that way. Are we allowed to give email address's on here? What s&g boat did you build previously?
As far as s&g tricks, this was the first ever boat I made, I learned alot from it, I dont know if I learned any tricks though. What I did learn was how to mix alot of West System.....LOL, sore arms for sure. Maybe you could teach me something.....

mark

John K

Post by John K »

Mark45, You can always shim the motor mount to get a more trim. On my flying saucer I have an aluminum shim starting at 1 inch and tapering to a point. This gave me more than enough trim without adding any weight to the front. Also picked up about 2 MPH.

Mark45

Post by Mark45 »

John, Im trying to picture this shim you put on, and where you got it or did you make it? Do you have a picture of this?
Thanks for your advice on that.

Mark

jeffh

Post by jeffh »

Mark,
Do a search for outboard engine wedge. Here is a link to one.
http://www.iboats.com/Transom-Wedge/dm/ ... w_id.40151
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

John K

Post by John K »

John K wrote:Mark45, You can always shim the motor mount to get a more trim. On my flying saucer I have an aluminum shim starting at 1 inch and tapering to a point. This gave me more than enough trim without adding any weight to the front. Also picked up about 2 MPH.
My friend welds and made them for me. I made them first from some scrape white oak to make sure the dimensions were correct. They actually fit between the transom and the motor mounts on each side. The wide part fits at the top. I made sure that they were wide enough so the transom bolt would go thru and hold them in place.

The link from Jeffh above is what I had made.

If I was you, make them from wood first and see if they help. I would have to take mine out to show a picture.

Mark45

Post by Mark45 »

Ok, thanks, I get the idea now. I will see how the new engine performs and make a decison at that time I guess. Thanks for all your help guys. Still have a few months to go for me up here in cold Ontario. Ice usually doesnt leave the lakes till 1st or 2nd week in April.

Mark

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

As far as e-mails,no restrictions on here, but.... I would PM them rather than posting in open forum for your own sake! :wink: :D

Return to “Small outboards”