Minimaxed underway!

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Re: Minimaxed underway!

Post by Roberta »

Fiberglass cloth just has a tendency to unravel when cut. Cut wide so you have some overhang to trim off later. Trimming while the resin and cloth are in the "green" stage is easiest with a sharp utility knife. Green stage is when the resin is starting to get hard, and the cloth that is overhanging and resin coated is a little pliable, yet still well stuck to the substrate.

The boat is looking Great!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

justagp

Post by justagp »

Some slow progress since last update. The hull is fiberglassed, and the coamings and motorboard installed.
Next steps: apply fillets and fiberglass to the cockpit/motorboard junctions, figure out the geometry of the steering system, create mount for motor controls, and complete epoxy coats and paint!

Almost there! I'm as excited as my kids!
Attachments
boat.JPG

justagp

Post by justagp »

Wow - over a month since my last post! Slow progress last month since busy with many other activities.
The bottom is primed now, just about to put the first coat of paint on the bottom.
I used Interlux Epoxy Primekote for the primer - it went on very nicely with a dense foam roller.
Next I'm applying Interlux Brightside Polyurethane paint - I'm hoping it will do fine for the whole hull on a boat that probably won't sit in the water all the time.
My children have picked the colour scheme: "Fire Red" for the bottom, cockpit, coamings and motorboard and "Yellow" for the deck and sides.
My son also wants a red "racing stripe" down the middle of the deck but we'll see how it looks before going that route.
Hopefully it won't look like a McDonald's promotional vehicle! I hope to complete all the painting over the next few days so that we can launch her next weekend!
Attachments
photo (1).JPG

justagp

Post by justagp »

Almost there! Doesn't look too much like the "McDonald's Express" (I hope).
Paint is far from perfect but the kids go back to school in just 3 weeks so I have to get this boat in the water!
I guess it'll be a "20-footer" (looks good from 20 feet away) :) .
Installation of motor and steering in next couple of days then hopefully launch day this weekend!
Sorry for the grainy photos...action photos next!
Attachments
Minimax stern.JPG
Minimax bow.JPG

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

The great thing about paint on a boat like this is that you can always fix it up when you're ready to repaint.

Looking through your post brought back memories of summers on Lake of Bays with my brother's sea flea. It had one of those 20 ft. paint jobs, too. I believe each of us sunk it once, if I recall correctly. Didn't use flotation foam back in those days. We had a 1957 Evinrude 10 hp that pushed it along very nicely. Your Merc should do the same. Should be some great memories for your kids.

Keep up the good work. I hope you make your launch date. Keep us posted.

BTW, what part of Ontario are you from? I grew up in Kitchener.
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

justagp

Post by justagp »

Almost ready for launch! Some minor mods to my old trailer and we'll be ready to go later today!

Cable steering set-up and remote control box installed. Minor issue is that the steering friction on the motor is a bit too stiff. I'm worried it's placing undue strain on the cable set-up.
Can anyone out there tell me how to adjust the steering friction on my 1969 Mercury 9.8? I can't find the screw and it's not described in my Seloc manual. (Roberta - I think you have this same motor - I also pm'd you to ask for help!).

Barry - thanks for the encouragement! We live in southeastern Ontario - not too many "Seafleas" around here nowadays, but many people I meet have a story from their childhood about a boat just like ours.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

This is a photo of a newer motor but the system is about the same. You will need to hold the bolt and turn the nut. Some did not have the nut? Also ckeck the friction pads. May be worn out?
Randy
Attachments
tiller.JPG
DSC06142.JPG
DSC06141.JPG

justagp

Post by justagp »

Thank you very much for the help!
Even with stiff steering the launch went very well! The kids are absolutely thrilled!
Here are a couple of photos of launch day - even "Gramps" came to watch!
I uploaded my first video ever to YouTube to prove it (sorry it's short and the light wasn't very good by then, but you'll get the idea): http://youtu.be/ZCYB1m2IFSg
Attachments
Launch day 2.JPG
photo (6).JPG

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

VERY GOOD! :P All you need is a kill switch and the old guy out of the boat! I know, my Mom said I was to young and I needed a Adult with me. :roll: Bummer. Oh,and a boating safety class!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Those are some happy kids!!!!! Bravo!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Happy kids, indeed. Looks like dad was pretty happy too.

Congratulations! You met your goal of launching during the 2013 boating season!
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

SeaPea

Post by SeaPea »

Nice work!
Craig

SUP
Riviera

justagp

Post by justagp »

35.5 km/h (22 mph) with just under 135 kg (300 lbs) of human cargo (father and son) by GPS tonight.
Thanks for the help with the steering tension. I was trying to figure it out with the motor on the boat - very hard to see the adjustment bolt in that position!
Steering worked great tonight after decreasing the tension a bit.

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC »

VERY NICE!!!! :wink:

I'm about to start one myself, ... :shock:

I'm getting tired of renting a chase boat when I take the Spartan out and the TNT isn't even close to finished. It's a fast build so it will do until the TNT hits water. After that, ... it will go to the grand kids. Then I imagine, I'll be chasing them. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Regards
Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Congrats! It sure looks like it runs nicely.

Return to “Small outboards”